John Robert Anderson (psychologist)Jump to: navigation, search
Template:Primarysources John Robert Anderson (born August 27, 1947 in Vancouver, British Columbia) is a professor of psychology and computer science at Carnegie Mellon University. He is widely known for his cognitive architecture ACT-R (Anderson, 1993). He has published many papers on cognitive psychology, served as president of the Cognitive Science Society, and received many scientific awards, including one from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is a fellow of the National Academy of Sciences.
Anderson was also an early leader in research on intelligent tutoring systems, such as cognitive tutors, and many of Anderson's former students, such as Kenneth Koedinger, have become leaders in that area.
Anderson studied psychology at the University of British Columbia and Stanford from 1964 to 1974. Gordon Bower was his doctoral advisor. He went on teaching at Yale. Since 1978, he has worked as a professor at Carnegie Mellon University. From 1988 to 1989, he was president of the Cognitive Science Society. In 2004 he won the David E. Rumelhart Prize for Contributions to the Formal Analysis of Human Cognition, and in 2006 he was the recipient of the inaugural Dr A.H. Heineken Prize for Cognitive Science.
- Anderson, J. R. (1983). The Architecture of Cognition. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Anderson, J. R. (1980). Cognitive psychology and its implications. San Francisco: Freeman.
- Anderson, J. R. (1990). The Adaptive Character of Thought. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- American psychologists
- Cognitive scientists
- Educational psychologists
- 1947 births
- Living people
Navigation WikiDoc | WikiPatient | Up To Date Pages | Recently Edited Pages | Recently Added Pictures Create a New Page | Become an Editor | Editors Help Menu | Create a Page | Edit a Page | Upload a Picture or File | Printable version | Maintain Pages | What Pages Link Here | Quality Improvement
There is no pharmaceutical or device industry support for this site and we need your viewer supported Donations | Editorial Board | Governance | Licensing | Disclaimers | Avoid Plagiarism | Policies Tweet Follow @wikidoc
- What links here
- Related changes
- Special pages
- Printable version
- Permanent link
- Page information
- Browse properties
In other languages
- This page was last edited 05:48, 22 May 2008 by Jacki Buros (bot). Based on work by Alexandra Almonacid and wikidoc anonymous user Neiltheffernaniii.
- Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License unless otherwise noted; All rights reserved on Board Review content.