Of special importance to the Swedish Collegium for Advanced Study are the collaborative relationships that have
developed with nine leading institutes for advanced study within the so-called SIAS group (Some Institutes for
Advanced Study), a network of which the Collegium was a founding member in 1991. The member institutes,
whose directors meet annually, interact continuously. SCAS hosted the annual meetings in November 1995, June
2001, June 2010 and June 2018.
One of SIAS’s key activities during a five-year period in the 1990s concerned the so-called New Europe Prize,
which the directors of the SIAS institutes awarded to scholars from Eastern Europe who had been fellows of
one of the group’s institutes. The idea was to provide institutional and symbolic support for scholars from, and
working in, Eastern Europe to help preserve and strengthen scholarly environments devoted to foundational
research in the social and human sciences. Some of these environments, such as the New Europe College in
Bucharest and the Bibliotecha Classica Petropolitana in St Petersburg, have exerted a lasting influence.
In recent years, the members of the group have been responsible for selecting themes and conveners of the ‘SIAS
Summer Institutes’, which are a continuation of the ‘European and American Young Scholars’ Summer Institutes’.
The SIAS Summer Institutes are a two-year research programme promoting joint interdisciplinary work conducted
by young European and American researchers, thus fostering research networks and joint activities.
In the academic year 2012–13, agreements were concluded on the reception of SCAS Pro Futura Scientia Fellows
between the Collegium, Riksbankens Jubileumsfond (the Swedish Foundation for Humanities and Social Sciences;
RJ) and three of the other SIAS institutes, namely the National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, North
Carolina; the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University; and the Radcliffe
Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University.
The following institutes are members of the SIAS group:
- Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, CA
- Institut d’études avancées de Nantes
- Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ
- Israel Institute for Advanced Studies, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- National Humanities Center, Research Triangle Park, NC
- Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences, Amsterdam
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University, MA
- Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study
- Swedish Collegium for Advanced Study, Uppsala
- Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin
© Swedish Collegium for Advanced Study. Thunbergsvägen 2, SE-752 38 Uppsala, Sweden