Mexican "Día de Los Muertos"/The Day of the DeadSaturday, 27 October 2007, 12:03 am
Press Release: Wellington Zapatista Support Group
PRESS RELEASE Wellington Zapatista Support Group PRESS RELEASE
Mexican "Día de Los Muertos"/The Day of the Dead–
& Three Cries for HELP
HAPPY is happy to host Wellington's first truly international Day of the Dead festival, to be held on Sunday 4th November, 7pm – late, cnr Vivian and Tory St.
Originally celebrated at the gravesites of loved ones, The Day of the Dead is now celebrated in the home, the squares, the streets, the cemeteries – and this year, even in Wellington! While Mexico celebrates Día de Los Muertos every 2nd November, availability dictated that we celebrate the 'after-death'...
The spirit of Janis Joplin will not only HAPPY-ly walk the earth on November 4th but also belt out her best between 8 and 9, through the medium of Wellington band Channelling Janis.
International acts include Mexican, flamenco and Belly dancers, African drums, German and Mexican performance art and poetry, an assortment of kiwi, Mexican and Cuban musicians, and even a demonic puppet show. Face painting will be available for a small fee, and Fancy Dead is encouraged.
In keeping with tradition, altars commemorating the departed will be on display, decorated with flowers and objects reminding the living of the dead, such as photos and items they prized or enjoyed while they lived, like favorite foods or drinks The public is invited to bring along flowers, photos or other objects to place on the altars, to entice their loved ones' souls to return and party it up.
The proceeds from this fundraising event will go to providing capacity-building workshops for health promoters in autonomous Zapatista communities the southern Mexican state of Chiapas, one of the poorest in the country.
Unlike many indigenous communities reduced to accepting government hand-outs, the Zapatistas are committed to the peaceful development and provision of their own health, education and justice services, using members of their own communities speaking their own indigenous languages. This requires training in several technical areas.
We are doing our best to assist the Caracol of La Garrucha in the health sector with this important and essential work, by raising funds to enable capacity-building workshops in 2008 for the 50 health promoters of this zone.
Coming to HAPPY to celebrate the Day of the Dead will HELP us HELP the Zapatistas HELP themselves!!
Life is like a flower that
in the face of death that is eternal.
4 info, pics, interviews contact Julie Webb-Pullman 021 026 25456 Email [email protected]
Become a Supporter
Professionals - 'At work' users of Scoop need a ScoopPro licence. This keeps Scoop open, plus licensed users enjoy exclusive new tools.
More about ScoopPro Find more from Wellington Zapatista Support Group on InfoPages. Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines
Having satirised British democracy with such devastating effect, Armando Iannucci has now turned his lens on the dangers inherent in Soviet authoritarianism. Every gag is girdled with fear and the bleak humour is so pitch black it could only have been pumped from deep underground. More>>
"You only get a singer like this once in a generation or two," commented Wynton Marsalis, who has repeatedly hired her to front his jazz orchestra and mounted a 25 foot high portrait of her on the exterior of Lincoln Center. “She radiates authority. She has poise, elegance, soul, humour, sensuality, power, virtuosity, range, insight, intelligence, depth, and grace.” More>>
To be good at one thing is impressive; to be so versatile across a range of genres is truly exceptional. The latest incarnation of this six-strong male singing group includes Kiwi Christopher Bruerton, and it was a delight to hear him sing the solo on the achingly beautiful My Love Is like a Red, Red Rose. More>>
New Zealand Rugby’s agreement to offer 30 Black Ferns players contracts through a professional performance programme is a welcome step forward in boosting pay in women’s sport, Minister for Sport and Recreation Grant Robertson says. More>>
- NZ Rugby Union - Historic Black Ferns Professional Performance Programme
- Image Out-Link - Black Ferns on Twitter
Corey Peters delivered a bronze medal for New Zealand on the first day of competition at the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Winter Games. More>>
- NZ Govt - Minister congratulates bronze winning Para athlete Adam Hall - Minister congratulates NZ's medal winning Paralympian - Minister wishes Kiwi Para athletes success for PyeongChang
- National - Wagner to Korea in support of NZ Paralympians
- Paralympics NZ - Corey Peters gives it his all in the Men’s Giant Slalom - BRONZE Medal Alert - ADAM HALL at PyeongChang 2018 - 10/3 Corey Peters wins bronze of first day of competition - 11/3: Strong competition sees Kiwis finish outside the medals - Corey Peters announced as flagbearer for PyeongChang 2018
- Image Out-Link - Paralympic Alpine Ski Racer - Corey Peters
- Kersten ready to give Silver Ferns her best shot 5:06 PM | Netball NZ
- Junior chasing bronze at Finn Europeans 1:20 PM | Yachting New Zealand
- From The Ellen Show to the ASB Polyfest 1:16 PM | ASB Polyfest
- Dramatic Performance as PM Opens Te Papa’s New Art Gallery 12:24 PM | Te Papa
- Murphy established as one of world’s best Para snowboarders 12:19 PM | Paralympics NZ
- Josh Thomson Stepping Away From the Project 16/03/18 | Mediaworks
- NZRL releases findings of Independent Panel Review 16/03/18 | New Zealand Rugby League
- Babies and Parkinson’s sufferers benefit from $2m gift 12:10 PM | University of Auckland
- Fight the Bite 16/03/18 | Ministry of Health
- Consumers reminded to take care when drinking raw milk 16/03/18 | Ministry For Primary Indus...
- Money Well Spent on Women’s Health in the Sex Trade, or Not? 16/03/18 | New Zealand Prostitu...
- NZDF Dental Outreach Revives Tuhoe Smiles 15/03/18 | New Zealand Defence Force
- Deaf people with disabilities navigate three worlds 15/03/18 | Deaf Action NZ
- Bridgestone donates $50,000 to Leukaemia & Blood Cancer NZ 14/03/18 | Bridgestone
- The Treasury Schools Challenge returns for 2018 16/03/18 | New Zealand Treasury
- UC Eco-Marathon Team Wins the Innovation Award at Singapore 16/03/18 | University of Canter...
- 500 tutors for MyTuition 16/03/18 | MyTuition
- Plateau School crowned Top School in Upper Hutt 15/03/18 | Upper Hutt City Council
- Second chance just what the doctor ordered 15/03/18 | University of Auckland
- Full steam ahead for the Super STEM Fair 15/03/18 | STEM
- Come behind the scenes at the Auckland Medical School 15/03/18 | University of Auckland
- ORPHEUS A DANCE OPERA at Opera House - Problematic dramaturgy
- US/THEM at Circa Theatre, 1 Taranaki St, Waterfront - A unique perspective
- PETER AND THE WOLF at Soundings - Te Papa - Mystery and magical adventure in ful...
- KNEE DEEP at NEW ZEALAND FESTIVAL CLUB, Odlins Plaza, 17 Cable St - Spectacle an...
- DISCHARGE IS ROTTEN TO THE CORE at FLUX at Wellington Museum, Queens Wharf - Fro...
- WELLINGTONIANS at BATS Theatre, The Heyday Dome, 1 Kent Tce - Crafty plotting an...
- AMBER TOPAZ THE RUDE AWAKENING at The Scruffy Bunny Improv Theatre, 100 Courtena...
- MEDEA THE MOTHER at Orange Studio, 1063c Ferry Road - Generous and rewarding
- TOSCA at Isaac Theatre Royal - A deeply engaging, no holds barred, utterly irres...
- TITUS ANDRONICUS at The Court Theatre, Bernard Street, Addington - Richly barbar...
- LARRY DEAN FANDAN at Philip Carter Family Auditorium, Christchurch Art Gallery T...
- NOTHING BUT STAND UP DIVAS at Laugh Lounge at Sixty6 on Peterborough - Thoroughl...
- STUART GOLDSMITH LIKE I MEAN IT at Philip Carter Family Auditorium, Christchurch...
- A YEAR OF MAGICAL F*CKING at Philip Carter Family Auditorium, Christchurch Art G...
- ORPHEUS A DANCE OPERA at Civic Theatre - Multil-layered masterpiece
- ORPHEUS A DANCE OPERA at Civic Theatre - Look back in splendour
- THE PIANO THE BALLET at ASB Theatre, Aotea Centre - Adaptation to stage extends ...
- AKRAM KHAN'S GISELLE at ASB Theatre, Aotea Centre - Ferocious and Thrilling Re-i...
- AKRAM KHAN'S GISELLE at ASB Theatre, Aotea Centre - A Masterpiece
- AKRAM KHAN'S GISELLE at ASB Theatre, Aotea Centre - Superb dancing
- BLACKOUT: PART 2 OF A CHOREOGRAPHIC TRILOGY ON DARKNESS at Kenneth Myers Centre,...