Mexican "Día de Los Muertos"/The Day of the DeadSaturday, 27 October 2007, 12:03 am
Press Release: Wellington Zapatista Support Group
PRESS RELEASE Wellington Zapatista Support Group PRESS RELEASE
Mexican "Día de Los Muertos"/The Day of the Dead–
& Three Cries for HELP
HAPPY is happy to host Wellington's first truly international Day of the Dead festival, to be held on Sunday 4th November, 7pm – late, cnr Vivian and Tory St.
Originally celebrated at the gravesites of loved ones, The Day of the Dead is now celebrated in the home, the squares, the streets, the cemeteries – and this year, even in Wellington! While Mexico celebrates Día de Los Muertos every 2nd November, availability dictated that we celebrate the 'after-death'...
The spirit of Janis Joplin will not only HAPPY-ly walk the earth on November 4th but also belt out her best between 8 and 9, through the medium of Wellington band Channelling Janis.
International acts include Mexican, flamenco and Belly dancers, African drums, German and Mexican performance art and poetry, an assortment of kiwi, Mexican and Cuban musicians, and even a demonic puppet show. Face painting will be available for a small fee, and Fancy Dead is encouraged.
In keeping with tradition, altars commemorating the departed will be on display, decorated with flowers and objects reminding the living of the dead, such as photos and items they prized or enjoyed while they lived, like favorite foods or drinks The public is invited to bring along flowers, photos or other objects to place on the altars, to entice their loved ones' souls to return and party it up.
The proceeds from this fundraising event will go to providing capacity-building workshops for health promoters in autonomous Zapatista communities the southern Mexican state of Chiapas, one of the poorest in the country.
Unlike many indigenous communities reduced to accepting government hand-outs, the Zapatistas are committed to the peaceful development and provision of their own health, education and justice services, using members of their own communities speaking their own indigenous languages. This requires training in several technical areas.
We are doing our best to assist the Caracol of La Garrucha in the health sector with this important and essential work, by raising funds to enable capacity-building workshops in 2008 for the 50 health promoters of this zone.
Coming to HAPPY to celebrate the Day of the Dead will HELP us HELP the Zapatistas HELP themselves!!
Life is like a flower that
in the face of death that is eternal.
4 info, pics, interviews contact Julie Webb-Pullman 021 026 25456 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Wellington Zapatista Support Group on InfoPages.
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines
IHC Tribute: Colin Meads
"While Colin is best known for rugby, to us he is one of a small number of distinguished IHC New Zealand Life Members recognised for their significant support for people with intellectual disabilities," says IHC Chief Executive Ralph Jones. More>>
Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have now both broken the Big Fifty barrier, which seems to have brought a whole new level of angst to their midlife adventures ... More>> The Royal New Zealand Ballet has accepted the challenge of this heart-touching tragedy and largely succeeded. More>>
The Royal New Zealand Ballet has accepted the challenge of this heart-touching tragedy and largely succeeded. More>>
Although feeling very sore but with a great feeling Tom Walsh took his place as number one on the victory dais to receive his much deserved gold medal. More>>
- International Association of Athletics Federations - IAAF World Champs Day 3 - NZ's Walsh wins shot put gold
"Unfortunately we are in crisis and this friendly dinosaur faces extinction… Our only hope is to try and raise funds to buy the building and restore it to its glory, either fully funded or with a viable deposit." More>>
Previously undiscovered letters and a story written by a young Katherine Mansfield were recently unearthed in Wellington City Library’s archives by a local author researching a book about the famous writer. More>>
- NZ Fashion Weekend Shows Are Selling Fast! 2:27 PM | NZ Fashion Week
- Kidwell's Assistants Named 2:22 PM | New Zealand Rugby League
- Taranaki home to the new goddess of gin 2:04 PM | Juno Gin
- Name UL August Update 1:53 PM | Name UL
- A sunny week in a wet winter 1:32 PM | MetService
- Heineken Urban Polo is Back! 12:37 PM | Heineken Urban Polo
- Paterson Strengthens Grip on Junior Crown 12:32 PM | Bikesport NZ
- Cool Heads Needed To Resolve Vexed Questions Around Water 11:50 AM | Transtasman
- Breathe Better September is Back with a Challenge 10:20 AM | Asthma and Respiratory Foundati...
- Community Pharmacy Leaders Forum meeting update 18/08/17 | Joint Press Release
- Jupl Primed to Go Global 18/08/17 | Jupl
- Notifying DHB Chairs of Media Interest 18/08/17 | Association of Salaried Medical Specialist...
- Kiwis Amongst the Highest Consumers of Fruit and Vegetables 17/08/17 | Five plus a day
- Kiwi pioneering spirit running high at Taupo Medical Centre 17/08/17 | Taupo Medical Centre
- KiwiSaver product disclosure statements 1:38 PM | Auckland University of Technology
- Government not using major tool to attract teachers 9:12 AM | NZEI
- Time's Up On National Standards, Say Principals 9:03 AM | New Zealand Principals Federation
- Dev Academy announces 42 new Māori scholarships 8:55 AM | Enspiral Dev Academy
- A national languages policy for New Zealand 18/08/17 | AUT University
- Te Kura teacher wins Australasian Teaching Award 18/08/17 | Te Kura
- ‘Sapai and Yam Snatchers’ by M. Forster and L. Unasa 18/08/17 | Whitireia NZ
- IN THE WARS at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1 Kent Tce - Innovative In The...
- IN THE WARS at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1 Kent Tce - Deeply insightful...
- ROMEO & JULIET - THE ROYAL NZ BALLET 2017 at St James Theatre - Sumptuous, extra...
- MLADY at BATS Theatre, The Heyday Dome, 1 Kent Tce - Offbeat approach highly en...
- CAGING SKIES at Circa Two - A commendably ambitious enterprise
- (A SMIDGE OF) PIDGE at Newtown Community & Cultural Centre - Taking a peck at co...
- MLADY at BATS Theatre, The Heyday Dome, 1 Kent Tce - A poignant, even affection...
- STEEL MAGNOLIAS at The Court Theatre, Bernard Street, Addington - Distinctive an...
- THE EARLY EARLY LATE SHOW 2017 at Philip Carter Family Auditorium, Christchurch ...
- SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD at The Great Hall, The Arts Centre - Different, well-perfo...
- SNOW WHITE at The Court Theatre, Bernard Street, Addington - The joyful magic of...
- AS NIGHT FALLS at Isaac Theatre Royal - Exhilarating and life-affirming
- SONGS FOR NOBODIES at The Court Theatre, Bernard Street, Addington - You would b...
- THE PICKLE KING at Isaac Theatre Royal - Achieves a delicate and satisfying bala...
- TE WAKA HUIA at Te Pou Theatre, 44a Portage Road, New Lynn - Grief and Belonging
- NELL GWYNN at ASB Waterfront Theatre, 138 Halsey St, Wynyard Quarter - Restorati...
- NELL GWYNN at ASB Waterfront Theatre, 138 Halsey St, Wynyard Quarter - The Rebir...
- NELL GWYNN at ASB Waterfront Theatre, 138 Halsey St, Wynyard Quarter - Boisterou...
- TE WAKA HUIA at Te Pou Theatre, 44a Portage Road, New Lynn - Told with aroha and...
- DOMINION RD THE MUSICAL at The Playhouse, Glen Eden - A show for all Kiwis nee...
- HOW I MET MY FATHER at Garnet Station Caf, 85 Garnet Rd, Westmere - Unvarnished,...