Mexican "Día de Los Muertos"/The Day of the DeadSaturday, 27 October 2007, 12:03 am
Press Release: Wellington Zapatista Support Group
PRESS RELEASE Wellington Zapatista Support Group PRESS RELEASE
Mexican "Día de Los Muertos"/The Day of the Dead–
& Three Cries for HELP
HAPPY is happy to host Wellington's first truly international Day of the Dead festival, to be held on Sunday 4th November, 7pm – late, cnr Vivian and Tory St.
Originally celebrated at the gravesites of loved ones, The Day of the Dead is now celebrated in the home, the squares, the streets, the cemeteries – and this year, even in Wellington! While Mexico celebrates Día de Los Muertos every 2nd November, availability dictated that we celebrate the 'after-death'...
The spirit of Janis Joplin will not only HAPPY-ly walk the earth on November 4th but also belt out her best between 8 and 9, through the medium of Wellington band Channelling Janis.
International acts include Mexican, flamenco and Belly dancers, African drums, German and Mexican performance art and poetry, an assortment of kiwi, Mexican and Cuban musicians, and even a demonic puppet show. Face painting will be available for a small fee, and Fancy Dead is encouraged.
In keeping with tradition, altars commemorating the departed will be on display, decorated with flowers and objects reminding the living of the dead, such as photos and items they prized or enjoyed while they lived, like favorite foods or drinks The public is invited to bring along flowers, photos or other objects to place on the altars, to entice their loved ones' souls to return and party it up.
The proceeds from this fundraising event will go to providing capacity-building workshops for health promoters in autonomous Zapatista communities the southern Mexican state of Chiapas, one of the poorest in the country.
Unlike many indigenous communities reduced to accepting government hand-outs, the Zapatistas are committed to the peaceful development and provision of their own health, education and justice services, using members of their own communities speaking their own indigenous languages. This requires training in several technical areas.
We are doing our best to assist the Caracol of La Garrucha in the health sector with this important and essential work, by raising funds to enable capacity-building workshops in 2008 for the 50 health promoters of this zone.
Coming to HAPPY to celebrate the Day of the Dead will HELP us HELP the Zapatistas HELP themselves!!
Life is like a flower that
in the face of death that is eternal.
4 info, pics, interviews contact Julie Webb-Pullman 021 026 25456 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Wellington Zapatista Support Group on InfoPages.
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines
Gold For RNZ: Muslim Post-9/11 Series, Kim Hill Win In New York
The Radio New Zealand podcast series Public Enemy has won a gold award for excellence for its presenter, Mohamed Hassan, at the prestigious New York Festival Radio Awards announced in Manhattan today. RNZ National’s Saturday Morning host, Kim Hill, also received a gold award for Best Radio Personality. More>>
A campaign urging New Zealanders to give nothing to racism and refuse to spread intolerance has been launched by some of the country’s most well-known people. More>>
By beating Artemis 5-2 they now take on Oracle Team USA in the America’s Cup match starting next weekend. More>>
- Yachting NZ - NZL Sailing Team top qualifying at Youth America's Cup
The Rodger Fox Big Band has received an invitation to perform at the 2017 Monterey 60th Anniversary Jazz Festival in the USA in September of this year. More>>
The New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust has discovered an almost perfectly preserved 118 year old watercolour painting among penguin-excrement, dust and mould covered papers found in an historic hut at Cape Adare, Antarctica. More>>
Tthere are over a thousand public war memorials scattered around the country, commemorating over 30,000 New Zealanders who have died in wartime, and most of whom are buried overseas. More>>>More>>
- Scoop Review of Books - Boys at War
- Maloney and Meech chase gold at Kiel Week 7:50 PM | Yachting New Nealand
- ANZ Premiership Finals Series - Grand Finalists confirmed 7:39 PM | ANZ Championship Netbal...
- Te Wananga o Raukawa Pulse 59 def SKYCITY Mystics 52 7:38 PM | ANZ Championship Netball
- Even Day for Emirates Team New Zealand 12:54 PM | Team New Zealand
- Grayson and Lobban To Do Battle In Final of Squash XL PSA 24/06/17 | Squash New Zealand
- Film-Making Workshops for Young People 24/06/17 | Silent Film Festival
- NZ Poet receives XIII distinction 24/06/17 | Charles Olsen
- Support for Mental Health and Addictions Issues Matters 24/06/17 | Platform Trust
- Spirits NZ Welcomes Release of Health Research Strategy 24/06/17 | Spirits New Zealand
- Young lads support people with dementia 23/06/17 | Dementia Auckland
- Drowning terminology hung out to dry 23/06/17 | NZ Resucitation Council
- Supporting delivery of the 2016 New Zealand health strategy 23/06/17 | Primary Health Allian...
- Simple act to protect against Legionnaire’s disease 23/06/17 | University of Otago
- Claire Austin appointed to Health Workforce NZ 22/06/17 | Ministry of Health
- Manawatu student’s passion for agriculture rewarded 23/06/17 | Agcarm
- Wintec celebrates learning with a stellar programme 23/06/17 | Wintech
- Case for quality in ECE strengthened by OECD report 23/06/17 | Early Childhood New Zealand
- OECD backs-up investing in quality ECE 23/06/17 | New Zealand Kindergartens
- Video Link to Otago Polytechnic ShadowTech Day Run by NZ Tec 23/06/17 | Otago Polytech
- Future ICT Careers Explored in The Capital 23/06/17 | NZTech
- Meaningful careers in healthcare focus of Big Day Out 23/06/17 | Careers New Zealand
- AS NIGHT FALLS at Opera House - Stunning five star dancing and choreography, yet...
- THE TRAGEDY OF DOCTOR FAUSTUS at BATS Theatre, The Heyday Dome, 1 Kent Tce - Con...
- THE MOONCAKE AND THE KŪMARA at Hannah Playhouse - An exceptional production...
- FIRE IN THE WATER, FIRE IN THE SKY at Te Papa Tongarewa, 55 Cable Street - A Sta...
- CARRIE THE MUSICAL at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1 Kent Tce - High-octan...
- CARRIE THE MUSICAL at BATS Theatre, The Propeller Stage, 1 Kent Tce - Impressive...
- THE MAIDS at FLUX at Wellington Museum, Queens Wharf - Astutely rendered
- SONGS FOR NOBODIES at The Court Theatre, Bernard Street, Addington - You would b...
- THE PICKLE KING at Isaac Theatre Royal - Achieves a delicate and satisfying bala...
- THREE BY EKMAN at Isaac Theatre Royal - Voiceovers, incongruity and the unexpect...
- HAMLET: THE VIDEO GAME (THE STAGE SHOW) at Court Theatre Pub Charity Studio - A ...
- GARY STARLIGHT SINGS THE BLUES at Orange Studio, 1063c Ferry Road - Impressive a...
- UNCLE VANYA at The Court Theatre, Bernard Street, Addington - Delicate and taste...
- UNCLE VANYA at The Court Theatre, Bernard Street, Addington - Moments of farce o...
- WHEN SUN AND MOON COLLIDE at ASB Waterfront Theatre, 138 Halsey St, Wynyard Quar...
- WEST SIDE STORY at The Civic - Auckland Live - The search for a new way of livin...
- WEST SIDE STORY at The Civic - Auckland Live - West Side Story a timeless hit
- I AIN'T MAD AT CHA at Basement Theatre Studio, Lower Greys Ave - A fresh and pow...
- WEST SIDE STORY at The Civic - Auckland Live - A Broadway dance fanatic's must-s...
- TAMA TOA (2017) at Mangere Arts Centre - Something to delight and entertain ever...
- DJ TRUMP at Garnet Station Caf, 85 Garnet Rd, Westmere - Orange bag of wind chan...