Sydney Symphony Conductor Gianluigi Gelmetti to Step Down in 2008
- Classic Arts
- Film and TV
- Seth Rudetsky
- Cast Recordings
- Opening Night Livestreams
- Playbill Playlist
- Weekly Schedule
- Upcoming Broadway
- Broadway Theatres
- Hard to Find Tickets
- Broadway Discounts
- Off-Broadway Discounts
- Broadway Rush
- Off-Broadway Rush
- Ticket Giveaway
- Subscribe to Save
- Hard to Find Tickets
Gelmetti, a former chief conductor of the Rome Opera, first led the orchestra in 1994. After ten years as guest conductor he was appointed chief conductor in 2004. During his tenure thus far he has overseen acoustical improvements to the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall and used the Internet to expand the orchestra's audience.
Announcing his decision not to renew the contract, Gelmetti said, "The Sydney Symphony, among all the most important orchestras I have had the honor of directing, occupies a very special place in my heart. I will be leaving with regret but confident the orchestra has a fine future ahead."
Reasons for his departure were not elaborated in the statement, but Sydney Symphony chairman David Maloney said, "While the news of Maestro Gelmetti's decision to complete his term as chief conductor and artistic director of the Sydney Symphony in 2008 will be received by his many friends and supporters with much sadness, the board understands his reasons, and is grateful for the fact that this early notification will enable planning for an orderly transition to commence."
Gelmetti is expected to return regularly as a guest conductor after 2008.
Explore Classic Arts:
- Video Behind the Making of the New Dance Movie Highstrung Free Dance By Ruthie Fierberg | 10/18/2019 Get a backstage pass to the new movie.
- Classic Arts News On Site Opera to Bring Amahl and the Night Visitors to an NYC Soup Kitchen By Ryan McPhee | 10/17/2019 The reimagining of Gian Carlo Menotti’s one-act opera will play at Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen December 4-8.
- The Verdict Read Reviews for Los Angeles Opera’s The Light in the Piazza By Dan Meyer | 10/14/2019 Plus, watch highlights from the musical, starring Renée Fleming, Dove Cameron, and Brian Stokes Mitchell, at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
- Classic Arts News Annilese Miskimmon Named English National Opera’s New Artistic Director By Ryan McPhee | 10/08/2019 The director comes to the London company after serving as director of opera at Norwegian National Opera & Ballet.
- Los Angeles News Debbie Allen to Present 10th Annual Hot Chocolate Nutcracker Starring Raven-Symoné and More By Emily Selleck | 10/03/2019 The Emmy Award-winning choreographer will stage the Los Angeles-area holiday spectacular.
Follow Playbill Now
Sign up for exclusive discounts and save up to 50% on tickets!Copyright 2019 © Playbill Inc. All Rights Reserved. Powered by X
on the stage,
not on websites.
Our website is made possible by
displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by
whitelisting playbill.com with your ad blocker.