Discover the story of English
More than 600,000 words, over a thousand years
Welcome to OED Online. If you or your library subscribes, dive straight in to the riches of the English language. If not, click on the images below to learn more about the OED, see What's new, or take a look at Aspects of English, our language feature section.
Celebrate the OED's 90th birthday with us!
This year sees the 90th anniversary of the publication of the completed First Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary. Find out more about our birthday celebrations >
Join us for this live event, where we will be exploring how to make the most of the Oxford English Dictionary in the classroom. We'll be discussing how to make full use of OED resources for research and teaching.
- What's new: More than 600 new words, senses, and subentries have been added to the Oxford English Dictionary in our latest update, including TGIF, burkini, and Dylanesque. Find out more >
- New article: This update sees several words of South African origin being added to the OED. Read more >
- Videos: Oxford Dictionaries
- Learn about the OED
- Help with using OED Online
- For librarians
- For students and teachers
- Abbreviations used in the OED
- Key to the pronunciation
- Key to symbols and other conventions
More from Oxford
Already a subscriber?
Subscribe to the OED
Online access to the full OED, and now incorporating the Historical Thesaurus of the OED.
Word of the day
A leisurely walk, a promenade, esp. one taken at a regular time. Al...Sign up for word of the day »
Follow the OED Online on
Oxford University Press
Copyright © 2019Oxford University Press. All rights reserved. |