Living in the world's 4th most diverse city
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences has a strong research tradition and profile, representing a diverse range of themes, research methods and groups, from individual researchers to major research teams and centres.
The college is active in securing research income. Our teams have attracted significant external research funding. This has supported research centres focussed on ecological economics and disaster research, as well as teams studying ageing, immigration and population change.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences has a strong outreach focus. We are well connected to Government departments including the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Social Development and Treasury. We are also connected to national and international research and policy communities, including the Health Research Council, the Asia New Zealand Foundation and the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity.
We do research in a range of areas across our academic units.
- Centre for Defence and Security Studies
- Institute of Education
- School of English and Media Studies
- School of Humanities
- School of Māori Knowledge
- School of People, Environment and Planning
- School of Psychology
Research teams and centres
The college hosts a number of research teams and centres.
- Capturing the Diversity Dividend of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Centre for Research in Mathematics Education
- engaged Social Science | Hui Rangahau Tahi (eSocSci)
- Ending Poverty and Inequality
- Equity Through Education
- Health and Ageing Research Team
- Joint Centre for Disaster Research
- Joint Research Centre in Applied Linguistics
- Pacific Research and Policy Centre
- W.H. Oliver Humanities Research Academy
Student research, supervised by staff, is a major part of the college’s research activity.
- Find out more about postgraduate study in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Contact the college Research Director Professor Cynthia White
- Contact the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Meet our staff for detailed information on individual research outputs
Page authorised by Pro Vice-Chancellor, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Last updated on Monday 12 February 2018