Peter Shaffer Biography (1926-)
Full name, Peter Levin Shaffer; born May 15, 1926, in Liverpool, England; sonof Jack (a realtor) and Reka (Fredman) Shaffer. Addresses: Agent--c/oMcNaughton-Lowry Representation, 200 Fulham Rd., London SW10, England.
- Birth Details
- May 15, 1926
- Liverpool, England
- Writings;STAGE PLAYS
- Five Finger Exercise, produced at Comedy Theatre, London, England, 1958-60, then Music Box Theatre, New York City, 1959-61, published by Hamish Hamilton (England), 1958, Harcourt (New York), 1959, published in Three Plays, Penguin (New York), 1968.
- The Private Ear [and] The Public Eye (also see below), produced togetheron a double bill (sometimes entitled Light Comedies), Globe Theatre, London,1962, then Morosco Theatre, New York City, 1963, published by Hamish Hamilton, 1962, Stein & Day (Briarcliff Manor, NY), 1964.
- (With Joan Littlewood and the Theatre Workshop) The Merry Roosters Panto,Wyndham's Theatre, London, 1963.
- The Royal Hunt of the Sun: A Play Concerning the Conquest of Peru, produced by the National Theatre Company at the Chichester Festival, England, 1964,then at the American National Theatre and Academy (ANTA) Theatre, New York City, 1965, published by Samuel French (London), 1964, Stein & Day, 1965.
- Black Comedy, produced at Chichester Festival, 1965, then Old Vic Theatre, London, 1966, then produced with White Lies, Ethel Barrymore Theatre, New York City, 1967; White Lies retitled The White Liars, and revived on a doublebill with Black Comedy, Lyric Theatre, London, 1967, produced at Roundabout Theatre, New York City, 1993, Black Comedy [and] White Lies published by Samuel French, 1967, published in Black Comedy (including) White Lies, Stein &Day, 1967, published in England as The White Liars [and] Black Comedy, Hamish Hamilton, 1968.
- The Battle of Shrivings, Lyric Theatre, 1970, published in Equus [and] Shrivings, Atheneum, 1974, published in Three Plays, Penguin, 1968.
- Equus (also see below), produced at Old Vic Theatre, 1973, then PlymouthTheatre, New York City, 1974, published by Deutsch, 1973, Bard (New York), 1977, published in Equus [and] Shrivings, Atheneum (New York), 1974, publishedin Three Plays, Penguin, 1968.
- Amadeus (also see below), produced at Olivier Theatre, London, England, 1979, then Broadhurst Theatre, New York City, 1980, published by Harper (New York), 1981.
- The Collected Plays of Peter Shaffer, Crown, 1982.
- Yonadab: The Watcher, produced at Olivier Theatre, London, England, 1985,published as Yondab: A Play, Harper, 1988.
- Lettice and Lovage: A Comedy, produced at Globe Theatre, London, 1987, then Barrymore Theatre, New York City, 1990, published by HarperCollins, 1990.
- The Gift of the Gorgon, produced by the Royal Shakespeare Company, Pit Theatre, London, 1993, then Wyndham's Theatre, 1993, published by Pantheon Books, 1994.
- Also author of A Warning Game, produced in New York City, 1967; and It'sabout Cinderella, produced in London, 1969.
- The Lord of the Flies, Walter Reade, 1963.
- The Pad (and How to Use It) (based on the play, The Private Ear), Universal, 1966.
- The Public Eye (based on the play), Universal, 1972.
- Follow Me!, Universal, 1972.
- Equus (based on the play), Warner Bros., 1977.
- Amadeus (based on the play), Orion, 1984.
- The Salt Land, ITN, 1955.
- Balance of Terror, BBC, 1957.
- The Prodigal Father, BBC, 1955.
- Whom Do I Have the Honour of Addressing?, Deutsch, 1989.
- FICTION WITH ANTHONY SHAFFER,PUBLISHED UNDER JOINT PSEUDONYM PETERANTONYWoman in the Wardrobe, Evans Brothers, 1951.
- How Doth the Little Crocodile?, Evans Brothers, 1952, published under their own names by Macmillan (New York), 1957.
- Withered Murder, Gollancz, 1955, Macmillan, 1956.
- (Editor) Elisabeth Frink Sculpture: Catalogue Raisonne, Trafalgar Square,1988.
Other articles you might like:Tweets by LechMazur
Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic: