This website does readability filtering of other pages. All styles, scripts, forms and ads are stripped. If you want your website excluded or have other feedback, use this form.

EC to return unspent R1bn: challenge is 'incapacity to utilise funds'

CLOSE

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

EC to return unspent R1bn: challenge is ‘incapacity to utilise funds’

By Daily Dispatch - March 24, 2016
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Eastern Cape state departments cannot spend about R1-billion of their budgets and conditional grants before the current financial year ends next week.

IN CHARGE: MEC for Finance Sakhumzi Somyo, left, welcomes the new head of department for provincial treasury, Daluhlanga Majeke, at a function for treasury staff yesterday in Bhisho Picture: SUPPLIED

Of the R1-billion in anticipated under-expenditure, R473.5-million was allocated as conditional grants meant for special projects. The province is now at risk of forfeiting the money to National Treasury.

This is according to a Treasury report, signed by head of department Daluhlanga Majeke, which was tabled before the legislature’s portfolio committee on finance (Scopa).

In the third quarter of the 2015-16 financial year, which ended in December, the province had spent R48.2-billion or 72.6% of its adjusted budget of R66.4-billion.

Of the conditional grants totalling R10.2-billion, only R7-billion or 69.2% had been spent by December.

Ironically it was the provincial treasury and the office of the premier (OTP) – the two departments meant to police the financial and general performance of the provincial departments – who were the main culprits of under-spending.

“Slow spending at 41.8% by the provincial treasury, 46.8% by OTP and 64.2% by department of economic development, environmental affairs and tourism (Dedeat), which mainly oversee the social infrastructure projects, is a concern” Majeke states in the report.

He adds that the departments “contributing mainly” to the under-spending were education at R431.7-million, provincial treasury at R136.7-million, health at R98-million, Dedeat at R37.8-million, social development at R15.3-million and rural development at R11.4-million.

The bulk of under-expenditure was on infrastructure projects within the education department – which partly explains the unpopular decision to return an unspent R530-million meant for building schools.

Majeke, however, said his department was not folding its arms.

“Sessions with the underspending departments continue in order to understand the root cause of such under-performance. It became clear that one of the fundamental challenges was poor planning on the part of departments,” wrote Majeke.

He has request each department to submit a “turnaround plan”, both to improve on spending and to inform revised cash-flow projections. Departments were also encouraged to “start now” in planning for 2016-17.

Scopa chair and UDM MPL Max Mhlathi yesterday said the province’s main challenge was not shortage of funds, but incapacity to utilise them. “This underspending is like a cancer that cannot go away. Every year money is returned due to our failure to spend. This results in them not being keen to give us more when they make future allocations.

“[What] … is killing this province is capacity constraints … as a result of the provincial government’s failure to fill critical vacant posts.”

Treasury spokeswoman Nosisa Sogayise and provincial government spokesman Sizwe Kupelo yesterday both refused to comment.

Kupelo said: “The report in your possession is an outdated projection.

“There are commitments that have been made in the budget, and true reflection of the actual expenditure will be reflected after April 15 because in government, we don’t deal with speculations but facts.”

Majeke’s report also reveals that conditional grants amounted to R7.9-billion, with R572.4-million of that withheld by the National Treasury due to poor spending.

Funds withheld include the education infrastructure grant, an HIV and Aids grant, a maths, science and technology grant, provincial roads maintenance grant, mass sport and recreation participation programme grant, substance abuse treatment grant and life skills grant.

Majeke said at 72.6% the province was the second lowest spender behind Free State at 75%. — [email protected]

Share this story:

RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR

Zuma appoints new National Police Commissioner

Mugabe will continue to receive a handsome monthly income

Search continues for Berea Pharmacy armed robbers

4 COMMENTS

  1. I wish these guys could hire me, I would show them how to spend money through service delivery. We cant continue hearing these nonsensical comments about E.C. Incompetent people should be removed and let compintent ones do the job.

    Reply
  2. I think there is a lot that needs to be done, specifically Mnquma Municipality, where I come from Centane, “Nxaxho A” there is no electricity the roads are terrible. I find it strange that the province is willing to return such money. You need to get out of those offices visit the people who put you there. Education, water, roads and electricity are the basic needs of our people. The schools in Centane are a disgrace come to think that we are on 20 years of democracy but there’s no chance at all. All you do you go and promise them heaven on earth after elections you are no where to be found.

    Reply
  3. It is sad to hear that these government departments are unable to spend money that they suppose to spend to create jobs instead they return money to treasure.we have unemployed graduates in this province, dilapidated schools, bad gravel roads and tarred roads, people who suppose to get grants but they can’t,clinic’s that need to be built.sport facilities that needs to avail to the youth.whooooow kukude engqinibeni

    Reply
  4. As long there are spokespersons who are in denial who believe the situation can change in a month or two the cancer will still continue !

    Reply

Have your say Cancel reply

Opinion

OPINION: Mbalula and Malema hastened ANC slide

Staff Reporter - November 22, 2017

OPINION: Mugabe traits on display in SA

Bantu Mniki - November 22, 2017

Are Africa’s old men finally fading away?

CHRIS SAUNDERS - November 21, 2017

Time to deal with higher education’s dirtiest secret

Nomalanga Mkhize - November 21, 2017

Approach Black Friday frenzy with caution

Wendy Knowler - November 20, 2017

‘Old men’ of Zim won’t bring change

Justice Malala - November 20, 2017

OPINION: That thing with Thabo…and the one with Harry

Ray Hartley - November 18, 2017

OPINION: What lies ahead for Zim?

Staff Reporter - November 17, 2017

OPINION: Watching skies with bated breath

ROBIN ROSS-THOMPSON - November 17, 2017

Big policy stick not the answer to speed up transformation of schools

Jonathan Jansen - November 16, 2017

EDITOR PICKS

Search continues for Berea Pharmacy armed robbers

November 22, 2017

Zuma postpones trip to Zimbabwe

November 22, 2017

Taxi driver jailed for crash

November 22, 2017

POPULAR POSTS

Social exercise a hook-up blessing

April 14, 2016

Cheap flights from Mthatha to Johannesburg to take off

July 19, 2016

ANC faces behind toilet tender scandal

February 28, 2015

POPULAR CATEGORY


Graduate Programme – 2017/2018 © DispatchLIVE - A tiso blackstar group publication MORE STORIES

Zuma appoints new National Police Commissioner

November 22, 2017