- U.S. Showbiz
- World Cup
- Premier League
- Transfer News
- Messi's World Cup dream left in tatters: Argentina on the brink of shock elimination as Caballero's clanger helps Croatia to victory
- 'Leo is limited because the team doesn't gel with him': Sampaoli blames Messi's poor World Cup performances on rest of his squad
- MARTIN SAMUEL: Transformed midfield man Henderson is the heart of England at this World Cup
- Why has Messi failed to match Ronaldo? REDKNAPP, KEOWN AND SUTTON have their say on Argentina star's struggles
- Southgate orders England to stand up to the Panama bullies as he warns them over heavy-handed treatment
- REVEALED: McLaren staff revolt over 25p Freddo chocolate bars given to them as a reward for their hard work
- Messi was overworked against Iceland but isolated during defeat by Croatia... Modric bossed the battle of the No 10s
- THINGS YOU MISSED: Frustrated Otamendi kicks Rakitic, Schmeichel's mind games fail and Mendy's new shark boots on day eight
- 'Now I must keep my England place': Cipriani determined to oust Ford for good as he prepares to start for the first time in a decade
- 'Everyone is so angry in Argentina': Zabaleta admits Messi and Co's display was the worst he can remember
- Wembley or Hampden Park? Venue for England vs Scotland clash at Euro 2020 could be decided by a COIN TOSS
- CHRIS SUTTON: Neymar will be looking to silence his critics against Costa Rica while Iceland should see off Nigeria
- Maradona's rollercoaster night: Argentina legend goes through full range of emotions as he watches Messi and Co lose to Croatia
- ROYAL ASCOT TIPS: All the best bets for day four including Billesdon Brook to win the Coronation Stakes
- 'He's very fortunate not to get sent off': Shearer insists Croatia star Rebic should have seen red before opening scoring
- Panama don't play like a traditional Latin American side... and they have a long throw merchant like Iceland! Northern Ireland boss O'Neill on England's next opponents
- Alli ramps up his recovery from thigh injury... but Spurs star is still expected to miss World Cup clash with Panama
- JEFF POWELL: England have best chance of winning World Cup since Italia 90... frailties of the heavyweight nations means that opportunity knocks again
- Sterling out, Rashford in: Training notes reveal potential England line-up for Panama as Loftus-Cheek replaces Alli
- Alexander-Arnold urges England to be more clinical in front of goal following display against Tunisia
- Fred unveiled by Manchester United in £52m deal as boss Mourinho hails his 'creative brain and passing vision' (and Fred the mascot welcomes him by taking over piano from Sanchez!)
- England close in on whitewash against Australia as Roy scores 101 to help secure fourth ODI victory
- McIlroy makes strong start at Travelers Championship to finish one behind early clubhouse leaders Spieth and Johnson
- Evans' route to Wimbledon blocked by fans' favourite and fellow Brit Willis... who he plays on Friday
Fergie signs Tevez
EXCLUSIVE By LEE CLAYTON and ASHLEY GRAY in Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela
Last updated at 23:48 05 July 2007
Carlos Tevez last night agreed to join Manchester United in a permanent deal worth more than £20million.
The move will be completed next week, subject to any
challenge from West Ham, who still claim to own the registration of the player who saved them from relegation last season.
Scroll down to read more:
However, West Ham have
no contract with Tevez and
his owner, businessman Kia Joorabchian, which has left the player and his representative free to negotiate a transfer with other clubs.
The news, breaking in South America last night, means that United will take their summer buying past the £70m mark,
confirming them as the biggest spenders in world football.
Tevez was once fined when playing for Brazil's Corinthians for turning up to an official press conference wearing a Manchester United shirt.
He will fly from Argentina's Copa America base here to
join United's pre-season programme.
"He just cannot contain his excitement at the news," a source close to the Argentina camp confirmed. "Tevez has been concerned about his future,
worried about where he may play next season and now he is joining the biggest club in the world! This is massive news."
Tevez is best friends with United's Argentine defender Gabriel Heinze and was a guest at their end-of-season title party in a London club.
Days later, Tevez scored at Old Trafford on the final day of the season to give West Ham the 1-0 win that kept them in the Premiership, but his controversial transfer has been the subject of a Premier League investigation, which was concluded on Tuesday.
United were hoping to keep the confirmation of the transfer quiet until the furore died down and the deal will not be officially declared until the middle of next week. The official transfer fee — and wages — are still to be confirmed.
United have already signed
Portuguese winger Nani and Brazilian midfielder Anderson on expensive five-year contracts.
The pair join the Premier League champions from Sporting Lisbon and Porto respectively, while England midfielder Owen Hargreaves completed his move from Bayern Munich. The total cost of those deals is £50m.
United have also made Polish keeper Tomasz Kuszczak a full signing after he played last
season on loan from second
division West Bromwich.
With multi-million pound backing from their American investors, United have been flexing their financial muscle, but the signing of Tevez is their most ambitious.
The little striker has told friends that he is "very excited" about his future, though he has refused to confirm his next
destination. Tevez has also been linked with Inter Milan and
Arsenal, although West Ham had been hoping to keep him.
Tevez told Sportsmail in an exclusive interview last season: "If I can play at West Ham in such a difficult position, then it's easier to play for a bigger club, with players such as Rooney, Ronaldo or Drogba.
"I would be capable of playing at any English team, because the English game is no longer a problem for me." He then went on to save West Ham,
following his controversial "loan" move from Corinthians, a club he joined in a South American transfer record of $22m.
As well as being fined for turning up in an official press conference wearing a United shirt, he was also punished for turning up for a game in Bermuda shorts — and for fighting with team-mates.
Then the goals started and he was branded a hero. The fans copied his braided hair cut, followed his celebration dance craze and bought the replica shirts.
It was claimed that 4,000 were sold at every home game. He was elected captain by his team-mates and he would lead out his team with his baby daughter, Florencia, in his arms, producing a dummy from his sock when he scored a goal.
Then, when a website opened in his name, it broke the previous record held by Ronaldinho by 4,000 hits.
Tevez received 16,000 hits and the local newspapers called it "the birth of Tevezmania". It sounds like a marketing dream for Manchester United.
West Ham last night confirmed the free transfer signing of former England goalkeeper Richard Wright, who left Everton at the end of last season.
Share or comment on this article:
Most watched Sport videos
- Fred limps out of World Cup training with Brazil after nasty fall
- Stats roundup of all the action on day seven of the World Cup
- Vardy dresses up as cowboy on James Corden's 'Late Late show'
- Neymar insists he's fit for Brazil's game against Costa Rica
- Neymar limps out of Brazil's training session at World Cup
- Japan fans pick up litter after Japan's victory over Columbia
- Paul Pogba flies out barbers to Russia for new trim
- Marcus Rashford says captain Harry Kane is a 'brilliant leader'
- Premier League transfer round-up: Wilshere out, Leno at Arsenal
- Portugal player Silva says playing with Ronaldo is a 'dream'
- 'It's time to support my team': Goalkeeper Joe Hart
- Fans go wild as Ronaldo equalises for Portugal against Spain
- 'I was running around like an England fan': Tottenham...
- Diego Maradona went from jumping with joy to rubbing his...
- Argentina 0-3 Croatia, RECAP score updates: Relive the...
- Iceland train at the Volgograd Arena as minnows go in...
- France 1-0 Peru: Kylian Mbappe is the hero for Didier...
- Gareth Southgate tells England squad to stand up to the...
- Raheem Sterling could be axed by England for Panama match...
- Potential England-Scotland clash at Euro 2020 faces a...
- Neymar will be looking to silence his critics against...
- Alex Iwobi and Co gear up for Iceland clash with training...
- 'Fine. I don't care:' Nick Kyrgios makes no apology for...
- Jon Flanagan grateful for a fresh start as full back...
- Starting for the first time in a decade, Danny Cipriani...
- Danilo ruled out of Brazil's clash against Costa Rica...
- Transformed Jordan Henderson is the heart of England at...
- England close in on whitewash against Australia as Jason...
- England have best chance of winning World Cup since...
- Frankie Dettori wins SIXTH Royal Ascot Gold Cup after...
MOST READ SPORTPrevious Next
Get the Football RSS feedMore RSS feeds...
STARS OF SPORT
- Switzerland fans travel 1,240 miles in a TRACTOR to see their country take on Serbia in Kaliningrad Ploughing through 2,000km of autobahns
- REVEALED: McLaren staff revolt over 25p Freddo chocolate bars given to them as a reward for hard work EXCLUSIVE BY JONATHAN McEVOY
- Maradona went from jumping with joy to rubbing his eyes in disbelief... the World Cup legend's rollercoaster night Croatia crush Argentina
- 'He's very fortunate not to get sent off': Shearer believes Rebic should have seen red before he gave Croatia lead against Argentina Lucky to be on the pitch
- Otamendi kicks Rakitic and Modric mimics THAT goal against Manchester United THINGS YOU MISSED from day eight in Russia
World Cup 2018: Top Stars
TOP SPORT STORIES
- Alli returns to England training as he fights to be fit for their final World Cup group game against Belgium Things looking up for the Tottenham midfielder
- Argentina 0-3 Croatia: Messi and Co on the brink of World Cup group stage elimination in Russia IAN HERBERT AT NIZHNY NOVGOROD STADIUM
- Transformed Henderson is the heart of England at this World Cup MARTIN SAMUEL - CHIEF SPORTS WRITER
- Why has Messi failed to match Ronaldo? REDKNAPP, KEOWN AND SUTTON have their say on Argentina star's struggles Sportsmail's verdict on lacklustre superstar
- 'He's very fortunate not to get sent off': Shearer insists Croatia star Rebic should have seen red before opening scoring Lucky to be on the pitch
- REVEALED: McLaren staff revolt over 25p Freddo chocolate bars given to them as a reward for their hard work EXCLUSIVE BY JONATHAN McEVOY
- ROYAL ASCOT TIPS: All the best bets for day four including Billesdon Brook to win the Coronation Stakes Sportsmail's racing expert Robin Goodfellow provides his tips
- Dettori wins SIXTH Royal Ascot Gold Cup after storming home on Stradivarius Stradivarius claimed victory in a thrilling renewal of the Gold Cup at Royal Ascot
- 'It's going to happen soon': Hamilton reveals he's 'closer than ever' to signing £120m three-year Mercedes extension He is 'closer than ever' to signing contract extension
- 'I don't care:' Controversial Kyrgios makes no apology for swearing during victory over Edmund at Queen's Nick Kyrgios dropped an array of bombs at Queen's
- Beckham tips England to meet Argentina in World Cup final The former Three Lions captain is backing his country to make it to final
MORE STARS OF SPORT
- Morata washes away World Cup rejection blues with ocean dip on holiday with pregnant wife Alice Campello Keeping his mind off Spain's campaign
- Alli returns to England training as he fights to be fit for their final World Cup group game against Belgium Had a run out after the squad's session
- Dettori wins SIXTH Royal Ascot Gold Cup after claiming thrilling victory on Stradivarius The four-year-old was a 7-4 joint-favourite for Ascot's prized race
- Sweden striker Berg's four-year-old son reduced to tears as he watches dad make World Cup debut Sweden's victory had a very sweet moment
- Rashford and Lingard continue bromance by spending free time shopping in Saint Petersburg as England duo gear up for Panama Fun trip
- 'I want to be the calmest guy on the field': Cipriani raring to go in Cape Town Big day to come ahead of first England start since 2008
- Fred unveiled by Manchester United in £52m deal as Mourinho hails his 'creative brain and passing vision' And Fred the mascot welcomes him on piano!
- Flanagan joins Rangers to link up with former team-mate Gerrard after being released by Liverpool New chance after attack on girlfriend
- Klopp enjoys holiday in Ibiza as he takes a break from Liverpool pre-season preparations Relaxed on private yacht with family
- Panama gear up for England as they train at their Saransk base ahead of Sunday's crunch Group G clash World Cup debutants getting ready
- Vettel arrives bright and early at Paul Ricard circuit as F1 stars prepare for France Grand Prix in Le Castellet Doing his homework
- Sterling dropped for Panama clash as England training notes reveal potential line-up Marcus Rashford is set to start up front in England's second World Cup game
- Can checks in for Italian job as Juventus confirm free transfer from Liverpool Midfielder Emre Can has arrived in Turin after leaving Anfield
- Germany prepare for crunch World Cup clash against Sweden as Hamann tells critics to lay off Ozil 'One of the most important players'
- Alli absent from England training ahead of Panama as he faces uphill battle to be fit Gareth Southgate loses the sling after dislocating his right shoulder
- Brazil reassure fans that Neymar is fit as star is put through his paces a day after limping out of training session Put the nation at ease
- Hamilton takes part in cross-fit workout in Marseille as F1 champ stays fit ahead of French Grand Prix Working up a sweat in gruelling session
- World Cup stars as you've never seen them before: Ronaldo, Messi and Co painted in uniforms for St Petersburg exhibition Wall of fame
- 'I should have ripped his head off', Keane SLAMS Iran coach Queiroz after divulging their frosty relationship at Manchester United No love lost between them
- Isco the hero: Spaniard rescues small bird from the Kazan Arena pitch during clash against Iran Doing his bit to help the wildlife
- England's culture club: Stars swap training for tourism as they take tour of Hermitage, the world's second largest museum Relaxing in Russia
- 'I see Pepe is still a d***': Lineker leads social media backlash against Portugal defender for pathetic dive against Morocco Went down WAY too easily
- Ronaldo's girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez supports Portugal in the crowd during narrow World Cup victory against Morocco Saw her man score
- Rangers players feeling the heat as new boss Gerrard whips them into shape during Malaga training camp Ahead of his first game in charge
- 'Prince Harry, Harry Styles, Harry Kane. I could be your third-favourite British Harry': England players join James Corden Funny bid for US support
- Google Doodle celebrates Portugal, Morocco, Uruguay, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Spain Looking at the sides in action on Wednesday
- This is no time to put your feet up, Leo! Messi gets lift to training on a golf buggy as Argentina prepare for vital game against Croatia Not in top gear yet
- Know your 'disco' from your 'cobra'?: Cipriani trains with code words from tactical moves written on hand Danny Cipriani may have been struggling
- McGregor enjoys shirtless bike ride in New York as his lawyers work on plea deal over UFC bus attack Looked relaxed despite ongoing legal battle
- Kane interviewed in ICE BATH following England's last-gasp victory against Tunisia as he labels goal 'what dreams are made of' Happy skipper
- Ronaldo shows off new look as he arrives for Portugal's World Cup showdown with Morocco sporting goatee Is he the real GOAT?
- BBC's Vicki Sparks makes history as first female commentator to take lead on a World Cup game for British television But is Terry not a fan?
- Senegal celebrate World Cup win over Poland by cleaning up the stadium Actions received a lot of praise from scores of social media users
- 'I was left with little choice': Wilshere to LEAVE Arsenal this summer Unai Emery couldn't guarantee regular football
- Gunner move to the Premier League! Arsenal confirm £20m signing of German goalkeeper Leno from Leverkusen He's a keeper!
- Egypt's own goal was FIFTH of the World Cup and Sanchez's third-minute red card was second quickest in tournament history THINGS YOU MISSED
- England make a splash after dramatic win over Tunisia Stars lark about in the pool on inflatable unicorns in recovery session after starting with a 2-1 win
- Carrick enjoys off-season break with wife Lisa Roughead in Greece as he prepares for life as a full time coach at United Life's a beach
- Neymar is escorted from Brazil training after wincing in pain as he sparks fresh fears over foot injury Will another World Cup end in injury?
- Look who's back! Murray returns to the court 342 days on from his last competitive match as he takes on Kyrgios at Queen's Club Great Briton
- Morata and wife Alice Campello enjoy summer break in Sardinia after Chelsea star is left out of Spain World Cup squad Not too bothered
- Ronaldo enjoys a laugh in Portugal training as they gear up for World Cup clash against Morocco Portugal face a crucial game but he's relaxed
- 'When I step onto the field we are together. 100 million strong': Salah appears in motivational video Preparing for World Cup bow on injury return
- Jones and England ramp up the effort in training as they look to bring an end to devastating slump Danny Cipriani makes a case for No 10 berth
- Touchdown at Tottenham! NFL shield laid on to artificial pitch as work continues at new 62,000-seater stadium Multi-purpose ground
- 'God has blessed our family with a wonderful gift': Mako Vunipola poses with newborn son after returning early from England tour South Africa woes ended
- RonalDO vs RonalDON'T... Portugal talisman shares animated video revealing what his subconscious says Before taking free-kicks
- Rashford and Loftus-Cheek launch push for England start against Panama at training As Dele Alli is sent for scan on thigh injury... with rest of stars given day off
- 'It's a pleasure to be back at Barcelona, it's like my second home': Abidal vows to bring his fighting spirit After being unveiled as technical secretary
- Kane's World Cup heroics against Tunisia earn him a well deserved upgrade in FIFA 18 It was a true captain's display by Harry Kane
- 'We wish we had Harry Kane!': German press heap praise on England captain after brace against Tunisia Bild suggest old rivals could win World Cup
- Kane to the rescue! Captain scores injury-time winner as England get up and running at the World Cup in Russia Plenty to ponder for head coach Southgate
- Southgate's joy at Kane's opener, South Korea's use cling film to treat injuries and Henry makes World Cup coaching debut Things you missed
- Ferdinand describes Walker's defending as 'criminal' after England star is caught out The Manchester City defender gave away a penalty against Tunisia
- Neymar is 'working hard' as Brazil prepare for clash with Costa Rica in St Petersburg Brazil need their superstar forward to show up when it matters
- Griezmann, Pogba and France squad prepare for Peru clash Deschamps looking for a more convincing display than their narrow victory over Australia
- England fans soak up the atmosphere in Volgograd as smallest- ever travelling support battle 30-degree heat And insect swarms are the next enemy
Season at a glance
- Premier League
- Premier League
- League One
- League Two
- Scottish Premiership
- Scottish Div 1
- Scottish Div 2
- Scottish Div 3
- Ligue 1
- Serie A
- La Liga
- Argentina 0-3 Croatia: Lionel Messi and Co on the brink of World Cup group stage elimination after Willy...
- 'Leo is limited because the team doesn't gel with him': Argentina manager Jorge Sampaoli blames Lionel...
- Transformed Jordan Henderson is the heart of England at this World Cup
- Why has Lionel Messi failed to shine in Russia like Cristiano Ronaldo? Verdict panel have their say after...
- Gareth Southgate tells England squad to stand up to the Panama bullies as they expect a physical battle
- McLaren F1 staff revolt over 25p chocolate bars given to them as a reward for their hard work
- Lionel Messi was overworked facing Iceland but isolated against Croatia with the fewest touches he has ever...
- Nicolas Otamendi kicks Ivan Rakitic and Luka Modric mimics THAT goal against Manchester United: Things you...
- Starting for the first time in a decade, Danny Cipriani says he must keep his England place after forcing...
- 'Everyone is so angry in Argentina': Pablo Zabaleta admits Lionel Messi and Co's performance against Croatia...
- Potential England-Scotland clash at Euro 2020 faces a coin toss to decide on Wembley or Hampden Park venue
- Neymar will be looking to silence his critics against Costa Rica while Iceland should see off Nigeria
- Diego Maradona went from jumping with joy to rubbing his eyes in disbelief... the World Cup legend's...
- Robin Goodfellow's Royal Ascot Tips: All the best bets for day four of racing
- 'He’s very fortunate not to get sent off': Alan Shearer believes Ante Rebic should have seen red before he...
- Michael O'Neill: My lowdown on Panama... they aren't like a traditional Latin American team (and England...
- Dele Alli returns to England training as he fights to be fit for their final World Cup group game against...
- England have best chance of winning World Cup since Italia 90... frailties of heavyweight nations means that...
- Raheem Sterling could be axed by England for Panama match after Steve Holland's notes pictured in training
- Trent Alexander-Arnold urges England to be more clinical in front of goal following display against Tunisia
- Argentina 0-3 Croatia: Lionel Messi and Co on the brink of World Cup group stage elimination after Willy Caballero blunder, Luka Modric piledriver and Ivan Rakitic tap-in send them crashing to defeat
- ‘Sometimes he’s playing flashy… he needs to be careful’: Patrice Evra warns Kylian Mbappe not to ‘copy Neymar’ after netting his first World Cup goal for France in win over Peru
- Why has Lionel Messi failed to shine in Russia like Cristiano Ronaldo? Verdict panel have their say after Argentina's 3-0 loss to Croatia left them on the brink of group stage elimination
- Argentina 0-3 Croatia, RECAP score updates: Relive the action as Lionel Messi aimed to get World Cup 2018 campaign back on track with first victory of Group D
- Fred unveiled by Manchester United in £52m deal as Jose Mourinho hails his 'creative brain and passing vision' (and Fred the mascot welcomes him on the piano!)
- 'Leo is limited because the team doesn't gel with him': Argentina manager Jorge Sampaoli blames Lionel Messi's poor World Cup performances on his team mates
- Raheem Sterling could be axed by England for Panama match after Steve Holland's notes pictured in training
- 'In Argentina they know that Diego Maradona is light years away from Lionel Messi': Sergio Ramos hits back at legend following dig
- Jurgen Klopp enjoys holiday in Ibiza as he takes a break from Liverpool pre-season preparations by relaxing on private yacht with family
- World Cup 2018 – France 1-0 Peru, RESULT: Kylian Mbappe sends stuttering Les Bleus through but dumps opponents out
- Nicolas Otamendi kicks Ivan Rakitic and Luka Modric mimics THAT goal against Manchester United: Things you missed from day eight in Russia
- Maurizio Sarri building Chelsea backroom team as he puts Matias Vecino and Jose Maria Callejon top of transfer wishlist
- Transfer news RECAP: Latest from Premier League and Europe
- Carlos Sanchez receives death threats after Colombia red card in chilling echoes of Andres Escobar
- Diego Maradona went from jumping with joy to rubbing his eyes in disbelief... the World Cup legend's rollercoaster night as his beloved Argentina are crushed by Croatia
- Emre Can signs for Juventus from Liverpool on free transfer as midfielder is handed four-year deal worth £135,000 a week
- McLaren F1 staff revolt over 25p chocolate bars given to them as a reward for their hard work
- England will face Argentina in the World Cup final, predicts former captain David Beckham
- Lionel Messi was overworked facing Iceland but isolated against Croatia with the fewest touches he has ever had in a World Cup match... Luka Modric bossed the battle of the No 10s
- Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata washes away World Cup rejection blues with ocean dip on holiday with pregnant wife Alice Campello
- MOST READ IN DETAIL
Want a Date?Join Match.com Now for Free! more Advertisement
From the Makers of Candy CrushFarm Heroes Saga, the #4 Game on iTunes. Play it now! more Advertisement Advertisement NEW ARTICLESHomeTop Share
- U.S. Showbiz
Daily Mail Mail on Sunday This is Money
Metro Jobsite Mail Travel Zoopla.co.uk Prime Location Discount Codes Betting
Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd