Mark ColyvanAssocDipAppSc (RMIT), BSc(Hons) (NE), PhD (ANU)
Professor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
A14 Main Quadrangle
University of Sydney
Sydney, NSW, 2006
Office: Room N285, Main Quad (off Lobby Q, NE corner of Quad)
Phone: (+61 2) 9036 6175
Fax: (+61 2) 9351 3918
Email: mark.colyvan AT sydney DOT edu DOT au
Visiting Professor and Humboldt Fellow
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
Philosophy of Logic, Philosophy of Mathematics, Decision Theory, Environmental Philosophy, Ecology and Conservation Biology.
Current Research Projects
Formal Approaches to Legal Reasoning (ARC funded), Laws, Models and Analogies in Ecology (ARC funded), Mathematical Notation (ARC funded), Mathematical Explanation (ARC funded), Decision and Risk in Environmental Science, Group Decision Methods (DAFF funded), Ecological Allometries (STIAS funded).
- An Introduction to the Philosophy of Mathematics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2012.
- Ecological Orbits: How Planets Move and Populations Grow, Oxford University Press, New York, 2004. (Coauthor: Lev R. Ginzburg.)
- The Indispensability of Mathematics, Oxford University Press, New York, 2001.
- 'Explanation Impossible', Philosophical Studies, forthcoming. (Coauthor: Sam Baron.)
- 'The Prospects for a Monist Theory of Non-causal Explanation in Science and Mathematics', Erkenntnis, forthcoming. (Coauthors: Alexander Reutlinger and Karolina Krzyżanowska.)
- 'Non-Naturalistic Moral Explanation', Synthese, forthcoming. (Coauthors: Sam Baron, Kristie Miller, and Michael Rubin.)
- 'A Counterfactual Approach to Explanation in Mathematics', Philosophia Mathematica (3), Vol. 28, No. 1 (February 2020), 1–34. (Coauthors: Sam Baron and David Ripley.)
- 'Legal Probabilism: A Qualified Defence', Journal of Political Philosophy, Vol. 27, No. 4 (December 2019), 448–68. (Coauthor: Brian Hedden.)
- 'The End of Mystery', American Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 56, No. 3 (July 2019), 247–64. (Coauthor: Sam Baron.)
- 'The Ins and Outs of Mathematical Explanation', Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol. 40, No. 4 (December 2018), 26–9. Reprinted in M. Pitici (ed.), The Best Writing on Mathematics 2020, Princeton University Press, 2020, forthcoming.
- 'Two Flavours of Mathematical Explanation', in A. Reutlinger and J. Saatsi (eds.), Explanation Beyond Causation, Oxford University Press, 2018, pp. 231–49. (Coauthors: John Cusbert and Kelvin McQueen.)
- 'The Limits of Subtraction', The Australasian Philosophical Review, Vol. 1, No. 2 (September 2017), 168–72.
- 'Biodiversity and Triage', in H. Leitgeb, I. Niiniluoto, E. Sober, and P. Seppälä (eds.), Proceedings of the 15th Congress of Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science: Models and Modelling, College Publications, 2017, pp. 421–35.
- 'How Mathematics Can Make a Difference', Philosophers' Imprint, Vol. 17, No. 3 (January 2017), 1–19. (Coauthors: Sam Baron and David Ripley.)
- 'Value of Information and Monitoring in Conservation Biology', Environment, Systems and Decisions, Vol. 36, No. 3 (September 2016), 302–9.
- 'Making Ado without Expectations', Mind, Vol. 125, No. 499 (July 2016), 829–57. (Coauthor: Alan Hájek.)
- 'Time Enough for Explanation', The Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 113, No. 2 (February 2016), 61–88. (Coauthor: Sam Baron.)
Other Activities and Service
Past President of the Society for Risk Analysis (Australia and New Zealand) (2013); Past President of the Australasian Association of Philosophy (2005–2006); Member of the editorial boards of Australasian Journal of Philosophy (2003–), Philosophia Mathematica (2019–), Conservation Letters (2011–), and The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic (2009–2017).