- Skip to content
- Skip to local navigation
- Skip to bbc.co.uk navigation
- Skip to bbc.co.uk search
- Accessibility Help
- Ancient History
- British History
- World Wars
- Historic Figures
- Family History
- Hands on History
- History for Kids
- On This Day
The global superpower stand-off that brought the world to the brink of destruction.
BBC Two's new Cold War Season explores the cultural and political impact of a conflict that divided the world.
The Korean War 1950 - 1953
Discover how the Cold War turned hot for the first time, on the Korean peninsula in the early 1950s.
- Kill 'em All': The American Military in Korea - Jeremy Williams explores the repercussions of a brutal episode in Cold War history.
Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis 1962
The US president's role in the stand-off that brought the world to the brink of nuclear war. By Professor Ernest R May.
- Audio: JFK and the Celebrity Presidency - One of the keys to John F Kennedy's hold on the American people was his ability to deliver powerful speeches.
- JFK: Celebrity in the White House - Why is he still an icon of the Cold War era? By Professor Lewis L Gould
Weapons of the Cold War
The story of one of the most damaging spy rings in British history - and the astonishing reason they weren't more effective.
- Silent Weapon: Smallpox and Biological Warfare - Colette Flight explores the controversial development of biological warfare.
The Fall of the Soviet Union 1985 - 1991
The reforms, rebellions and political machinations behind the dramatic collapse of the Soviet Union. By Professor Archie Brown
- The Soviet Union's Last Stand - Malcolm Brinkworth explores the last days of Gorbachev's office.
- Humanising Stalin? - The true face of the Soviet dictator, by Simon Sebag Montefiore
World War One Centenary
- Find out more about how the BBC is covering the World War One Centenary, and see the latest programmes and online content
Surviving the trenches
- Dan Snow asks why so many soldiers survived the trenches in WW1
Pack Up Your Troubles
- Gareth Malone finds out how Pack Up Your Troubles became the viral hit of WW1
BBC iDBBC iD
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.