- Japan News
Thursday, February 21, 2019
- COMPLICATED GEOLOGY Quake team gives up goal of drilling 5.2 km in Nankai seabedFebruary 21, 2019 Researchers studying the mechanism of earthquakes along the Nankai Trough south of Japan have abandoned their goal of drilling about 5,200 meters into the seabed to reach a plate boundary fault.
- SIGHTSEEING TARGET High hopes: Yokohama’s Skywalk set to reopen this yearFebruary 21, 2019 YOKOHAMA--The Skywalk footpath beneath the Yokohama Bay Bridge will open as early as March for the first time in nine years in anticipation of increased visitors eager to watch cruise ships.
- LOOKING TO CONNECT Images of rooms occupied by recluses scream out: ‘I’m here’February 21, 2019 One photo is of a room filled with empty cans and garbage. Another shows a birdcage in a hallway outside of a tatami-floored room. A third image is of an old-style personal computer perched on a wooden table.
- NO END IN SIGHT Worst measles outbreak in 10 years hits Japan with 167 patientsFebruary 20, 2019
- State, TEPCO must pay redress to evacuees from Fukushima February 20, 2019 YOKOHAMA--The district court here Feb. 20 ordered the government and Tokyo
- Generous donor seeks to revive towers at famed Nagano castle February 20, 2019
- Top court says adulterer not liable for redress over divorce February 20, 2019
- 61% think Abe inadequately handles labor survey scandal February 19, 2019 Sixty-one percent of people believe the Abe administration's handling
- Panel rejects Okinawa’s request to review landfill decision February 19, 2019
- Turkey, Iran not welcome to new work visa over deportation flap February 19, 2019
- Foodhini serves up culinary diplomacy in D.C. community February 20, 2019 Tucked away in an industrial brick building in the Ivy City neighborhood
- Japan’s exports fall 8.4% in January, hit by China slowdown February 20, 2019
- U.S. carmakers to Trump: Don’t slap tariffs on imported cars February 20, 2019
- The Paradise Papers
Featured here are videos, photos and graphics on how journalists dug into documents leaked from Bermuda and elsewhere to uncover shady transactions through tax havens.
- Transform through SDGs
Here are reports about efforts in Japan and abroad to achieve the U.N. sustainable development goals.
- Chasing Haruki Murakami
Here are news reports and feature stories that keep you up to date on author Haruki Murakami.
- 360-DEGREE LIVES
You can view videos of animals as interactive images that allow you to pan and zoom in to them.
- 9,000 men clash to touch ‘lucky’ man in Aichi festival
- Portion of 1970s underwater house found in sea off Numazu
- Digital art exhibition in Tokyo tickles the cultural senses
Copyright © The Asahi Shimbun Company. All rights reserved. No reproduction or republication without written permission.