UTX (simple glossary format)AAMT Asia-Pacific Association for Machine Translation Content
Updated: August 8, 2016
UTX (Universal Terminology eXchange) is a simple, standardized glossary format that can be easily shared and reused across various tools. The specification and sample glossaries are available for free.
UTX 1.20 is now officially released!
Screenshot of UTX glossary on Excel
Articles and Presentations
- "Introduction to UTX, a Specification for a Shared User Dictionary," (PDF) a paper submitted to the Association of Natural Language Processing, Japan (13th annual meeting). Originally written in Japanese, translated into English.
This paper refers to UTX-Simple 0.91.
- A presentation was delivered at the LISA China Focus (November 2009).
- A presentation was delivered at the LISA Open Standards Summit (February 2011).
- A presentation was delivered at the annual meeting of the Association of Natural Language Processing, Japan (March 2011).
- An article on UTX1.11 on MultiLingual June issue (May 2011)
If you are interested in UTX, please contact us through the following form: We welcome organizations and individuals who could collaborate with us to develop the specification of UTX, to provide and/or build glossaries and tools, and to perform evaluation.
Attention: Please CLICK the button AGAIN on the next screen to submit your message. This site currently does not support SSL. Therefore, the transmission of your data to our server is not encrypted.
By using the specifications of UTX, UTX-Simple, and UTX-XML (hereinafter collectively called “UTX Specifications”) or the dictionaries based on UTX Specifications (hereinafter called “UTX Dictionaries”), you agree to be bound by the following terms. The invalidity or unenforceability of this disclaimer shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
1. To the authors of UTX Dictionaries and related tools from the AAMT and its members:
(1) UTX Specifications are made public, and anyone can use them. The AAMT, however, does not waive any rights thereof and no one may alter UTX Specifications nor make them public.
(2) THE AAMT AND ITS MEMBERS PROVIDE UTX SPECIFICATIONS “AS IS,” WITH NO GUARANTEES WHATSOEVER. YOU SHOULD USE UTX SPECIFICATIONS AND UTX DICTIONARIES AT YOUR OWN RISK.
(3) THE AAMT AND ITS MEMBERS SHALL NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR UTX SPECIFICATIONS AND THE RESULT OF THEIR USE INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE EXISTENCE OF INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES’ RIGHTS AND THE ACCURACY, ADEQUACY AND QUALITY OF THE TRANSLATION.
(4) THE AAMT AND ITS MEMBERS SHALL NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR VERIFYING NOR DO THEY GUARANTEE THE LEGITIMACY OF THE COPYRIGHT FOR EACH UTX DICTIONARY. YOU AND THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF EACH UTX DICTIONARY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LEGAL PROBLEM IF IN ANY CASE THAT THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF THE UTX DICTIONARY IS NOT THE LEGITIMATE HOLDER OF THE APPROPRIATE COPYRIGHT.
(5) The AAMT and its members grant you the permission to stipulate the terms and conditions for the use of UTX Dictionaries by their users for commercial or non-commercial purposes as long as you have the appropriate copyright; provided, however, that the author of UTX Dictionary is solely responsible for verifying the legitimacy of the copyright for data used in the UTX Dictionary.
(6) THE AAMT AND ITS MEMBERS SHALL NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE RESULT OF USE OF THE TOOLS RELATED TO UTX DICTIONARIES.
2. To the users of UTX Dictionaries from their authors:
The users of UTX Dictionaries may make use of UTX Dictionaries, in accordance with their license terms and conditions. Since the license terms and conditions of UTX Dictionaries are varied, please confirm the license indicated in the UTX file header.
3. To the users of UTX Dictionaries and related tools from the AAMT and its members:
THE AAMT AND ITS MEMBERS SHALL NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY IN CONNECTION WITH THE UTX SPECIFICATIONS AND THE RESULT OF THEIR USE INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE EXISTENCE OF INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES’ RIGHTS AND THE ACCURACY, ADEQUACY AND QUALITY OF THE TRANSLATION. You should resolve such problems between you and the author of the UTX Dictionaries.
All Rights Reserved, Copyright (C) AAMT, 1996
Copyright (C) 1996 AAMT All Rights Reserved.