The Zhejiang University of Technology (Chinese: 浙江工业大学; pinyin: Zhèjiāng Gōngyè Dàxúe) is in the city of Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province. It is considered one of the top industrial universities in mainland China and the second largest university in Zhejiang Province after the most comprehensive Zhejiang University.
Engineering, especially chemical and biological engineering, are its strongest disciplines. During the 1980s it made an effort to become a comprehensive technological university instead of a technological college. It keeps a close and broad relationship to the industry.
It is a typical technical university of the new generation in China. It followed the trend during the 1980s and 1990s of Chinese technical institutes changing from the Soviet specialized style into a much more comprehensive style.
Although the history of the Zhejiang University of Technology can be traced back to 1910, its independence (establishment) as a college was in 1953 as the school claims officially. It became a comprehensive technical university in 1993.
The institute has had different names throughout its history:
- Parts of the National Zhejiang University, (1910~1949)
- Hangzhou Chemical Engineering College (1953~)
- Zhejiang Chemical Engineering College (1960~1980)
- Zhejiang Engineering College (1980~1993)
- Zhejiang University of Technology (1993~now)
Schools that joined the Zhejiang University of Technology:
- Zhejiang Academy of Economics and Management attached to Zhejiang Provincial Planning and Economic Commission, November 1994
- Hangzhou Industrial Engineering School of Shipbuilding attached to China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC), July 1997
- Zhejiang Industrial Engineering School of Building Materials attached to Zhejiang Provincial Building Material Corporation, March 2001
Zhejiang University of Tech library at Hangzhou
ZJUT campus in Quzhou
In Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province:
- Chaohui Campus (or Zhaohui Campus), the headquarters
In Quzhou, Zhejiang Province:
- Zhexi Campus serves the Quzhou Chemical Engineering Group (one of the biggest national chemical enterprises).
- Quzhou College
Colleges and departments
Aerial view of Campus Library and lagoon.
- National Key Laboratories
- National Key Laboratory of Industrial Control Technology
- National Key Laboratory and Developing Field of Green Chemosynthetic Technology
- Provincial Key Laboratories, at least 7
- Hangzhou Gongxin Photoelectron Ltd.
- Well Information Technology Ltd.
- Rongda Corp.
- Donghui Technology Co., Ltd.
- Yonghong Education & Research Development Co., Ltd.
- Enma Co., Ltd.
- Bluehouse Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Xiangyuan Hotel
- Xu Guangxian, chemist
- Zhang Zhixiang, Chinese steel magnate
- Zhou Guangyao, Academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering
- Zheng Yuguo, Academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences
- ^ [www.zjut.edu.cn]
- ^ National top 10 Chinese Industrial University Ranking: No.8 Archived October 3, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ National top 100 Chinese University Ranking, Science & Technology Ranking: No.32 Archived December 3, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ National top 100 2008 Chinese University Ranking, Technology Ranking: No.51; by Chinese Academy of Management Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ National top 100 2009 Chinese University Ranking, Integrated (comprehensive) Ranking: No.75; by Chinese Academy of Management Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ English Version Archived February 13, 2008, at the Wayback Machine