This is a descriptive directory of the pages which make up the Wikipedia Manual of Style. It includes only current guidelines, not proposals or historical pages, nor pages that now redirect outside the Manual of Style (e.g. WikiProjects' style-advice essays).
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style (WP:MOS, WP:STYLE)
- The main page of the Manual of Style. It contains general remarks, summaries of the guidance to be found on certain other MoS pages, and fully detailed guidance on certain topics:
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Abbreviations (MOS:ABBR)
- Use of periods, disambiguation, and which abbreviations need and need not be spelled out first.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Accessibility (MOS:ACCESS)
- Details recommended editing practices for best web accessibility of Wikipedia.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Capital letters (MOS:CAPS)
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Captions (WP:CAPTION)
- Best practices for writing and formatting image captions.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Dates and numbers (MOS:NUM)
- Covers time and date formatting, including seasons (MOS:TIME), recommendations for numbers and their notation, which units to use and how to format and abbreviate them (MOS:UNITS), dealing with currencies (MOS:CURRENCY) and geographical coordinates (MOS:COORDS).
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Embedded lists (WP:EMBED)
- When to and not to use a list instead of prose within an article.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Icons (MOS:ICON)
- On the use of small images within text.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Layout (MOS:LAYOUT)
- Ordering of content within articles, structures of standard appendices (MOS:APPENDIX).
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Lead section (MOS:LEAD)
- Everything about the article opener, including the guidance on bolding the subject's name (MOS:BOLDTITLE)
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Linking (MOS:LINKS)
- Everything about the best use of wikilinks.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Lists (MOS:LISTS)
- How and when to use lists on Wikipedia.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Lists of works (MOS:WORKS)
- Presenting a list of works by the article's subject.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Pronunciation (MOS:PRON)
- How to introduce pronunciation data in the International Phonetic Alphabet.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Proper names (MOS:PN)
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Self-references to avoid (MOS:SELF)
- How to avoid mentioning Wikipedia itself, or the fact the article is a webpage.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Spelling (MOS:SPELLING)
- Not a guideline per se, but a handy guide to national varieties of English.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Stand-alone lists (WP:STANDALONE)
- Goes into greater details than MOS:LISTS.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Tables (WP:TABLES)
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Text formatting (MOS:TEXT)
- The use of bold (MOS:BOLD), italics (MOS:ITALICS), and font size (MOS:FONTSIZE) are all discussed here.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Trademarks (MOS:TM)
- Dealing with the idiosyncratic formatting of many trademarks.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Trivia sections (WP:TRIVIA)
- How to avoid accumulation of poorly formatted miscellaneous information.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Words to watch (MOS:WTW)
- Techniques for recognizing and dealing with puffery (MOS:PUFF), charged words (MOS:LABEL and MOS:CLAIM), weasel and doubtful words (MOS:WEASEL and MOS:ALLEGED), editorializing (MOS:EDITORIAL), euphemisms (MOS:EUPHEMISM), clichés (MOS:CLICHE) and rapidly dated expressions (MOS:RELTIME) are all to be found here.
Items outside article text
Topic- and culture-specific guidelines
These usually originated as project guidelines, and typically cover all of terminology, layout, conventions and formatting related to the topic at hand.
Country-, region- and language-specific
A number of proposed or inactive language-specific guidelines exist, but they are not listed here; there are language-specific guidelines for several languages including Korean, Chinese and Hebrew; most issues are instead covered by naming conventions.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Canada-related articles (MOS:CA)
- Covers mostly disambiguation, French names and sourcing population data.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/France and French-related (MOS:FR)
- Accents and their effects on sorting, capitalization of works, noble titles.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Hawaii-related articles (MOS:HAWAII)
- Capitalization and use of Hawaiian diacritics.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Indonesia-related articles (WP:ID-NAME)
- Naming and spelling conventions.
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Ireland-related articles (MOS:IE)
- Historical issues, Irish vs. English, reference to counties
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Japan-related articles (MOS:JP)
- Mostly issues of romanization and plural, but also terminology, addresses and related matters
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Philippine-related articles (MOS:PHIL)
- Choice of ethnonym, use of diacritics, disambiguation, name of subdivisions
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Poland-related articles (MOS:PL)
- Terminology, pronunciation, and spelling
- Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Singapore-related articles (MOS:SG)
- Mostly covers names of people
Other relevant pages
The following pages are not part of the Manual of Style, but contain related guidance.
- Related essays
- Other community standards