|This page in a nutshell: |
- The eventcoordinator user group allows editors to create multiple new accounts, and to temporarily confirm accounts so that they can create new articles and publish drafts.
- The group may be permanently granted to established editors, or, at administrator discretion, temporarily granted to less experienced editors who are organizing outreach events.
- Event coordinators should confirm only users who actually participate in an outreach event, and should never allow event participants access to the coordinator's account.
The event coordinator user group (eventcoordinator user group) gives editors the (noratelimit) right so they can create accounts without being subject to the 6 accounts per IP address limit, and allows editors to temporarily add confirmed status to event attendees with newly created accounts, bypassing the standard four day wait. Confirmed status allows those accounts to directly create new articles, move draft pages to articles, skip CAPTCHA checking when adding links, and upload images. This user group was created primarily in response to a community decision to permanently limit article creation to editors in the confirmed or autoconfirmed user groups.
If you wish to request the event coordinator group for yourself or another user, please see Wikipedia:Requests for permissions/Event coordinator. Administrators automatically have these rights granted with the toolset.
There are currently 127 event coordinators, which makes the total number of users with this permission 1,263 (the rest are administrators).
- Event coordinators should not add manual confirmed status to accounts for more than 10 days.
- Event coordinators should confirm only accounts where the user is actually taking part in an outreach event.
- When creating accounts, event coordinators should always check the box marked use a temporary random password and send it to the specified email address, and should never allow event participants access to the coordinator's account.
Guidelines for granting
- The general process page for grants is Wikipedia:Requests for permissions/Event coordinator.
- Any administrator may permanently grant the user right on request to any editor with an established record of editing on the English Wikipedia who is engaged in outreach events.
- Any administrator may at their discretion temporarily grant the right to a user with minimal experience on the English Wikipedia who is hosting or staffing an outreach event.
Criteria for revocation
The user right can be revoked for violating any of the above usage standards or for general misconduct. Additionally, this right can be revoked at any time by an administrator without any process or prior notice in any of the following circumstances:
- The editor failed to report to an administrator after noticing unauthorized use of their account or otherwise neglected account security practices.
- The account has been inactive for 12 months.
Additionally, the right may be removed immediately at the request of the editor (you may ask at WP:AN).
If your event coordinator right was revoked and you would like to appeal the decision, first discuss with the revoking administrator. If after such an exchange you still feel the matter is unresolved and requires outside input, you may post at WP:AN to appeal the decision. Requests to regain the right after a revocation for inactivity or self-requested removal may be made at WP:PERM.
Creating accounts for attendees
The account creation page.
To create an account for an event attendee on wiki you will first need to collect the following information:
- The requested username. Be sure the username complies with the username policy.
- An email address to deliver the initial password. (Your attendees will need to have access to their email account.)
To create the account:
- Go to Special:CreateAccount
- Check the box next to Use a temporary random password and send it to the specified email address.
- Input the requested username. An indicator will let you know if it is already in use.
- Input the attendee's email address to have the password sent to. Enter this carefully; it can not be changed without logging in to the new account.
- Input a reason (e.g. "Event attendee"). Please note, the reason will be publicly logged.
- Press "Create account"
- Even if not in use, some usernames may be disallowed due to similarity with other users, certain disallowed characters or strings, or technical reasons. In these cases you may see an error such as The supplied credentials could not be used for account creation. If so, you will need to use a different username.
Granting confirmed status
- To modify a user's rights, browse to Special:UserRights.
- Type in the name of the user you wish to grant rights to. If you type in a non-existent username, you will be informed of this. Also make sure you are giving the right to the user you intend to give it to, and not a possible imposter of that user.
- Please note: Event coordinators may not remove confirmed access, only add it. Should you grant access in error, please ask an administrator to make a correction.
- Press the "Edit user groups" button to bring up the User rights management screen. This screen can also be accessed by via the link "User groups management" under the Tools section of your sidebar, visible when you are on a page in a user's userspace.
- On the User rights management screen, you will see two lists: one titled Groups you can change and the other Groups you cannot change.
- Check the box next to "confirmed user". This will cause a box that says "Does not expire" to appear underneath the user right. You may either set it to the pre-populated 1 day, 1 week, or 10 days expiration times, or set a custom time of up to 10 days by selecting Other time: and typing in a length.
- Please note: Users with the event coordinator right should always select an expiration time of 10 days or less.
- In the lower box titled Reason, explain why you are giving the user the right (e.g. "confirming event participant").
- Press Save user groups. The screen will blink and the User rights log at the bottom of the screen will be changed.