Vatican News is a news information portal provided by the Pontifical Council for Social Communications which "aggregate[s] information from the Vatican’s various print, online, radio and television media in a one-stop shop for news about the Holy See."
Vatican News was launched as a website under the name News.va 27 June 2011.
It was sometimes referred to as The Vatican Today. News.va launched The Pope App in January 2013.
On Saturday, June 27, 2015, Pope Francis, through a motu proprio ("on his own initiative") apostolic letter, established the Secretariat for Communications in the Roman Curia, and News.va and the Pontifical Council are expected to be incorporated in it eventually.
The menu on the site consists of links to various Catholic social media options, such as:
- Fides News Agency - the information service reporting news which has taken place all over the world.
- L'Osservatore Romano - Vatican newspaper which presents papal texts and documents of the Holy See in a documentary and journalistic style.
- Press Office of the Holy See - daily news, documentation, Vatican information service and logistical information.
- VIS - shares recent Vatican City news in reverse chronological order.
- Vatican Radio - a mean of communication which serves the ministry of the Pope and reports news from the Vatican, the church and from the rest of the world.
- CTV - the Vatican Television Center which aims to spread the Gospel by documenting the Pope's pastoral ministry and the activities from the Holy See.
- A link named "From the Pope" - takes the visitor to the official Vatican website.