Udaya TV is a regional Kannada language Indian cable television station. It is also the first Kannada satellite channel in India.
The channel is part of the Chennai-based Sun Network headquartered at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Udaya TV is telecast in several nations, including India, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Malaysia, Canada and the United States.
Some of the other Kannada channels from Asian Television Network group are Udaya Movies (a 24-hour Kannada movies channel), Udaya News (a 24-hour Kannada news channel), Udaya Music (a 24-hour Kannada music channel) and Udaya Comedy (a 24-hour comedy channel). On 16 March 2017, Udaya Tv became the Second channel in Kannada Television to be broadcast in 1080i Full HD . The High Definition Channel is Udaya HD and was first telecast via Sun Direct DTH service on Channel number 860.
Udaya TV was incorporated on 2 May 1994 as a private limited company engaged in television broadcasting with a registered office at Chennai,Tamil Nadu. It was launched by the chairman of Sun TV, Kalanidhi Maran, and it started broadcasting from 1 June 1994. It was the first Kannada satellite channel to go on air.
It grew rapidly and by May 2000, Udaya TV has captured 70% of ad spending on TV in the state of Karnataka.
It won the Indian Television Academy's best Kannada TV channel award in the year 2001 and 2002.
It forayed into FM radio broadcasting by launching Vishaka FM, an FM channel in Visakhapatnam.
It was a free-on-air channel until 1 August 2004, when it was made a pay channel with a subscription fee of Rs.18.
In February 2006, the directors of Udaya TV were Kalanidhi Maran, S. Selvam and Kaveri Kalanidhi. S. Selvam was also the Director of the Bangalore Bureau of Udaya TV.
In November 2006, Udaya TV Ltd. was merged with Sun TV Ltd. along with Gemini TV Ltd.
- Golden star Ganesh started his career and got popular at Comedy Time. Later, Anupama Bhat and Srikantha continued show on Udaya TV
- Tejashwini Sreeramesh, Lok Sabha MP from the Kanakapura constituency of Karnataka; previously an anchor of a talk show, Mukha Mukhi telecast on Udaya TV
- Srinath, an actor in Kannada cinema; a Vice President of Udaya TV; hosted a show for married couples called Aadarsha Dampatigalu (Ideal-Couples) on Udaya TV
- Adarsha Dampatigalu (Kannada: ಆದರ್ಶ ದಂಪತಿಗಳು) - "best couple competition"; Sunday mornings
- Aksharamaale - weekly singing competition, including the popular game of antyakshari; the competition is held in all the major towns and cities of Karnataka
- Crazy Time - a game show played on streets in different places in Karnataka
- Crime Story - by Balakrishna Kakatkar, covering the various crimes in Karnataka
- Harate - special program on the morning of every festival, such as Ugadi, Sankranthi, and Vijaya Dashami
- Kurigalu Saar Kurigalu - daily night program on making fools
- Udaya News - daily news, telecast on mornings and evenings
Key production house
- Amma Naagamma
- Chakravaka - 2011
- Crime Story
- Jokali - 2010
- Kuhu Kuhu
- Kunkuma Bhagya
- Kavyanjali - 2001
- Nandini(Reshot in Kannada Version)
- Maley - 2008-09
- Parvathi - most popular serial in 2000
- Ratha Saptami - 2009, the Kannada version of the Telugu serial Raktha Sambandham
- Sankranthi - by T.S. Nagabharana
- Sharadhruthu - 2006
- Tharkappu Kalai Theeratha - 2013
- Thulasi - 2003-04
- Aliguli Mane
- AnuRaga Sangama
- Chandra Chakkori
- Kadhambari Kanaja
- Indian Television Academy's award for the best Kannada TV channel for 2001
- Indian Television Academy's award for the best Kannada TV channel for 2002
- ^ Channel Information Archived 29 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ a b Financial and other details related to Udaya TV are mentioned in "Sun TV Limited Prospectus" (PDF). Online Webpage of SEBI, Securities and Exchange Board of India. Sun TV Ltd. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- ^ a b History of Sun TV network and its channels is mentioned by "Sun TV". Online webpage of TelevisionPoint.com. © 2005-2007 Televisionpoint.com. Archived from the original on 1 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- ^ A biography of Kalanidhi Maran is presented by M. Anand. "Businessworld, SUN TV: The heat is on". Businessworld, dated 2000-05-29. Businessworld. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- ^ Udaya TV being made a pay channel is mentioned by G R N Somashekar. "Pay Channel". Online photo images of the Hindu, dated 2004-08-16. Chennai, India: 2004, The Hindu. Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 21 April 2007.
- ^ "Udaya TV employees' protest turns violent". Online Edition of the Deccan Herald, dated 2005-08-17. 2005, The Printers (Mysore) Private Ltd. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- ^ Merger of Udaya TV with Sun TV is discussed by "Gemini, Udaya merger with Sun TV". Online edition of The Hindu Businessline, dated 2006-11-28. 2006, The Hindu. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- ^ Anand's debut as a hero is mentioned by "Vishnukanth's second movie on April 20". Online webpage of Newindpress.com, dated 2007-04-19, cached on Google. Express Network Private Ltd. Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- ^ Tejashwini Sreeramesh's election campaign is mentioned by Special Correspondent (2004-03-31). "Srikantaiah for Hassan Lok Sabha seat". Online Edition of The Hindu, dated 2004-03-31. Chennai, India: 2004, The Hindu. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- ^ Srinath's short biography is mentioned by DH News Service. "Discontent in parties over Council poll". Online Edition of The Deccan Herald, dated 2006-05-22. 2005, The Printers (Mysore) Private Ltd. Retrieved 2007-04-21.
- ^ Singing competition Aksharamaale Official page retrieved on 21 April 2007
- ^ Crazy Time - A Gameshow - Official Page retrieved on 21 April 2007
- ^ a b Sun TV Channels get Best Channel Awards from Indian Television Academy - A picture report.