This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.
Soto ayam is a yellow spicy chicken soup with lontong or nasi himpit or ketupat (all compressed rice that is then cut into small cakes) and/or vermicelli or noodles, it is from Indonesia, and popular in Singapore, Malaysia  and Suriname. Turmeric is added as one of its ingredients to get yellow chicken broth. It is probably the most popular variant of soto, a traditional soup commonly found in Indonesian cuisine. Besides chicken and vermicelli, it can also be served with hard-boiled eggs, slices of fried potatoes, Chinese celery leaves, and fried shallots. Coconut milk is sometimes used as an ingredient. Occasionally, people will add "koya", a powder of mixed prawn crackers with fried garlic or orange colored spicy sambal, krupuk or emping is a very common topping.
Different regions have their own variation of this dish, for instance:
- Soto Ambengan, originated from Ambengan, Surabaya. Soto Ambengan is famous for its delicious koya topping.
- Soto Banjar
- Soto Kudus
- Soto Medan
- ^ a b "Soto Ayam at Malioboro Country". 2011-10-29.
- ^ a b c "Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup (Soto Ayam)". Food.com.
- ^ Von Holzen, H.; Arsana, L. (2013). Authentic Recipes from Indonesia. Tuttle Publishing. p. 53. ISBN 978-1-4629-0535-5. Retrieved February 1, 2015.
- ^ Harpham, Z.; Books, M. (2004). The Essential Wok Cookbook. Murdoch Books. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-74045-413-1. Retrieved Feb 1, 2015.
- ^ "Singapore Chicken Soto Soup (Singapore Soto Ayam)".
- ^ "Ini Haji Paijan, Orang Indonesia yang Populerkan Soto Ayam di Malaysia (This is Haji Paijian, the Indonesian who Popularised Soto Ayam in Malaysia)". DetikNews. 30 November 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- ^ "PM CALLS ON MALAYSIANS TO SAFEGUARD PREVAILING HARMONY". Bernama. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- ^ Kruger, V. (2014). Balinese Food: The Traditional Cuisine & Food Culture of Bali. Tuttle Publishing. p. 162. ISBN 978-1-4629-1423-4. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- ^ "Soto Ayam". Archived from the original on 2016-10-26.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Soto ayam.|