|Shivmangal Singh Suman|
5 August 1915|
Jhagarpur Unnao District, Uttar Pradesh, British India
|Died||27 November 2002
Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India
|Notable works||Mitti Ki Baarat, Hillol, Jeevan Ke Gaan|
|Notable awards||1974: Sahitya Akademi Award
1999: Padma Bhushan
1974: Padma Shri
1958: Deva Puraskar
1974: Soviet Land Nehru Award
1993: Shikhar Samman
1993: Bharat Bharti Award
|Relatives||Avinash Singh Chauhan (Naati)|
Upon his death, the then Prime Minister of India, said, "Dr Shiv Mangal Singh ‘Suman’ was not only a powerful signature in the field of Hindi poetry, but he was also the custodian of the collective consciousness of his time. His creations not only expressed the pain of his own feelings, but were also fearless constructive commentary on the issues of the era.".
Shivmangal Singh 'Suman' was born on 5 August 1915 at Jhagarpur, Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh (India). He was a leading Hindi writer and poet. He earned a M.A. and Ph.D. in Hindi from Benaras Hindu University. The university also honoured him with a D.Litt. in 1950. He was Vice Chancellor of Ujjain University and as head of a vibrant family, was blessed with two sons, the elder Arun Kumar Singh, retired from CRPF in the rank of IGP after 37 years of distinguished service in the Army and CAPF. His younger son is a known Neurophysician in UK. His legacy lives on in Ujjain as the city of Kalidas has now another poet who stayed and articulated his thoughts on the bank of River Shipra
Suman worked as the Vice Chancellor of Vikram University (Ujjain) during 1968-78; the Vice-President of Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sansthan, Lucknow; Press & Cultural Attache, Indian Embassy, Kathmandu (Nepal) during 1956-61; and the President, Association of Indian Universities (New Delhi) during 1977-78.
Awards and honours
- Padma Shri - 1974
- Padma Bhushan - 1999
- Deva Puraskar - 1958
- Soviet Land Nehru Award - 1974
- Sahitya Akademi Award - 1974 also for Mitti ki Barat 'मिट्टी की बारात'
- Shikhar Samman - 1993 from M.P. Govt.
- Bharat Bharti Award - 1993 and several others.
- D.Litt. By Bhagalpur University - 1973
- D.Litt. By Jabalpur University - 1983
- Prime Minister's Office, 7 November 2002.
- Sahitya Akademi Citation
- Biography and Works www.anubhuti-hindi.org.
- Shiv Mangal Singh 'Suman' The Times of India, 27 November 2002.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- Shivmangal Singh Suman Profile Unnao district Official website.