|Shivmangal Singh Suman|
August 5, 1915|
Jhagarpur Unnao District, Uttar Pradesh, British India
|Died||November 27, 2002
Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India
|Notable works||Mitti Ki Baarat, Hillol, Jeevan Ke Gaan|
|Notable awards||1974: Sahitya Akademi Award
1999: Padma Bhushan
1974: Padma Shri
1958: Deva Puraskar
1974: Soviet Land Nehru Award
1993: Shikhar Samman
1993: Bharat Bharti Award
Upon his death, the then Prime Minister of India, said, "Dr Shiv Mangal Singh ‘Suman’ was not only a powerful signature in the field of Hindi poetry, but he was also the custodian of the collective consciousness of his time. His creations not only expressed the pain of his own feelings, but were also fearless constructive commentary on the issues of the era.".
Shivmangal Singh 'Suman' was born on August 5, 1915 at Jhagarpur, Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh (India). He was a leading Hindi writer and poet. He earned a M.A. and Ph.D. in Hindi from Benaras Hindu University. The university also honoured him with a D.Litt. in 1950.
Suman worked as the Vice Chancellor of Vikram University (Ujjain) during 1968-78; the Vice-President of Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sansthan, Lucknow; Press & Cultural Attache, Indian Embassy, Kathmandu (Nepal) during 1956-61; and the President, Association of Indian Universities (New Delhi) during 1977-78.
Awards and honours
- Padma Shri - 1974
- Padma Bhushan - 1999
- Deva Puraskar - 1958
- Soviet Land Nehru Award - 1974
- Sahitya Akademi Award - 1974 also for Mitti ki Barat 'मिट्टी की बारात'
- Shikhar Samman - 1993 from M.P. Govt.
- Bharat Bharti Award - 1993 and several others.
- D.Litt. By Bhagalpur University - 1973
- D.Litt. By Jabalpur University - 1983
- Hillol - 1939
- Jeevan ke Gaan - 1942
- Yug ka Mol - 1945
- Pralay Srajan - 1950
- Vishwas Badalta hi Gaya - 1948
- Vidhya Himalaya - 1960
- Mitti Ki Baarat - 1972
- Vani ki Vyatha - 1980
- Kate Anguthon Ki Vandanvaren - 1991
- Hum Panchi Unmukt Gagan Ke
- Faagun Me Saavan
- Mahadevi ki Kavya Sadhana - 1951
- Geeti Kavya: Udyam Aur Vikas - 1995
- Prakriti Purush Kalidas - 1961