Seal of the University
|Motto||Servir la terre et nourrir les affamés|
Motto in English
|Serve the land and feed the hungry|
|Type||State-funded Deemed University|
|Chancellor||Jetti A. Oliver|
|Vice-Chancellor||Rajendra B. Lal|
|Location||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Campus||900 acres (3,600,000 m2)
|Colors||Red, Green and Yellow|
|Affiliations||ACU AIU IAU IAUA|
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences (SHIATS), (Hindi: सैम हिग्गि्नबॉटम कृषि, प्रौद्योगिकी एवं विज्ञान संस्थान) formerly Allahabad Agricultural Institute is a government aided deemed university located in Allahabad, India.
Established in 1910 by Dr. Sam Higginbottom as Allahabad Agricultural Institute towards improving the economic status of rural population. It became the first institute in India to offer a degree in Agricultural Engineering in 1942.
As a tribute to its founder, the institution submitted a proposal to the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2009 to re-christen Allahabad Agricultural Institute as Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences. The Institute was conferred deemed university status on 15 March 2000 and got certified as a Christian Minority Educational Institution in December 2005. The MHRD has placed SHIATS in the list of elite category 'A' deemed universities on the basis of the expert committee recommendation.
The academic infrastructure of the university is organized into eight faculties (8) — which are divided into twenty two (22) constituent schools. It contains a total of seventy eight (78) academic departments and three (3) research centres with emphasis on scientific, agricultural, technological education and research. Since its inception, the institute has produced many notable scientists, geneticists and agricultural engineers. While having completed its own hospital, Hayes Memorial Mission Hospital, the university is in the process of starting a medical college as per Medical Council of India (MCI) norms.
Accreditation and affiliations
The university is a recognized member of Association of Indian Universities, Association of Commonwealth Universities, Indian Agricultural Universities Association and International Association of Universities. The university has been re-accredited with a CGPA of 3.14 on a four-point scale and has received an ‘A’ grade from the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). SHIATS was also accredited in 2009 by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and in 2010 by Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE).
The institute was established by Dr. Sam Higginbottom, an English-born Presbyterian missionary in 1910 as a Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension of Ewing Christian College, Allahabad. The institute was declared as a separate entity from college in 1918. In 1932 it was formally affiliated with the University of Allahabad. About the same time the institute was recognized by the government for a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture. Another landmark came in 1942 when it became the pioneer institute to offer Agricultural Engineering degree in India. In November 1947, the institute was brought under an independent "Board of Directors of the Allahabad Agricultural Institute" which was sponsored as an ecumenical body by a number of churches and missions. During this phase the institute was taken up by Arthur T. Mosher and he is largely credited with major expansion of infrastructure and the introduction of famous "Jamuna Par Punar yojna", the extension project of recruiting workers at the village level. Between 1950 and 1957 Albert Mayer, an American architect, was assigned for developing the major buildings of the institute. In 1951, Ford Foundation granted a sum of $940,000 to the institute for carrying out the research and development projects. In 1952 University of Illinois signed a contract with United States Agency for International Development for assisting the institute in improving its educational programs. Between 1950 to 1980, John B. Chitamber led the institute successfully and made Agricultural extension a very well known programme of the institute. In order to obtain more academic freedom and to strengthen the specialized programmes of teaching, research and extension a proposal was submitted to the Ministry of Human Resource Development in August 1994, that the institute be granted the status of a deemed university. The institute was conferred deemed university status on 15 March 2000 and Dr. Rajendra B. Lal was appointed as the first vice-chancellor of the university.
The university campus is located at Naini, a satellite neighborhood of Allahabad on the banks of river Yamuna. The university is spread over an area of 900 acres lush-green campus, which includes 300 acres of research farms. The campus is divided into clusters of constituent schools and separate blocks for administration. The academic area chiefly comprises the main building, various departmental annexes and auditoria. The university has eleven (11) hostels on campus, six (6) women's, three (3) men's and 2 International hostels.
The university campus also has an open-air theatre for cultural events. Several football, hockey and cricket grounds; and tennis, basketball, squash and volleyball courts are there. The university has a Primary School, Middle school two Inter Colleges housed in their independent buildings, to meet the educational requirements of the employees’ children and also of children of neighbouring areas. In addition to these facilities, the campus also houses a full-fledged Post-Office and a branch of the State Bank of India.
SHIATS is a multi-faculty residential academic institution. The university offers forty two (42) undergraduate programmes, hundred and one (101) postgraduate programmes, sixteen (16) diploma programmes and doctoral programmes in various disciplines with over 10,000 students enrolled on campus.
|Faculty of Engineering & Technology|
|Jacob School of Biotechnology and Bioengineering|
|Shepherd School of Engineering and Technology|
|Warner School of Food and Dairy Technology|
|Vaugh School of Agricultural Engineering and Technology|
|Faculty of Agriculture|
|Allahabad School of Agriculture|
|School of Forestry and Environment|
|Ethilind School of Home Science|
|Makino School of Continuing and Non-Formal Education|
|Faculty of Science|
|School of Basic Science|
|School of Forensic Science|
|Faculty of Business Studies|
|Joseph School of Business Studies|
|Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Dairying|
|Sunderesan School of Animal Husbandry and Dairying|
|School of Animal Welfare & Veterinary Science (Proposed)|
|Faculty of Theology|
|Gospel and Plough School of Theology|
|Yeshu Darbar Bible School|
|Faculty of Humanities, Social Science and Education|
|Allahabad School of Education|
|Chitamber School of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|School of Social Work|
|School of Film and Mass Communication|
|Faculty of Health Sciences|
|Christian School of Health Sciences|
|Christian College of Nursing|
|Christian School of Pharmacy|
|Centre for Transgenic Studies|
|Centre of Advance Theological Studies|
|Kattesh Katti Institute of Green Nanotechnology and Agri Nanotechnology|
Research and collaboration
The university provides an ideal milieu for interdisciplinary collaborative research and interaction between students and faculty. The major research areas include agronomy, mechanised agriculture, food processing, silviculture, genetic engineering, bioprocess engineering and computational biology among others. The research activities in the university are well-funded through extramural research funding from government agencies such as ICAR, DBT, NRSC, DST, MHRD, MRD, UPCAR and EU. The university increased its appeal among international students and attracts students from Afghanistan, Iraq, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Guyana and several African nations. SHIATS has currently signed MoUs with more than 14 countries for academics and research. The university has been in collaboration with a Thailand-based Asian Institute of Technology for academics since 2011. Recently, SHIATS has collaborated with University of Missouri to explore the potential of green nanotechnology on agricultural economy.
Career and placement
The university has established a Career Planning & Counselling Centre (CPCC). The CPCC invites companies for campus recruitments and placement assistance. Besides, the centre facilitates soft skills training, summer internships, career counselling and other personality development programs to the students. Some of the major recruiters of the institute are Indian Army, Infosys, HCL, Amdocs, ThoughtWorks, Union Bank of India, Hindustan Construction Company, Escorts Tractors, Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, ITC Limited, Jain Irrigation, IFFCO, SABMiller and Lupin Limited.
com/2010-09-21/allahabad/28254908_1_workshop-dramatics-sam-higginbottom-institute |newspaper=The Times of India |date=21 September 2010 |accessdate=13 September 2013}}</ref> The academic societies and cultural clubs on the campus organizes various national and international competitions, symposiums, conferences and workshops. Students can also join National Cadet Corps or enroll in National Service Scheme for overall personality development.
|Co-Curricular activities at SHIATS|
- Arthur T. Mosher
- Charlotte Viall Wiser
- John Lawrence Goheen
- John B. Chitamber
- Mason Vaugh
- Sam Higginbottom
- Titus Theverthundiyil
- William H. Wiser
- Valson Thampu
- "NAAC Supplementary Report 2010-13" (PDF). shiats.edu.in. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "ACU Members". acu.ac.uk. ACU. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Members of AIU". aiuweb.org. AIU. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Member Institutions". iau-aiu.net. IAU. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "List of Member Universities of IAUA". iauaindia.org. IAUA. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Proceedings of the XI meeting of the Accreditation Board". icar.org.in. Indian Council of Agricultural Research. 2010. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "Deemed University List". ugc.ac.in. University Grants Commission. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "History of Sam Higginbottom". www.shiats.edu.in. Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Fourth Deans Committee on Agricultural Education in India" (PDF). icar.org.in. Indian Council of Agricultural Research. 2007. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Sam Higginbottom University- Ministry of HRD reference No. F.13-7/2008-U.3.A". www.shiats.edu.in. Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "University". Ugc.ac.in. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- TNN 22 Jun 2010, 10.18pm IST. "Training programme for minority institutions - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Sam Higginbottom University- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, New Delhi vide D.O.No.F.20-71/2005-U.3". www.shiats.edu.in. Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- TNN 27 Apr 2011, 11.04pm IST (27 April 2011). "SHIATS gets new building for research - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- TNN 24 Oct 2010, 11.27pm IST (24 October 2010). "Centenary celebrations at SHIATS - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- Medical Colleges Related Jobs 15 December 2010 (15 December 2010). "Jobs in Hayes Memorial Mission Hospital Physician Jobs General Surgeon Jobs Pediatrician Jobs Radiologist Jobs - Medical College Jobs in India". Educational Jobs in India. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "AIU-MEMBERS". aiuweb.org. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "ACU members". acu.ac.uk. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Indian Agricultural Universities Association". iauaindia.org. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Institutions | International Association of Universities". iau-aiu.net. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "UserFiles/File/Education/Certificate-Accreditation-07Sept-10/SHIATS,%20Allahabad". icfre.org. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "SHIATS: History". shiats.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Anderson, G.H. (1999). Biographical Dictionary of Christian Missions. W.B. Eerdmans Pub. p. 292. ISBN 9780802846808. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Mitra, Asok (1991). The New India, 1948-1955: Memoirs of an Indian Civil Servant. Mumbai: Popular Prakashan. ISBN 8171546919. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- C. Emmett, Robert (1977). "GUIDE TO THE ALBERT MAYER PAPERS ON INDIA". The University of Chicago Library: 8. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Small Farm Equipment for Developing Countries: Proceedings of the International Conference on Small Farm Equipment for Developing Countries. International Rice Research Institute. 1986. ISBN 971104157X. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Princeton Alumni Weekly, Volume 52. Library of Princeton University. 1951. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Shurtleff, William (16 June 2011). Henry Ford and his Researchers - History of their Work with Soybeans, Soyfoods and Chemurgy (1928-2011). Lafayette, California: Soyinfo Center. ISBN 9781928914365. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Jeremy Todd ([email protected]). "Agricultural Communications Documentation Center: Document C18968". web.archive.org. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- ":: Student Welfare & Facilities ::". shiats.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Convocation at SHIATS today". The Times of India. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences officials review convocation preparations". The Times of India. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Proposed Animal Welfare & Veterinary Science Institute". shiatsmail.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Acton, Q. Ashton (21 June 2013). Advances in Proteobacteria Research and Application: 2013 Edition. Atlanta: ScholarlyEditions. p. 92. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "SHIATS- Centre for Advanced Theological Studies". shiatsmail.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "SHIATS to Establish “Kattesh Katti Institute of Green and Agri Nanotechnology” « Department of Physics and Astronomy". physics.missouri.edu. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "SHIATS :: Directorate of Research". shiats.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "SHIATS-International Secretariat". shiats.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "JNTU Hyderabad". unified.ait.asia. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Missouri university group studies hybrid crop varieties - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "SHIATS, University of Missouri to study food security in India - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- ":: Career Planning and Counselling Centre (CPCC)::". shiats.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "UBI recruits 30 SHIATS students - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "13 SHIATS students get campus placement - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Campus selection going strong at SHIATS - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- TNN 23 Feb 2011, 08.32pm IST (23 February 2011). "Students showcase talent at 'Ciencia fusion' - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Krishi mahakumbh from Nov 8". The Times of India. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- ":: MONSOON WORKSHOP ON GREEN NANOTECHNOLOGY ::". shiats.edu.in. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Conference discusses antimicrobial resistance". The Times of India. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- TNN 18 Dec 2011, 03.46PM IST (18 December 2011). "SHIATS students take out candlelight procession - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Evening turns musical at SHIATS". The Times of India. 6 December 2012. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Lee A. Daniels (30 September 1992). "Arthur Mosher, 82, International Expert On Agricultural Aid". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Guide to the William Henricks and Charlotte Melina (Viall) Wiser Papers (Record Group No. 128)". drs.library.yale.edu. Yale University Library. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Goheen Family Papers, 1864-1951". history.pcusa.org. Presbyterian Historical Society. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Introductory Rural Sociology". abebooks.com. New Age International (P) Limited. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Vaugh, Mason (1894-1978), Papers, 1928-1970" (PDF). shs.umsystem.edu. State Historical Society of Missouri. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Founder's Day, alumni meet held at SHIATS". The Times of India. 28 October 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Faculty". ststephens.edu. Retrieved 3 July 2015.