|Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church|
The domes of Saint Mark's Church, standing over the horizon.
|Location||Cleopatra St. Heliopolis, Cairo|
|Denomination||Coptic Orthodox Church|
|Founder(s)||Pope Cyril V of Alexandria|
|Division||The Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate|
|Bishop(s)||HH Pope Tawadros II|
St. Mark's Coptic Orthodox Church is the first Coptic parish that was built and established in the district of Heliopolis in Cairo, Egypt. Being one of several Coptic Orthodox Churches in Heliopolis, St. Mark's Church is specifically located on Cleopatra Street, near the Cleopatra Hospital.
The idea of establishing a church in Heliopolis started out in 1917. A committee was formed, and eventually, the cornerstone was founded on Friday, June 16, 1922, under the papacy of Pope Cyril V. Prayers were held in a temporary location and started in January 1925. This was the case until 1930, when the construction was finally complete. The late Fr. Ibrahim Luke served as the first priest, and was at St. Mark's Church until he died in 1950. Today, there are at least ten priests that serve Saint Mark's Church alone.
Some of the adjacent land was purchased in 1948 to build the church hall and chapel. It was opened by Pope Cyril VI on June 5, 1964, and the new altar was consecrated, bearing the name of Saint Menas.
The following lines are the contact details for Saint Mark's Church:
As Saint Mark's Church has had a long history, there were several occasions upon which there were Papal visits made by different Coptic Popes. Among them are:
- Pope Joseph II: laid the cornerstone of the church hall.
- Pope Cyril VI: in 1960 for prayer and in 1964 for the opening of the church hall.
- Pope Shenouda III: visited several times; in 1973 and 1981 for preaching, as well a more recent visit in 2000, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Fr. Ibrahim Luke's departure.
- Coptic Orthodox Church
- Christian Egypt
- Coptic architecture
- List of Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States
- Coptic Cairo
- Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria
- Saint Barbara Church in Coptic Cairo
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral, Cairo
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Alexandria)
- Saint Mark's Coptic Orthodox Cathedral (Azbakeya)
- Saint Mary and Saint Abasikhiron Coptic Orthodox Church
- Church of Saint Menas (Cairo)
- St Mary and St Mercurius Coptic Orthodox Church
- Saint Mercurius Church in Coptic Cairo
- Saints Sergius and Bacchus Church (Abu Serga)
- The Hanging Church
- Church of the Holy Virgin (Babylon El-Darag)
- Church of the Virgin Mary (Haret Zuweila)
- The official website of St. Mark's Church (Heliopolis). Accessed August 23, 2008.
- Egypt Daily News. Egypt's Hospitals. Accessed August 23, 2008.
- English El Keraza. Dated March 7, 2007. Accessed August 23, 2008
- Yahoo Travel. Coptic Orthodox Church of Saint Mark. Accessed August 23, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint Mark Coptic Orthodox Church (Heliopolis).|