Heavy metal (or simply metal) is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom. With roots in blues rock, psychedelic rock, and acid rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. The genre's lyrics and performance styles are sometimes associated with aggression and machismo.
In 1968, three of the genre's most famous pioneers, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple were founded. Though they came to attract wide audiences, they were often derided by critics. During the mid-1970s, Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; Motörhead introduced a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed. Beginning in the late 1970s, bands in the new wave of British heavy metal such as Iron Maiden and Def Leppard followed in a similar vein. Before the end of the decade, heavy metal fans became known as "metalheads" or "headbangers".
is an American thrash metal
band led by founder, frontman, and songwriter Dave Mustaine
. Formed in 1983 following Mustaine's ejection from Metallica
, the band has since released eleven studio albums
, six live albums
, two EPs
, and two compilations
As a pioneer of the American thrash metal movement, Megadeth rose to international fame in the mid 1980s, but were plagued by constant lineup changes, due partly to Mustaine's and fellow band members' notorious substance abuse problems. After finding sobriety and securing a stable lineup, Megadeth went on to release a string of platinum and gold albums from 1986-1997, including the Grammy nominated, double-platinum Countdown to Extinction in 1992. Megadeth disbanded in 2002 after Mustaine suffered a severe nerve injury to his left arm, but following extensive physical therapy, Mustaine reformed the band in 2004 and released The System Has Failed, which debuted at #18 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, followed by United Abominations in 2007, which debuted at #8 on the Billboard Top 200 chart.
Megadeth are known for their distinctive guitar style, often involving complex, intricate musical passages, and trade off guitar solos. Mustaine is also known for his original "snarling" vocal style, as well as his recurring lyrical themes, often involving politics, war, addiction, and personal relationships.
To display all subcategories click on the ►
- 12 March 2016, Iron Maiden's Ed Force One has struck a tow truck in Santiago Airport, Chile causing extensive damage to the aircraft and leading to two groundcrew being hospitalised. On the band's Twitter feed it was stated that the band's shows in Chile and Argentina will not be affected by the accident.
- 11 March 2016 Keith Emerson best known as a rock and progressive rock and rock keyboardist with The Nice and Emerson, Lake & Palmer has been found dead at the age of 71, with a possibly self inflicted gunshot wound.
- 5 March 2016, Based on real life Iranian Metallica fans, Iranian film Radio Dreams has won a Tiger Award at the International Film Festival Rotterdam.
- 5 March 2016, following the end of the Canadian and ahead of the Australian leg, of their final concert tour, Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi has hinted that this might not quite be "The End", speaking a possible reunion with former front man Tony Martin.
- 23 February 2016, members of Iranian heavy metal band Confess face possible arrest and execution for "blasphemous" lyrics.
- 16 February 2016, the Hollywood Vampires perform a tribute at the Grammy's honouring Motorhead's Lemmy, who died late last year of cancer.
Did you know...
Things you can do