This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.
(Thomas) Michael Dexter FRS (born 15 May 1945) is a British haematologist and director of the Wellcome Trust, from 1998 to 2003.
Dexter was inspired to take A levels at night school and went on study physiology and zoology at the University of Salford. After graduating, he continued in academia and received a PhD from the University of Manchester in 1974 for research into Leukemia. Dexter also received a Doctor of Science degree from the University of Salford in 1982.
Dexter was visiting fellow at the Memorial Sloan–Kettering Cancer Center and a professor of haematology at the University of Manchester from 1985 to 1998.
He was director of the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research and the Wellcome Trust. He has authored over author of 360 articles in scientific journals including Nature and is an editor of four books.
Awards and honours
Dexter was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1991.
- ^ a b c d e f DEXTER, Dr (Thomas) Michael. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2016 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc.
- ^ Mertl, M. (2002). "Michael Dexter to Step Down at Wellcome Trust". Science. 296 (5567): 453a–. doi:10.1126/science.296.5567.453a. PMID 11964454.
- ^ Williams, Nigel (1998). "Michael Dexter takes over Wellcome Trust's pot of gold". Science. 280 (5372): 2043–2044. doi:10.1126/science.280.5372.2043a. PMID 9669957.
- ^ Anon (2002). "Wellcome Trust Director announces his retirement". wellcome.ac.uk. London: Wellcome Trust. Archived from the original on 31 January 2010.
- ^ "In the news: Mike Dexter". timeshighereducation.co.uk. 18 April 2002. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- ^ Dexter, Thomas Michael (1974). Leukaemogenesis by the alkylating agent methylnitrosourea (PhD thesis). University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 16 June 2013.
- ^ "Emeritus Prof Michael Dexter, FRS Authorised Biography – Debrett's People of Today". debretts.com. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- ^ "About Us, history". University of Manchester.
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 June 2013. Retrieved 10 December 2011.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- ^ Dexter, T. M.; White, H. (1990). "Growth without inflation". Nature. 344 (6265): 380–381. doi:10.1038/344380a0. PMID 2320106.
- ^ Whetton, A. D.; Dexter, T. M. (1983). "Effect of haematopoietic cell growth factor on intracellular ATP levels". Nature. 303 (5918): 629–631. doi:10.1038/303629a0. PMID 6855907.
- ^ Dexter, T. M.; Moore, M. A. (1977). "In vitro duplication and "cure" of haemopoietic defects in genetically anaemic mice". Nature. 269 (5627): 412–414. doi:10.1038/269412a0. PMID 561894.
- ^ Dexter, T. Michael; Testa, Nydia G.; Lord, Brian I. (1997). Hematopoietic lineages in health and disease. New York: M. Dekker. ISBN 0-8247-9512-1.