Malcolm D. Lee (born January 11, 1970) is an American film director, screenwriter, producer and actor. He has directed such films as Undercover Brother, The Best Man, Roll Bounce, Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins, Soul Men and Girls Trip. He also directed an episode of the sitcom Everybody Hates Chris. He is a cousin of film director Spike Lee, and is a graduate of Packer Collegiate Institute and Georgetown University. He directed an installment in the Scary Movie franchise, Scary Movie 5. In 2013, he directed The Best Man Holiday, a sequel to The Best Man.
His 2017 movie Girls Trip, starring Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, Tiffany Haddish and Jada Pinkett Smith, received positive reviews from critics and grossed $137 million worldwide; it also grossed over $100 million domestically, the first comedy of 2017 to do so.
His 2018 movie Night School, starring Kevin Hart and Tiffany Haddish is a success and grossed $103 million worldwide.
- ^ "Malcolm D. Lee". The New York Times. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- ^ Brady, Lois Smith (June 4, 2000). "Weddings: Vows; Cami Banks and Malcolm Lee". The New York Times. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- ^ Woodrow, John. (October 1, 2015) ‘The Best Man Holiday’ movie review: Sequel is both a romp and a shameless tearjerker. The Washington Post. Retrieved on 2015-10-20.
- ^ "'Dunkirk' Seizes $50.5M; 'Girls Trip' Is Malcolm D. Lee's Highest Opening; The Reasons Why 'Valerian' Crashed". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- ^ Pedersen, Erik (April 14, 2017). "'Night School' Release Date: Kevin Hart Comedy Set For Fall 2018 From Universal". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- ^ Dominique Hobdy (February 25, 2014). "Malcom <sic> D. Lee and Will Packer Team Up for New Movie 'Girls Trip'". Essence.com. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- ^ Jeff Sneider (March 19, 2014). "'South Park' Writer to Take 'Girl's Trip' With Malcolm D. Lee, Universal". Thewrap.com. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- ^ Dave McNary (June 22, 2015). "Will Packer Sets Female Comedy at Universal". Variety. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- ^ Busch, Anita (May 13, 2016). "Regina Hall To Star In Will Packer's Untitled 'Girl Trip' Film At Uni". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- ^ McNary, Dave (June 29, 2017). "Kevin Hart Comedy 'Night School' Enrolls Malcolm D. Lee to Direct".
- ^ "'The Best Man Wedding' delayed indefinitely, director says".