This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.
List of popular music genres
Popular music is music with wide appeal that is typically distributed to large audiences through the music industry. These forms and styles can be enjoyed and performed by people with little or no musical training. It stands in contrast to both art music like Western classical music or Indian classical music, and traditional or "folk" music.
A music genre is a conventional category that identifies some pieces of music as belonging to a shared tradition or set of conventions.
This is a list of the commercially relevant modern popular music genres, with applicable styles classified using AllMusic genre categorization.
Genres or styles that are not contemporary or commercially marketed in substantial numbers have been excluded from this list, as follows:
- Music written for the score of a play, musicals, or similar: Filmi, incidental music, video game music, music hall songs and showtunes
- Ballroom dance music: pasodoble, cha cha cha and others
- Religious music: Gregorian chant, spirituals, hymns and similar
- Occasional music: Military music, marches, national anthems and related compositions
- Regional and national music with no significant commercial impact abroad, except when it is a version of an international genre, such as: traditional music, oral traditions, sea shanties, work songs, nursery rhymes, Arabesque and indigenous music. In North America and Western Europe, regional and national genres that are not from the Western world are sometimes classified as world music.
Caribbean and Caribbean-influenced
R&B and soul
- Danger music – an experimental form of avant-garde music based on the concept that some pieces of music can or will harm either the listener or the performer
- Borthwick, Stuart, & Moy, Ron (2004) Popular Music Genres: An Introduction. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Fabbri, Franco (1982) A Theory of Popular Music Genres: Two Applications. In Popular Music Perspectives, edited by David Horn and Philip Tagg, 52-81. Göteborg and Exeter: A. Wheaton & Co., Ltd.
- Frith, Simon (1996) Performing Rites: On the Value of Popular Music. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
- Holt, Fabian (2007) Genre in Popular Music. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Negus, Keith (1999) Music Genres and Corporate Cultures. London and New York: Routledge.