This is a list of cities, towns, villages, and hamlets on Long Island.
Map of Long Island showing county and municipal boundaries.
In New York State, each county is divided into cities and towns. Every point in New York is inside either a city or a town. Additionally, towns may optionally contain villages, which are smaller incorporated municipalities within the town. Villages may overlap multiple towns. Well-known unincorporated places within towns are referred to as hamlets.
A town or city is the major subdivision of each county. Towns provide or arrange for most municipal services for residents of hamlets and selected services for residents of villages. All residents of New York who do not live in a city or on an Indian reservation live in a town.
A village is an incorporated area which is usually, but not always, within a single town. A village is a clearly defined municipality that provides the services closest to the residents, such as garbage collection, street and highway maintenance, street lighting and building codes. Some villages provide their own police and other optional services. A hamlet is a populated area within a town that is not part of a village. The term "hamlet" is not defined under New York law (unlike cities, towns and villages), but is often used in the state's statutes to refer to well-known populated sections of towns that are not incorporated as villages.
Brooklyn and Queens
Brooklyn and Queens are part of the City of New York.
City of Glen Cove
City of Long Beach
Town of Hempstead
The Town of Hempstead contains 22 villages and 35 hamlets:
- Villages: Atlantic Beach, Bellerose, Cedarhurst, East Rockaway, Freeport, Garden City, Hempstead (village), Hewlett Bay Park, Hewlett Harbor, Hewlett Neck, Island Park, Lawrence, Lynbrook, Malverne, Rockville Centre, South Floral Park, Stewart Manor, Valley Stream, Woodsburgh
- Hamlets: Baldwin, Baldwin Harbor, Barnum Island, Bay Park, Bellerose Terrace, Bellmore, East Atlantic Beach, East Garden City, East Meadow, Elmont, Franklin Square, Garden City South, Harbor Isle, Hewlett, Inwood, Lakeview, Levittown, Lido Beach, Malverne Park Oaks, Merrick, North Bellmore, North Lynbrook, North Merrick, North Valley Stream, North Wantagh, North Woodmere, Oceanside, Point Lookout, Roosevelt, Salisbury, Seaford, South Hempstead, South Valley Stream, Uniondale, Wantagh, West Hempstead, Woodmere
- Villages located partly in the Town of North Hempstead: Floral Park, Garden City (almost all in Hempstead), Mineola (almost all in North Hempstead), New Hyde Park
Town of North Hempstead
The Town of North Hempstead contains 31 villages.
- Villages: Baxter Estates, East Williston, Flower Hill, Great Neck, Great Neck Estates, Great Neck Plaza, Kensington, Kings Point, Lake Success, Manorhaven, Munsey Park, North Hills, Plandome, Plandome Heights, Plandome Manor, Port Washington North, Roslyn, Roslyn Estates, Russell Gardens, Saddle Rock, Sands Point, Thomaston, Westbury, Williston Park
- Hamlets: Albertson, Carle Place, Garden City Park, Glenwood Landing, Great Neck Gardens, Greenvale, Harbor Hills, Herricks, Manhasset, Manhasset Hills, New Cassel, North New Hyde Park, Port Washington, Roslyn Heights, Saddle Rock Estates, Searingtown, University Gardens
- Villages located partly in the Town of Hempstead: Floral Park, Garden City (almost all in Hempstead), Mineola (almost all in North Hempstead), New Hyde Park
- Villages located partly in the Town of Oyster Bay: East Hills, Old Westbury, Roslyn Harbor Sea Cliff Historic hamlet sea cliff
Town of Oyster Bay
The Town of Oyster Bay contains 18 villages and 18 hamlets:
- Villages: Bayville, Brookville, Centre Island, Cove Neck, Farmingdale, Lattingtown, Laurel Hollow, Massapequa Park, Matinecock, Mill Neck, Muttontown, Old Brookville, Oyster Bay Cove, Sea Cliff, Upper Brookville
- Hamlets: Bethpage, East Massapequa, East Norwich, Glen Head, Glenwood Landing (part), Greenvale (part), Hicksville, Jericho, Locust Valley, Massapequa, North Massapequa, Old Bethpage, Oyster Bay, Plainedge, Plainview, South Farmingdale, Syosset, Woodbury, Sea Cliff Historic Hamlet
- Villages located partly in the Town of North Hempstead: East Hills, Old Westbury, Roslyn Harbor
The U.S. Postal Service has organized these 36 places into 20 different post offices with a total of 30 different 5-digit ZIP codes. Some post offices have the same name as a hamlet or village, but the boundaries are seldom the same.
Town of Babylon
- Villages: Amityville, Babylon, Lindenhurst
- Hamlets: Copiague, Deer Park, East Farmingdale, Gilgo, North Amityville, North Babylon, North Lindenhurst, Oak Beach & Captree, West Babylon, Wheatley Heights, Wyandanch
- Other communities: Copiague Harbor
Town of Huntington
- Villages: Asharoken, Huntington Bay, Lloyd Harbor, Northport
- Hamlets: Centerport, Cold Spring Harbor, Dix Hills, East Northport, Eatons Neck, Elwood, Greenlawn, Halesite, Huntington, Huntington Station, Melville, South Huntington, Vernon Valley, West Hills, Wincoma
- Hamlets located partly in the Town of Smithtown: Commack, Fort Salonga
Town of Islip
- Villages: Brightwaters, Islandia, Ocean Beach, Saltaire
- Hamlets: Bay Shore, Bayport, Baywood, Bohemia, Brentwood, Central Islip, East Islip, Great River, Islip, Islip Terrace, North Bay Shore, North Great River, Oakdale, Ronkonkoma, Sayville, West Bay Shore, West Islip, West Sayville
- Hamlets located partly in the Town of Brookhaven: Holbrook, Holtsville
- Hamlet located partly in the Town of Smithtown: Hauppauge
Town of Smithtown
Town of Brookhaven
- Villages: Belle Terre, Bellport, Lake Grove, Old Field, Patchogue, Poquott, Port Jefferson, Shoreham
- Hamlets: Blue Point, Brookhaven, Canaan Lake, Center Moriches, Centereach, Cherry Grove, Coram, Crystal Brook, Cupsogue Beach, Davis Park, East Moriches, East Patchogue, East Setauket, East Shoreham, Farmingville, Fire Island Pines, Gordon Heights, Hagerman, Manorville, Mastic, Mastic Beach, Medford, Middle Island, Miller Place, Moriches, Mount Sinai, North Bellport, North Patchogue, Ocean Bay Park, Point of Woods, Port Jefferson Station, Ridge, Rocky Point, Selden, Setauket, Shirley, South Haven, Sound Beach, Stony Brook, Strongs Neck, Terryville, Upton, Water Island, West Manor, Yaphank
- Hamlets located partly in the Town of Islip: Holbrook, Holtsville, Ronkonkoma
- Hamlet located partly in the Town of Riverhead: Calverton
- Hamlet located partly in the Town of Smithtown: Lake Ronkonkoma
- Hamlet located partly in the Town of Southampton: Eastport
- Village located partly in the Town of Smithtown: Lake Grove
Town of Southampton
- Villages: North Haven, Quogue, Sagaponack, Southampton (village), Westhampton Beach, West Hampton Dunes
- Village located partly in the Town of East Hampton: Sag Harbor
- Hamlets: Bridgehampton, East Quogue, Flanders, Hampton Bays, Northampton, North Sea, Noyack (Noyac), Quiogue, Remsenburg, Riverside, Shinnecock Hills, Speonk, Tuckahoe, Water Mill (Watermill), Westhampton
- Hamlet located partly in the Town of Brookhaven: Eastport
Town of Riverhead
Town of East Hampton
Town of Shelter Island
Town of Southold
Fire Island National Seashore Map
Fire Island is not a separate town, but its villages are listed here due to its geographical isolation.
- Villages in the Town of Islip: Ocean Beach, Saltaire
- Hamlets in the Town of Brookhaven: Cherry Grove (a.k.a. Fire Island), Fire Island Pines.
- Other communities: Atlantique, Bayberry Dunes, Corneille Estates, Davis Park, Dunewood, Fair Harbor, Kismet, Lonelyville, Long Cove, Ocean Bay Park, Point o' Woods, Robbins Rest, Seaview, Watch Hill, Water Island, West Fire Island