Partial list of Maratha dynasties and Maratha princely states.
Maratha (Hindu) dynasties and clans were spread across present Maharashtra and other Indian states. Some of the major clans and their respective places of origin were:
Historical Maratha Clans and Princely States outside today's Maharashtra
|Ruler/s||Area/s ruled outside the present day Maharashtra||Present State|
|Bhonsle||Thanjavur State||Tamil Nadu|
|Puars (Powars or Pawars)||* Dewas State
* Dhar State
* Chhatarpur State
|Shinde or Scindia||Gwalior State||Madhya Pradesh|
Maratha Princely States
The Marathas ruled much of India in the period immediately preceding the consolidation of British rule in India. The Maratha states came to form the largest bloc of princely states in the British Raj, in terms of territory and population.
The list of the historical Maratha Princely States within the present day Maharashtra is given herein below.
Ruler/s Area/s ruled within the present day Maharashtra. Bhoite - Satara, Kolhapur, Jalgaon.
Bhonsle - Kolhapur, Satara, Nagpur, Akkalkot, Sawantwadi, Venegaon, Barshi,
Mungi, Nannaj, shelgaon(R).
Dhamale - Mulshi, Maval, Pune.
Dhumal - Veer, Pasure, Jogawadi, Bramhanghar (Pune).
Dubal/Deshmukh - Karad, Nimsod.
Gavhane - Ahemadnagar, Beed.
Gaekwad(Gaikwad) - Kaulane, Malegaon, Nashik, Kille-Dharur, Beed, Kondhapuri, Kolwadi, shelgaon(R), Janapur in Bidar Dist. Karanatak.
Ghatge (or Ghadge) - Lalgun, Malavadi, Mol, Budh, kumathe, Diskal, Rajapur, Satara, Kagal, Kolhapur.
Ghorpade - Venegaon (Satara), Kapshi (Senapati), Kolhapur.
Jagadale - Masur, Dangirewadi, Budh, Bidal.
Jagtap - Saswad (Pune) & Satara.
Jathar - isapur (Ahmednagar).
Jedhe - Kari.
Kadam - Pune, Satara and Sangli.
Kakade - Pune, Baramati, Yawali (Barshi), Theur.
Kale-Deshmukh - Satara, Rashin.
Kanade - Verul (Aurangabad), Ahmednagar.
Mahadik - Satara, Nagpur, Kolhapur.
Mane - Mhasawad, Rahimatpur, Visapur, Tasgaon, khujgaon, savarde.
Mohite - Talbid, Koriwale, Shel-Pimpalgaon.
More - Jawali.
Nalawade - Pune, Satara and Sangli.
Nehe - Nashik, Pune.
Nikam - Malegaon-Nashik.
Nimbalkar - Phaltan.
Patne - Wai, Satara and Sangli.
Pol - Tisangi, Savlag (Sangli). Salokhe - Tandulwadi, Sangali.
Sawant - Kudal, Sawantwadi.
Shinde or (Scindia) - Satara.
Shitole - Ankali.
Talokar - Amravati, Akola.
Taur - 22 & half villages on the bank of river of "Godavari" in Jalna,Beed.
Thorat - Walwa, Sangamner, Daund, Walki.
Yadava-Deshmukh - Aundh, Kadepur.
Yadava-Patil - Yelavi, Sangli and Kolhapur.
Yadavas/Jadhavs of Deogiri - Daulatabad, Sangli and Kolhapur, Sindkhed Raja, Koregaon, Mul- Uruli Kanchan, Vidarbha region, Nashik, Osmanabad, and Satara.
Zende - Saswad, Pune.
Padwal - Pune, Satara, Kolhapur.
Rege (Sarmandal) - Nemawar, Handia and Indore and Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh and Nechad in Maharashtra.
The Maratha Salute states, by precedence :
- Baroda, title Maharaja Gaekwar, Hereditary salute of 21-guns
- Gwalior, title Maharaja Scindia, Hereditary salute of 21-guns
- Indore (Holkar State), title Maharaja Holkar, Hereditary salutes of 19-guns (21-guns local)
- Kolhapur, title Maharaja, Hereditary salute of 19-guns
- (Suryawanshi), title Maharaja, Capital Kantak Tirth, Hereditary salute of 19-guns
- Dewas State Senior, title Maharaja, Hereditary salute of 15-guns
- Dewas State Junior, title Maharaja, Hereditary salute of 15-guns
- Dhar State, title Maharaja, Hereditary salute of 15-guns
- Bhor, title Raja, Hereditary salute of 9-guns
- Savantwadi (Sawantwadi), title Raja, Hereditary salute of 9-guns (11-guns local)
- Mudhol State, title Raja, Hereditary salute of 9-guns
Minor and petty Maratha states, alphabetically :
- Kolaba State established by the Angria, split from Satara; c.1698 - 1818 Tributary of the Peshwa
- Kurundvad Junior
- Kurundwad Senior
- Miraj Junior
- Miraj Senior
- Sandur in Bellary District of Karnataka
- Satara State - Abolished in 1848 by the East India Company 
- Shirol State
- Shringarpur State
Feudatory minor and petty Maratha estates, alphabetically :
- Bhoite (a saranjam; capital Jalgaon)
- Suryawanshi (Katekar Deshmukh Vatsa-Gulma i.e. Present Washim District)