Since 1947, the Canadian Armed Forces have completed 72 international missions. More than 3,600 soldiers, sailors and Air Force personnel are deployed overseas on operational missions. On any given day, about 8,000 Canadian Armed Forces members Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy, and Canadian Army (one-third of the Canadian deployable force) are preparing for, engaged in or are returning from an overseas mission.
Below is a list of all currently active and past Canadian Armed Forces operations both within Canada's borders and internationally.
Current and recurring operations
This section consists of Canadian Forces operations which are currently active, or conducted annually or on a periodic basis.
- Operation Caribbe – Multinational campaign against illicit trafficking by transnational organized crime in the Caribbean basin and the eastern Pacific Ocean.
- Operation Driftnet – In support of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. Multinational efforts to control driftnetting and other forms of illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing in the North Pacific Ocean.
- Operation Lentus – Contingency plan that outlines the joint response to provide support for Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response (HADR) to provincial and territorial authorities in the case of a major natural disaster that overwhelms their capacity to respond.
- Operation Limpid – Routine domestic surveillance of Canadian air, maritime, land, space, and cyber domains as well as presence in Canada's aerial, maritime and land approaches in order to detect, deter, prevent, pre-empt and defeat threats aimed at Canada or Canadian interests.
- Operation Nanook – To assert Canada's sovereignty over its northernmost regions, to enhance the Canadian Armed Forces' ability to operate in Arctic conditions, to improve coordination in whole-of-government operations, and to maintain interoperability with mission partners for maximum effectiveness in response to safety and security issues in the North.
- Operation Nevus – To perform essential preventive and corrective maintenance on the High Arctic Data Communications System (HADCS) located on Ellesmere Island.
- Operation Nunalivut – To assert Canada's sovereignty over its northernmost regions, to demonstrate the ability to operate in the harsh winter environment in remote areas of the High Arctic, and to enhance its capability to respond to any situation in the Canada's North.
- Operation Nunakput – To assert Canada's sovereignty over its northernmost regions, to enhance the Canadian Armed Forces' ability to operate in Arctic conditions, to improve coordination and cooperation in whole-of-government operations, and to maintain interoperability with mission partners for maximum effectiveness in response to safety and security issues in the North.
- Operation Palaci – Contribution to Parks Canada's avalanche-control program in Rogers Pass. To prevent uncontrolled, naturally occurring avalanches, and thus prevent blockage of the essential road and rail links between coastal British Columbia and the rest of Canada.
- Operation Sabot – Marijuana-eradication program conducted annually with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- Operation Crocodile – Military contribution to the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Operation Saturn – To serve with UNAMID, the hybrid operation by the African Union (A.U.) and the United Nations in Darfur.
- Operation Soprano – Participation in the United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS), the military component of a "whole-of-government" engagement in South Sudan that also includes the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- Operation Sirona – Military component of the Canadian whole-of-government contribution to fighting the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) personnel will augment efforts undertaken by the United Kingdom to combat the spread of the Ebola virus disease (EVD) in Sierra Leone.
- Operation Jade – Contribution to the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) in the Middle East
- Operation Gladius – Latest stage of Canada's long-standing participation in the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) on the Golan Heights between Israel and Syria.
- Operation Calumet – Canada's participation in the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO), an independent peacekeeping operation in the Sinai Peninsula.
- Operation Metric – Periodic participation in international efforts to enhance security in the eastern Mediterranean region, specifically the Middle East and North Africa.
- Operation Proteus – Canada's contribution to the Office of the United States Security Coordinator (USSC) in Jerusalem.
- Operation Foundation – Contribution of headquarters and liaison staff to United States Central Command (USCENTCOM) to support operations in its area of responsibility, which extends from Egypt to Pakistan and includes the Middle East and southwest Asia. Supports Canada's efforts in the Middle East and southwest Asia, and promotes Canadian values through regular presence and exchange with military allies, foreign armed forces, and governments in the USCENTCOM area of responsibility.
- Operation Kobold – Deployment to Pristina, Kosovo, to serve with the NATO-led Kosovo Force (KFOR).
- Operation Ignition – Periodic participation in the NATO – Airborne Surveillance and Interception Capabilities to Meet Iceland's Peacetime Preparedness Needs mission. This is an operation conducted to monitor Iceland's airspace and enforce security if required. Contributes to the security of Canadian airspace by monitoring and controlling air traffic in the northeastern approaches to North America.
- Operation Reassurance – Deployment in Central and Eastern Europe as part of NATO reassurance measures.
- Operation Snowgoose – Contribution to the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP).
- Operation Unifier – Contribution to support Ukrainian forces through capacity building, in coordination with the U.S. and other countries providing similar training assistance.
This section consists of Canadian Forces operations that are no longer active or on-going on an annual or periodic basis and are deemed complete.
This section covers past Canadian Forces operations that took place beyond Canada's borders. It includes peacekeeping operations as well as those through NATO and in participation with other allies.
Americas and Caribbean
Europe, Balkans and Mediterranean
Southwest Asia and Middle East