This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.

Khipro

Khipro
Khipro is located in Pakistan
Khipro
Khipro
Coordinates: 25°30′N 69°13′E / 25.50°N 69.22°E / 25.50; 69.22
Country Pakistan
ProvinceSindh
Elevation
28 m (92 ft)
Time zoneUTC+5 (PST)
Calling code235

Khipro (Urdu: کھپرو, Sindhi :کپرو ) is a taluka, or a subdivision of a district, of the Sanghar District in Sindh, Pakistan.

It is located about 581 mi (or 935 km) South of Islamabad, the country's capital. It is the largest taluka in Pakistan. It is bounded to the east by India. The district capital, Sanghar, is a small city roughly 35 miles east–southeast of the city of Nawabshah and the same distance north of Mirpur Khas.

History

No clear reference describes the origin of the word Khipro.

Some are of the opinion that one Khipar, a popular personality, was residing in this area and gave his name to the village. Others say the name is derived from the name of a lady Khipri. Still others believe the name of Khipro is derived from the name of a desert plant, Khip.

Another story says that the word "Khipro" is derived from the word "Khopra" (a kind of coconut). It is said that this city is situated on land that was full of cocoa trees. Older people say the name "Khipro" is from the name "Khiper", the name of a group of fisherman.[citation needed] It is an old city with many pre-British buildings.

Transport

Four airports are in the area of Khipro. The nearest is Sindhri Tharparkar Airport (IATA: MPD) 21 mi (34.5 km) southwest of Khipro city centre.

Education

The taluka hosts public and private schools and academies.

Geography

Khipro is the biggest taluka of District Sanghar. It consists of 1,300,776 acres (526,405 ha) acres of which 1,109,129 are desert, 11,475 forest and 191,647 agriculture.

Economy

Its primary industry is agriculture. Cotton, sugar cane, and chillies are major crops.

Demographics

According to the 1998 census, the district had a population of 1,453,028, of which 22.13% were located in urban areas.

Culture

The majority of the population are followers of Pir Sibghatulla Shah Rashidi, or Pir Pagara, Makhdoom of Hala, and Pir of Multan. Followers of Pir Sibghtullah Shah fought the British government in Sindh. That group was the first in Sindh fighting for freedom following the order of their spiritual leader. Khipro is also known for as a hub of freedom fighters.

The city is a mix of Hindu and Muslim communities where 70 percent of the peoples are Muslim and the remaining 30 percent are Hindu and Christian.In the Muslims most of the peoples belongs to Kaimkhani, Jatt, Bozdar, Laghari, Rajar, Khaskheli, Hingorjo, Junejo communities and in Hindus most of the peoples belongs to Lohana, Khatri, Malhi, Bhil, Kolhi, Guriro, Oad Rajput and Kachhi communities.

See also

References

Complete History of Taluka Khipro by Muhammad Ali Bozdar