Ismailia Governorate on the map of Egypt
|• Governor||Ahmed Bahaa El-Din Al-Qassas|
|• Total||1,442 km2 (557 sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
Ismailia Governorate (Egyptian Arabic: محافظة الإسماعيلية Muḥāfẓet El Ismāʿīliya, IPA: [moˈħɑfzˤet elʔesmæʕeˈlejjæ]) is one of the Canal Zone governorates of Egypt. Located in the northeastern part of the country, its capital is the city of Ismailia. It was named after Ismail Pasha, who as Ottoman Viceroy of Egypt, oversaw the country during the building of the Suez Canal. It is located between the other two Canal governorates; Port Said Governorate, in the Northern part of Egypt and Suez Governorate.
|1966–2006, 2015 is an estimate|
2015 population estimated figures for Ismailia Governorate were 45.4% urban and 1,178,641 people: 643.778 in rural areas, and 534.863 in urban areas.
Annual film festival
Hashim El Nahas founded the Ismailia International Film Festival for Documentaries and Shorts and originally considered establishing it in Luxor. Instead this festival has been celebrating its annual events in Ismailia Governorate. It is sponsored by the Ministry of Culture, Ismailia Governorate, The National Cinema Center and other sponsors.
Conflicts and wars
From 1967 to 1970, Ismailia became a war zone and was damaged in the conflict with Israel. Many battles were fought, in and around Ismailia, including at the end of the conflict in the Battle of Ismailia  and the area was able to begin rebuilding after a cease-fire was negotiated between Egypt and Israel in 1973.
Fishing landing sites
UN sustainable programme
After a successful SIP (Sustainable Ismailia Programme) from 1992-1997, the United Nations expanded the project to include the entire Governorate of Ismailia calling it SGIP (Sustainable Ismailia Governorate Programme). Its goal is to work with local partners to improve the communities in Ismailia.
- "Mansour appoints 20 new governors". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Population Estimates by Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CASMAS. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Ismail-Pasha". Britannica. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Al-Ismailiyyah". Britannica. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Ismailia Population, 1966–2006". Statoids. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "List of Cities in Each Gobernorate". Ask Aladdin. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Ismailia International Film Festival For Documentaries and Shorts". Ismailia FilmFestival. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- Merriam Webster's Geographical Dictionary (3rd ed.). 1997. p. 535. ISBN 0-87779-546-0.
- "Suez Canal". Suez Canal Government of Egypt.
- Dunstan, Simon. The Yom Kippur War 1973 (2): The Sinai. Bloomsbury Publishing. p. 9.
- Tucker, Spencer C. (2015). Wars That Changed History: 50 of the World's Greatest Conflicts. ABC-CLIO. p. 549. ISBN 9781610697866.
- Potholm, Christian P. (2016). Understanding War: An Annotated Bibliography. UPA. p. 584. ISBN 9780761867746.
- "Fishery and Aquaculture Country Profiles The Arab Republic of Egypt". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- "Information on Fisheries Management in the Arab Republic of Egypt". FOA. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- Sustainable Cities Programme 1990-2000: A Decade of United Nations Support for Broad-based Participatory Management of Urban Development. UN. 2002. p. 30.
- "Ismailia – Egypt's Garden City", Community Times Magazine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ismailia Governorate.|
- Official Ismailia Governorate
- Ismailia Governorate - Tourism
- Tour Egypt, Ismailia Governorate Sites
- Supreme Council of Antiquities, Ismailia Museum