This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.
Ian Maddieson is an professor emeritus of linguistics at the University of New Mexico and who was previously at the University of California, Berkeley.
He was Vice-President of the International Phonetic Association and Secretary of the Association for Laboratory Phonology.
- Ladefoged, Peter; Maddieson, Ian (1996). The Sounds of the World's Languages. Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 978-0-631-19815-4.
- Based on data from about 400 languages, the book describes the known contrasting phonetic categories, the ways in which the phonemic sounds may differ in human languages.
- Maddieson, Ian, Patterns of Sounds,
- Cambridge University Press, 1984, ISBN 0-521-26536-3
- Cambridge University Press, 2009, ISBN 0-521-11326-1
- The book analyzes the frequencies and distributions of the phonemic sounds among languages. The results are based on UPSID (the UCLA Phonological Segment Inventory Database).