October 17, 1936 |
||M. S. (Geophysics), Tokyo University, 1961
Ph.D. (Geophysics), Tokyo University, 1964
||Moment magnitude scale
||Kyoto Prize (2007)
||Research Associate, Geophysics Institute, Tokyo University, 1962–65
Research Fellow, California Institute of Technology, 1965–66
Professor, Earthquake Research Institute, Tokyo University, 1966–72
Professor, California Institute of Technology, 1972-05
Hiroo Kanamori (金森 博雄 Kanamori Hiroo, born October 17, 1936) is a Japanese seismologist who has made fundamental contributions to understanding the physics of earthquakes and the tectonic processes that cause them.
Kanamori and American seismologist Thomas C. Hanks developed the moment magnitude scale which replaced the Richter magnitude scale as a measurement of the relative strength of earthquakes.
Kanamori invented the method for calculating slip distribution on the fault plane by teleseismic waveform with Masayuki Kikuchi. In addition, they studied realtime seismology.
In 2007 he was awarded the Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences.
Kanamori developed a new method of earthquake early warning detection by rapid analysis of the P-wave by a robust network. The algorithm is currently being tested with the Southern California Seismic Network "ShakeAlert" Earthquake Early Warning (EEW) system, and is one of three algorithms that is used by the system.
- Kanamori, H. (1977). "The energy release in great earthquakes" (PDF). J. Geophys. Res. 82 (20): 2981–2987. Bibcode:1977JGR....82.2981K. doi:10.1029/JB082i020p02981.
- S. Uyeda; H. Kanamori (1979). "Back-arc opening and the mode of subduction" (PDF). Journal of Geophysical Research. 84: 1049–1061. Bibcode:1979JGR....84.1049U. doi:10.1029/JB084iB03p01049. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-14.
- Hanks, Thomas C.; Kanamori, Hiroo (May 1979). "Moment magnitude scale" (PDF). Journal of Geophysical Research. 84 (B5): 2348–2350. Bibcode:1979JGR....84.2348H. doi:10.1029/JB084iB05p02348.
- L. Ruff; H. Kanamori (1980). "Seismicity and the subduction process" (PDF). Phys. Earth Planet. Inter. 23 (3): 240–252. Bibcode:1980PEPI...23..240R. doi:10.1016/0031-9201(80)90117-X. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-07-23.
- Kikuchi, M.; Kanamori, H. (1982). "Inversion of complex body waves" (PDF). Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 72: 491–506. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-07-23.
- Vassiliou, Marius; Kanamori, Hiroo (1982). "The Energy Release in Earthquakes" (PDF). Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. 72: 371–387. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-07-23.
- Kanamori, H.; Hauksson, E.; Heaton, T. (1997). "Real-time seismology and earthquake hazard mitigation" (PDF). Nature. 390 (6659): 461–464. Bibcode:1997Natur.390..461K. doi:10.1038/37280. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-14.
- Allen, R.M.; H. Kanamori (2001). "Rapid determination of event source parameters in southern California for earthquake early warning". AGU 2001 fall meeting.
- Allen RM, Kanamori H (2 May 2003). "The potential for earthquake early warning in southern California" (PDF). Science. 300 (5620): 786–9. Bibcode:2003Sci...300..786A. doi:10.1126/science.1080912. PMID 12730599. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 June 2010.
- Zollo A, Amoroso O, Lancieri M, Wu Y, Kanamori H (24 July 2010). "A threshold-based earthquake early warning using dense accelerometer networks" (PDF). Geophysics Journal International. 183: 963–974. Bibcode:2010GeoJI.183..963Z. doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2010.04765.x. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 July 2011.
- ^ Kanamori, H., (1977)
- ^ Utsu, T., 2001, The Seismology 3rd edition: Kyoritsu, p.138
- ^ Kikuchi, M., and Kanamori, H. (1982)
- ^ Allen RM, Kanamori H. (2003)
- ^ Allen, R.M. and H. Kanamori (2001)
- ^ Allen, Richard (2004). "Rapid magnitude determination for earthquake early warning". In G. Manfredi; M.R. Pecce; A. Zollo. The Many Facets of Seismic Risk (PDF). Proceedings of the "Workshop on Multidisciplinary Approach to Seismic Risk Problems", hold in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, September 22, 2003. pp. 15–24.
- ^ Hiroo Kanamori, Kyoto Laureate Archived 2009-10-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2011-12-07.