|Owned by||Independent Media Corporation|
|Picture format||4:3 (576i, SDTV)|
0.06% (September 2015 , BARB)
Har pal geo"
|AsiaSat3S (Asia)||4180 Vtp 14V|
|World TV Europe (Europe)||Channel 14|
|Nayatel HD box (Pakistan)||116|
|beIN (Middle East
& North Africa)
|Sky (UK, Ireland)||Channel 807|
|Aora TV (Indonesia)||Channel 832|
|Indovision (Indonesia)||Channel 340|
|TrueVisions (Thailand)||Channel 871|
|Rogers Cable (Canada)||Channel 858|
|E vision (UAE)||Channel 65|
|World On Demand (Japan)||Channel 166|
|PTCL Smart (Pakistan)||Channel 19|
|Freebox TV (France)||Channel 601|
|Neufbox TV (France)||Channel 134|
Geo TV (trademarked GEO TV) or Geo Television is a Pakistani television channel established in May 2002 and owned by the Independent Media Corporation. The channel began test transmission on 14 August 2002, with regular transmission beginning 1 October 2002. It was later renamed Geo Entertainment. Geo is an Urdu word meaning Live.
Geo Television Network
Geo Television Network began with Geo TV and has since launched several other Pakistan-based channels, including:
- Geo Entertainment
- GEO News - an Urdu news channel.
- GEO Tez - Pakistan 1st headlines news channel.
- GEO Super - a 24-hour sports channel devoted mainly to cricket, with a secondary focus on boxing, football, tennis and field hockey.
- GEO Kahani Urdu Entertainment Channel.
In addition, until 2008, the network also operated an English language station called GEO English.
Geo Dost (meaning Geo Friends) is a Geo TV portal that offers ordinary citizens the chance to report the news, whether it be funny or serious.
Geo Network has released several movies under the Geo Films banner, including:
|Khuda Kay Liye||2008|
|Dil Mera Dharkan Teri||2013|
|Zindagi Kitni Haseen Hay||2016|
|Mein Hamza Mashkoor||TBA|
Geo TV's broadcast facilities are based at Dubai Media City in the United Arab Emirates. Its uplink teleport station is Samacom, the uplink provider in the UAE. Geo TV is currently being aired on Paksat 1R.
- A documentary by Geo covering water scarcity in the Indus river delta won "The Special Prize of H.S.H. Prince Rainier III" at the Monte Carlo TV Festival.
- Geo was awarded a special award in 2005 at the Nouticaslo TV festival.
- On 20 April 2004 at the National Association of Broadcasters Convention in Las Vegas, Mir Ibrahim Rahman, chief executive of Geo TV, received an International Broadcast Excellence Award for the impact the channel has had on Pakistan.
Masala Lifestyle Awards
According to Declan Walsh, some militant outfits including Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Muttahida Qaumi Movement's alleged militant wing have infiltrated the Geo group, that helped them in executing murder of Wali Khan Babar and attack on Pakistan Navy's aviation base in 2011.
In May 2014, Geo TV was banned by PEMRA for airing blasphemous content on Geo Entertainment in its morning show Utho Jago Pakistan. Protest was also done in Lahore as people said it is an unlawful ban. While on other hand countrywide protest was done against Geo for airing controversial content.
- "Geo - company profile" (PDF). Super Brands. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Geo - corp[orate profile". Geo Television Network. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "About Geo Entertainment". Geo Television Network. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "About us - Geo Entertainment". Geo Entertainment. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "About Geo News". Geo Television Network. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Geo News - corporate profile". Geo News. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Exclusivity of GEO". Geo Television Network. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Masala Lifestyle Awards - Winners". Masala. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Walsh, Declan (26 April 2014). "Attack on Journalist Starts Battle in Pakistani Press". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "PEMRA serves notice on Geo for controversial content". Daily Times. 16 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Humaima (16 May 2014). "Another Show Cause Notice for GEO TV for Airing Blasphemous Content". Pakistan Tribune. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Mohammad Ashraf (16 May 2014). "Pakistan's Geo TV under fire for 'blasphemy'". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Demos held against Geo TV". The News. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Protests against unlawful ban on Geo TV go on". The News. 29 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Countrywide protests against Geo for airing 'blasphemous' content". Daily Times. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Ahmad Naveed (17 May 2014). "Massive Protests against Geo TV for Airing Blasphemous Content". Pakistan Tribune. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Countrywide protests against Geo". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 31 May 2014.