Gazipur (Bengali: গাজীপুর) is a city in central Bangladesh. It is located in the Gazipur District, near the capital city of Dhaka and has a population of 3,20,9,215. Gazipur is the home of Dhaka University of Engineering & Technology and Islamic University of Technology (IUT), the country's only international university in the fields of engineering and technology, is run and funded by OIC.
Population by year:
Gazipur District (Dhaka division), with an area of 1741.53 km², is bounded by Mymensingh and Kishoreganj districts on the north, Dhaka, Narayanganj and Narsingdi districts on the south, Narsingdi on the east, and Dhaka and Tangail districts on the west. The annual average temperature maximum is 36 °C and the minimum is 12.7 °C; the annual rainfall is 2,376 mm.
Main rivers are old Brahmaputra, Shitalakshya, Turag (sight of Bishwa Ijtema, a Tablighi Jamaat conference in January), Bangshi, Balu, Banar. Turag is heavily polluted by industrial chemicals.
Gazipur consists of 9 wards including Uttar Chayabithi and 31 mahallas with an area of 49.32 km². The fast-growing town has a population more than 1 million and density more than 24,000 per km²; male 52.52%, female 47.48%.
There is a head office of the national bank Progoti Co-operative Land Development Bank Limited in Kapasia Upazila Sadar, a small town nearly 30 kilometres north of Gazipur City, that specialises in originating and/or servicing mortgage loans; it is said that Progoti Bank is the father of land development banks in the country. Other banking institutions in the area include:
- Gazipur Tribune (local)
- gazipur24 (local)
- Gazipur Times (local)
- Gazipur Press (local)
- Kapasia, Gazipur (local)
Gazipur Town is connected through the City Bus.Pubail have city service Mohakhali to Narshingdi; called PPL(Pubail Paribahan Ltd.). And Dhaka to Kaligonj; this name is KTL, Adshy and other bus.
Major sites and establishments
Gazipur Public Library
There are five universities in Gazipur – Islamic University of Technology, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (formerly the Institute of Postgraduate Studies on Agriculture), Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh Open University and Bangladesh National University. Islamic University of Technology (IUT) is accredited as an International University by University Grants Commission (Bangladesh). IUT is a subsidiary organ of OIC. Educational institutions in the area include:
- Rani Bilashmoni Govt. Boys' High School
- Abir Biddanikaton, Pubail, Gazipur
- Ideal Pre Cadet School Gazipur, Barobika, Chandona, Gazipur
- M A Aziz Peace Institute of Technology, (Peaceful Technology for the Solution of Humanity),BTEB-53084,West Chatter, Gazipur-1703, Bangladesh
- Tapir Bari High School [Sreepur,Gazipur]
- Azmatpur Adarsha School & College, Kaliganj
- Jangalia High School
- Berua A R Khan High School
- St. Nicolas High School, Nagori, Kaligonj
- Bhawal Badre Alam Govt. College
- Kazi Azim Uddin College
- Pubail Adarsha College
- Vadun High School.
- V.S.A.J Ansar V.D.P School And College, Shafipur, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- kapasia pailot high School,kapasia
- Union high School,Hailgor,Kapsia
- Mouchak Scout High School, Mouchak, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- (Sreefaltali Govt. Primary School, kaliakoir, Gazipur)
- Kaliakair university, kaliakair, Gazipur.
- West Chandana Govt. Primary School
- Chandana High School
- Banshtali Govt. Primary School
- Golamnobi Pilote High School
- Barmi Bazar High School
- Barmi Jamia Anwaria Madrasa, Biggest Kowmi Madrasa in Gazipur
- Pubail High School
- KIDS PARK SCHOOL, Pubail, Gazipur
- Barai Bari A K U Institution & College, Kaliakoir
- Gazipur Cantonment College
- Kalpar Pollimangul High School,Kaliakoir
- Shafiuddin Sarker Academy and College
- Tongi Pilot School and Girls College
- Kamarjury Yousuf Ali High School, Kamarjury, Gasha
- Kalmeswer Rokeya Soroni Girl's High School, Board Bazar
- Khandakar Rojob Ali Biddiya Niketon, Board Bazar, Gazipur
- Gasha High School, Gasha.
- Badsha Mia High School
- Tongi govt. college
- M. E. H. Arif College, Konabari, Gazipur
- Konabari Ideal Pre Cadet School, Konabari, Gazipur
- Khailkor Badshah Miah Agranaye Biddalaya, Gazipur
- Ta'mirul Millat Kamil Madrasha (Tongi Campus)
- Telihaty High School
- Empo Angels School
- Rangamatia High School, Kaligonj
- Sreepur University College
- Abdul Awal College
- Piar Ali college
- Sayma Model Academy
- Rover poly degree college
- Bhawal mirzapur degree college
- Baw para govt. primary school
- Abder bazar govt. primary school
- Mawna Chowrasta Public School & College
- Kapasia Degree college
- Bhasa Shahid Abdul Jabbar College and High School (formerly known as Ansar VDP High School)
- Rajendrapur cant. public school & college
- Jogirsit high school
- Satkhamair high school
- Gzzipur City Model School, Chandana Chawraste, Gazipur
- ARSI Multimedia School
- M.M.Neaz-Uddin High School
- Matrykole Pre-Cadet school
- Silmoon Abdul Hakim Master High school
- Pubail Muktilateral High school
- Kaligonj Shramik (Degree) College
- Kaligonj Women College
- Kaligonj RRN Pilot High School
- Kaligonj Govt. Girls High School
- Rangamatia Govt. Primary School, Kaligonj
- St. Merry's Girls High School, Tomilia, Kaligonj
- Holy Model School, Tengra, Sreepur, Gazipur
- Barai bari A K U Institution and College
- Abdul Roshid Member International School,Moradpur,Mowchak, Gazipur.
- Gazipur Saheed Academy,Chandona-Chowrasta, Gazipur.
- Seoratali Bhubaneswari Girl's High School,Kaliakoir,Gazipur.
- Konabari Degree College, Gazipur city Corporation.
- Tajuddin Ahmed – the first Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Meghnad Saha – scientist