Elena of Avalor is an American computer-animated adventure television series that premiered on Disney Channel on July 22, 2016. The series features Aimee Carrero as the voice of Elena, a young Latina princess.
Teen princess Elena Castillo Flores has saved her magical kingdom of Avalor from an evil sorceress and must now learn to rule as its crowned princess. Elena's adventures will lead her to understand that her new role requires thoughtfulness, resilience, and compassion, the traits of all truly great leaders. Since she is only 16 years old, she must follow the guidance of a Grand Council, composed of her grandparents, older cousin Chancellor Esteban, and a new friend, Naomi Turner. Elena also looks to her younger sister, Isabel, her friends, wizard Mateo, and Royal Guard lieutenant, Gabe, a spirit animal named Zuzo, and a trio of magical flying creatures called Jaquins for guidance and support.
- Princess Elena (Aimee Carrero) is the 16-year-old, later 17 year old, Crown Princess of Avalor. She has difficulty taking advice and often does things she wants to do without listening to others. When she was trapped inside a magical amulet, she gained the ability to use magic when holding her royal scepter and she can also see spirit animals.
- Princess Isabel (Jenna Ortega) is the younger sister of Elena who is also an inventor. Both are the daughters of the deceased King Raul and Queen Lucia.
- Zuzo (Keith Ferguson) is a mysterious and wily spirit fox that acts as a link between the human and spirit worlds. In "A Day to Remember", it is shown that Elena can call him by saying his name three times.
- Naomi (Jillian Rose Reed) is a girl who is Elena's best friend, the daughter of Captain Turner, and a member of Elena's Grand Council.
- Jaquins are a race of creatures that resemble jaguars with the wings and feathers of macaws. They come from the realm of Vallestrella where they train to help guard Avalor from various threats.
- Gabe (Jorge Diaz) is Elena's close friend and rising star of the Royal Guard, which he joined on the day that Elena became crown princess.
- Mateo (Joseph Haro) is a wizard-in-training and Alacazar's grandson who is another one of Elena's close friends.
- Chancellor Esteban (Christian Lanz) is Elena and Isabel's boastful maternal cousin and Chancellor of Avalor who is part of Elena's Grand Council. His mother was the sister of Queen Lucia and they were the daughters of Luisa and Francisco. Unaware to anyone, he and his old friend Victor Delgado secretly helped Shuriki invade Avalor and he desperately desires to keep this secret out of fear of being rejected by his family.
- Armando (Joe Nunez) is a frazzled castle servant who helps Elena on her journey to the throne.
- Francisco (Emiliano Díez) is Elena, Isabel, and Esteban's maternal grandfather. He is part of Elena's Grand Council.
- Luisa (Julia Vera) is Elena, Isabel, and Esteban's maternal grandmother. She is part of Elena's Grand Council.
- Captain Turner (Rich Sommer) is the harbor master and Naomi's father.
- Higgins (Mikey Kelley) is a member of Avalor's Royal Guard. he regularly serves as Chancellor Esteban's personal assistant and confidante.
- Doña Paloma (Constance Marie) is the magister of the trading guild, she is described by Esteban as the most important leader in Avalor. In "Navidad", it is revealed that Doña Paloma owns an emporium.
- Carmen (Justina Machado) is the co-owner of Cafe Angelica and the sister of Julio who works as a chef.
- Julio (Jamie Camil) is the co-owner of Cafe Angelica and the brother of Carmen.
- Jiku (Lucas Grabeel) is the leader of the small magical creatures called The Noblins, who are known to transform into dogs and turn anything into gold.
- Marlena (Gaby Moreno) is a singer and Mateo's family friend.
- Mingo, Zoom, and Estrella (Desmond Gerber, Maximus Riegel, and Gia Lopez) are the three baby Jaquins and Migs's children.
- King Joaquín (Echo Kellum) is the Ruler of the Kingdom of Cariza.
- Nico (Wilber Zaldivar) is Skylar's younger brother.
- Ciela and Avion (Jenna Lea Rosen and Lincoln Melcher) are young Jaquins and Nico’s friends.
- Chief Zephyr (Jess Harnell) is the leader of Avalor's Jaquin Clan.
- King Verago (André Sogliuzzo) is the King of all the Jaquins and the father of Skylar and Nico.
- Dulce (Rosie Perez) is Migs’s mate and the mother of Mingo, Zoom, and Estrella.
- Shuriki (Jane Fonda) is the evil sorceress who is the main villain of the series where she had been the cause of Elena's 41-year imprisonment in the Amulet of Avalor and the killer of Elena and Isabel's parents, King Raul and Queen Lucia. She took over Avalor with the secret help of Esteban and Victor Delgado. She was finally defeated in "Elena and the Secret of Avalor". Unfortunately, she had went into hiding in a cottage in distant Avaloran lands and has been secretly working with Victor and his daughter Carla, whom she has been teaching powerful magic to in exchange for their help in taking back the kingdom.
- Fiero (Héctor Elizondo) is a Malvago and an antagonist in the series. Long ago, Fiero was supposed to be the next Royal Wizard. However, the king appointed Alacazar instead, making Fiero angry. Fiero became an evil wizard looking for revenge. In "Spellbound" he goes to Mateo's Royal Wizard coronation to steal a magic book called the Codex Maru. But he was turned into a statue by Mateo. However, he was revived in "Rise of the Sorceress" by Shuriki and the Delgados and joined forces with them to take back the kingdom.
- Orizaba (Eden Espinosa) is a moth fairy that appeared in "The Scepter of Light" where she tried to plunge the kingdom into darkness with the Eye of Midnight. But Elena managed to defeat her and destroyed the Eye forever.
- Troyo (Grant George) is an evil magical coyote who appears in the episode, "Flight of the Jaquins". Long ago, he used to go around tricking people into doing bad stuff for him so he could be King of the Jungle. For this, the Jaquins kicked him out of the jungle. He captures two young Jaquins to force Chief Zephyr to make him King of the Jungle. But was defeated by Skylar and his brother Nico by trapping him with his own trap. He is then tied up in gold vines by the Noblins and taken away.
- Victor and Carla Delgado (Lou Diamond Phillips and Myrna Velasco) are recurring antagonists in the series. Victor was the son of the royal treasurer until one day he and Esteban conspired together to help Shuriki take over Avalor. However, Victor and his family were banished from Avalor for years until Elena took the kingdom back. In "King of the Carnaval" Victor and his daughter Carla returned and tried to steal the jewels from the royal treasury until they were stopped and banished by Elena. They returned in "Elena of Avalor: Realm of the Jaquins" where they steal a powerful jewel from the Jaquin realm and free Marimonda, in the end Victor and Carla are revealed to be working for Shuriki to help her take over Avalor again in exchange for making them Malvagos.
- Marimonda (Noël Wells) is an evil mythical forest sprite who appeared in the special, "Elena of Avalor: Realm of the Jaquins." She is released by Victor and Carla Delgado and sent to Avalor to destroy it with her vines. Elena manages to catch her by trapping her in a magic jar and sent back to the Jaquin realm.
- Cruz (Mario Lopez) is a Jaquin who was next in line to be the new chief of Avalor's Jaquin clan. He first appeared in "A Spy in the Palace," his major role was in "Shapeshifters" where Chief Zephyr takes away his position due to him not listening. Angered, he locks Chief Zephyr in a cave and frames Elena and her friends for his disappearance. Elena managed to free Zephyr and clear her name, then she helped catch Cruz and lock him up for treason. Cruz swore he would return with the help of his sister.
The series' creator and executive producer Craig Gerber said: "It was very important to us that, since we were doing a show with a kingdom inspired by Latin American culture, that we get that right. Even though it's a fairytale world, there are things that feel very authentic." Story editor Silvia Olivias stated: "We have cultural consultants help us every step of the way. They read everything from the premise all the way through the final draft." On the show's music, Latin music consultant Rene Camacho said: "The styles of music we're using overall — it's all Latin-based, it's very festive." Consultant Diane Rodriguez stated that the series "has this visual element that's so evocative, it takes the look of the Latino culture, of the Americas, almost to another level." On July 18, 2016, the music video for "My Time" was released via cable on-demand services. The series was renewed for a second season on August 11, 2016. The series was renewed for a third season on February 13, 2017 The second season premiered on October 14, 2017.
The debut episode "First Day of Rule" was distributed on-demand on June 20, 2016 by Rogers TV in Canada. Disney scheduled the online release in the United States for July 1, 2016. An episode of the series aired as a sneak peek on Disney Channel in the UK and Ireland on July 15, 2016, and more episodes aired later in the year. A television movie titled Elena and the Secret of Avalor, which shows the origins of the series, premiered on November 20, 2016.
Home media is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.
|Elena of Avalor: Ready to Rule
||December 6, 2016
- "First Day of Rule" (Season 1 Episode 1)
- "Model Sister" (Season 1 Episode 2)
- "All Heated Up" (Season 1 Episode 3)
- "Island of Youth" (Season 1 Episode 4)
|Elena and the Secret of Avalor
||February 7, 2017
- Elena and the Secret of Avalor (Television movie)
- "Spellbound" (Season 1, Episode 5)
- "Finders Leapers" (Season 1, Episode 7)
- "Prince Too Charming" (Season 1, Episode 6)
- "Royal Retreat" (Season 1 Episode 8)
- Jaquin mobile
- Music video: "My Time"
|Elena of Avalor: Celebrations to Remember
||September 12, 2017
- "A Day to Remember" (Season 1, Episode 9)
- "Navidad" (Season 1, Episode 11)
- "King of the Carnival" (Season 1, Episode 17)
- "My Fair Naomi" (Season 1, Episode 18)
- "Crystal in the Rough" (Season 1, Episode 14)
- "Captain Turner Returns" (Season 1, Episode 16)
Awards and nominations
- ^ Priscilla Rodriguez (July 18, 2016). "Elena of Avalor First Latina Disney Princess Facts". Latina. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- ^ "First Day of Rule". Elena of Avalor. Season 1. Episode 1.
But you did not age, mija. Technically, you're still sixteen.
- ^ "The Jewel of Maru". Elena of Avalor. Season 1. Episode 26.
It's hard to know when you're just seventeen.
- ^ Maeve McDermott (July 12, 2016). "How Disney Brought Elena of Avalor's Latin Heritage to Life". USA Today. Retrieved July 14, 2016.
- ^ Erik Pederson (August 11, 2016). "Disney's Elena of Avalor Gets Season 2 Renewal". Deadline. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- ^ Denise Petski (February 13, 2017). "Elena of Avalor Renewed for Season 3 by Disney Channel". Deadline. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- ^ Mitch Metcalf (July 25, 2016). "Top 150 Friday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 7.22.2016". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- ^ Mitch Metcalf (October 3, 2017). "Top 150 Sunday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.1.2017". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- ^ Mitch Metcalf (October 17, 2017). "Top 150 Saturday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 10.14.2017". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- ^ Mercedes Milligan (June 10, 2016). "Elena of Avalor Takes Disney Channel Throne July 22". Animation Magazine. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- ^ Disney Channel UK (July 12, 2016). Elena of Avalor Sneak Peak!. YouTube. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- ^ Disney Channel UK [@DisneyChannelUK] (July 22, 2016). "@Danielle_TW_Dee Hi Danielle, the episode you've seen is a little sneak peek of the full series coming later this year. 😊 Hope you liked it!" (Tweet). Retrieved August 16, 2016 – via Twitter.
- ^ Greg Evans (June 9, 2016). "Disney Channel Sets Premiere Date For Sofia Spinoff Elena Of Avalor". Deadline. Retrieved June 30, 2016.
- ^ "First Day of Rule". Elena of Avalor. Season 1. Episode 1. 0:00 minutes in.
Elena: Shuriki tried to strike me down, but the amulet saved my life, by pulling me inside it. Alacazar found the amulet and summoned his spirit animal Zuzo, who sent him on a journey to free me. It took a little longer than I'd hoped. Forty-one years. But one magical day, I was freed from the amulet.
- ^ Elena of Avalor. Season 1. Episode 1. 5:00 minutes in.
Isabel: How can I sleep after being trapped in an enchanted painting for forty-one years? That's fourteen thousand nine hundred sixty-five days.
- ^ David Lambert (August 26, 2016). "Elena of Avalor – Disney Sent Over a Press Release for Ready to Rule on DVD". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- ^ David Lambert (November 15, 2016). "Elena of Avalor – Press Release: DVD for the Crossover Special with Sofia the First". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved December 21, 2016.