An article from 2013 described the effects from overdose (in a 19-year-old woman) as including vomiting, seizures and fatal cardiac toxicity.
In 2016, the young Russian chess player Ivan Bukavshin died of a massive overdose (or poisoning) of the drug, which was originally thought to be a stroke. his doses was 17 mg/kg in the blood stream.
In Israel the product is known under the brand name "No-Spa" by the general public which did not receive a permit to be distributed by the health ministry, However due to high demand local medical counterfeiters had managed to smuggle No-Spa tablets during the years.
In 2008 the Israeli health organization warned consumers from counterfeit No-SPA pills after a smuggler had been arrested at the Ben Gurion Airport with several thousand pills.
In 2011 Israeli patent and trade mark office declined the use of the No-SPA.