|Owner||Renfe Operadora & Regional Rail Operators (FGC)|
|Transit type||Commuter rail|
Cercanías (Spanish: [θerkaˈni.as]) is the name given to the commuter rail systems of Spain's major metropolitan areas. In the Valencian Community, the term is replaced by Rodalia (Valencian: [roðaˈli.a]), while the designation Aldiriak (Basque: [aldiɾiak]) is used in the Basque Country. In Catalonia (where the main administrator is the regional government), it is commonly known as Rodalies (Catalan: [ruðəˈli.əs]).
Operated by the national rail company Renfe Operadora, Cercanías are in the process of being transferred to the regional autonomous governments. The former Rodalies Barcelona was handed over to the Catalan Government and renamed "Rodalies de Catalunya ".
There are currently twelve Cercanías systems in Spain (including the distinct Rodalies system in Catalonia): Asturias, Bilbao, Cádiz, Catalonia, Madrid, Málaga, Murcia/Alicante, Santander, San Sebastián, Seville, Valencia, and Zaragoza. It is well linked to Metro systems in Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia.
The Madrid Cercanîas network was the target of the 2004 Madrid train bombings. The attacks, which killed 191 people in Santa Eugenia, El Pozo and Atocha stations, were the bloodiest terrorist actions in Spain to date.
List of Cercanías / Rodalies / Rodalia / Aldiriak systems
- Cercanías Asturias
- Rodalies de Catalunya – serves Barcelona city, metropolitan area and province, as well as parts of Girona and Tarragona provinces)
- Rodalies Barcelona (or Rodalia de Barcelona) – serves Barcelona city, metropolitan area and province
- Cercanías Bilbao (Bilboko Aldiriak)
- Cercanías Cádiz
- Cercanías Madrid
- Cercanías Málaga
- Cercanías Murcia/Alicante (Rodalia de Múrcia/Alacant)
- Cercanías Santander
- Cercanías San Sebastián (Donostiako Aldiriak)
- Cercanías Sevilla
- Cercanías Valencia (Rodalia de València)
- Cercanías Zaragoza
The Cercanías services use these rolling stock:
|This Spanish railway-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|