Arambagh is a town and a municipality in Hooghly district in the state of West Bengal, India. It is the headquarters of Arambagh subdivision.
Arambagh is located at 22°53′N 87°47′E / 22.88°N 87.78°E. It has an average elevation of 15 metres (118 feet). The town is situated on the link Road (state highway-2) 81 km north-west of Kolkata. It is located on the bank of the Dwarakeswar River.
As per 2011 Census of India Arambagh had a total population of 66,175 of which 33,443 (51%) were males and 32,732 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 6,522. The total number of literates in Arambagh was 48,338 (81.03% of the population over 6 years).
As of 2001census, Arambagh had a population of 66,175. Males constitute 62% of the population and females 38%. Arambagh has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 79% male literacy and 58% of female literacy. 17% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Arambagh police station has jurisdiction over Arambagh municipal area and Arambagh CD Block.
CD Block HQ
The headquarters of Arambagh CD Block are located at Arambagh.
The maximum temperature during summer rises up to 42 °C(2016) while minimum temperature during winter comes down to 8 °C. Average annual rainfall is 1600 millimetres.
This is a rice and potato agricultural area with several rice mills and cold storages.
Arambagh sub-division was formed in 1879. It was known as Jahanabad Sub-Division as the headquarters of the sub-division was the town of Jahanabad.Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay was the first Sub-Divisional Officer of Arambagh. On 19 April 1900 the name was changed from Jahanabad to Arambagh, which means "the garden of ease and comfort". Other prominent figures from the district were:
- Rammohan Roy – Reformer. He was Ambassador of Mughal Emperor.
- Prafulla Chandra Sen – Freedom fighter, Chief Minister of W.B.
- Ramkrishna Parmahnsa - Indian Hindu mystic and saint during the 19th century Bengal. Kamarpukur was his birthplace.
- Prasanna Kumar Sarbadhikary – First Patiganit (arithmetic book in Bengali) writer.
- Nandlal Maity - Writer of history of mathematics in Bengali in three volume.
- Narayan Ch Ghosh - Defined the term Folkmathematics - mathematics that is manifestation of folk life.
Two government sponsored public libraries are situated in Arambagh. Raja Rammohan Roy Pathagar-o- Sanskriti Parishad is the oldest and most popular library of this area. Another library is Arambagh Sub Divisional library. Besides these two, there are many other public libraries in the surrounding area.
Arambagh City is having a good Art and Cultural background under the aegis of the Artist Hariprasad Medda (student of great Indian master Nandalal Bose) and his some meritorious disciples given a good place to this city. Singer Ajit Barik and his disciples created a similar mark in classical music and Najrul geeti and Rabindra Sangeet.
CBSE affiliated Schools
CISCE (ICSE/ISC) Schools
West Bengal Board affiliated schools
- Kapsit High School, Kapsit, Arambagh, Hooghly
- Batanal Union High School
- Arambagh High School
- Kalipur Swamiji High School
- Kidzee Arambagh (Preschool)
- Bajua High School
- Arambagh Girls High School
- Parul Ramkrishna Sarada High School
- Arambagh Boys Primari School
- Basanta Prathamik Vidhyalaya
- K.B.Roy High School
- Saraswati Sishu Mandir, Balibela
- Tirol High School, Tirol
- Gourhati Haradas Institution
- Golta High School
- Golta Nimna Buniadi Vidyalaya
- Joyrampur Netaji High School
- Muthadanga R.K. High School
- Bhurkunda High School (H.S)
- Naisarai High School
- Nirvoipur Badalkona Giya Nilkantha Sikshanikaten
- Uttor Badalkona Prathomik Bidyaloy
- Hatbasantapur Hara Parbbati Institution (H.S.)
- Goghat High School (HS)
- Bengai High School
- Shaikhpur High School, Uttar Rasulpur, Hooghly
- Karui P.C High School (H.S) Karui, arambagh, hooghly, 712615
- Baradongal R N Institution (H.S), Baradongal, Hooghly, 712617
- Kumursha Sital Chandra Dey Vidyamandir (H.S), Kumursha, Hooghly, 712616
- Saora Union High School, Saora, hooghly
- Ghoshpur Union Netaji Vidyapith, Ghoshpur, Hooghly
- Gourhati Haradas Institution
- Raghunathput Saradamoni Valika Vidyalaya
- Ghasua Janata High School
- Mayal K.C. Roy Institution
- Thakuranichak Union High School
- Thakuranichak BBD Institution
- Dhanyaghori High School, Bandar
- Ghoradaha Sudhanya Charan High School
- Pole P.C.Sen High School
- Bengejola High School
- Ramnagar Atul Vidyalaya
- Madhurpur High School
- Patul Ganeshbazar High School(HS)
- Radhaballavpur High School
- Balarampur Primary School
- Mohanpur Primary School
- Khudiram Child Learning Centre (primary school)
- Anandamarga School (primary school), Rabindrapally, Arambagh
- Sisu Guchho (primary school)
- Kashinath Primary School
- Nirvoipur Primary School
- Chandibati Primary School
General degree colleges
- Aghorekamini Prakashchandra Mahavidyalaya, Bengai, Goghat II CD Block
- Arambagh Girls' College, Arambagh
- Kabikankan Mukundaram Mahavidyalaya, Keshabpur, Arambagh CD Block
- Netaji Mahavidyalaya, Kalipur, Arambagh
- Rabindra Mahavidyalaya, Champadanga, Pursurah
- Raja Rammohan Roy Mahavidyalaya, Radhanagore, Khanakul I CD Block
- Sri Ramkrishna Sarada Vidyamahapith, Kamarpukur, Goghat II CD Block
- ITI-Bengai, Goghat
- Arambagh Government Polytechnic, Arambagh