This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.

Angiulo Brothers

The Angiulo Brothers (Italian: [ˈandʒulo]; Donato, 21 March 1923 – 3 May 2009, Francesco, 1921 – 30 May 2015, Gennaro, 1919 – 29 August 2009, and James), were the leading Italian-American crime group from Boston's North End, during the late 1960s until the mid 1980s. Also, the street crew extended into East Boston, Roxbury, Waltham, Newton, Watertown, parts of Revere, and all other predominity Italian American neighborhoods in Eastern Massachusetts. Their criminal organization was dubbed "In-Town," because one had to go in to town to visit the Angiulo Brothers.

As made men in the Patriarca crime family, they were placed in control of the racketeering throughout Massachusetts,[1] until Irish Mob groups such as the Winter Hill Gang and the Charlestown Mob decided to run the rackets in their own neighborhoods. During this time Winter Hill Gang members Whitey Bulger and Stephen Flemmi were informing on their Italian mob colleagues by allowing the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to bug their headquarters during the early 1980s.

Gennaro "Jerry" Angiulo was born in Boston’s North End on March 20, 1919, to the late Cesare and Giovannina (Femiani) Angiulo. He grew up with his brother Francesco, and his late siblings Stella Orlandella, Nicolo, Donato, Antonio, and Michele Angiulo. Gennaro Angiulo enlisted in the U.S. Navy at the beginning of World War II and served 4 years in the Pacific Theatre. He achieved the rank of Chief Boatswain's Mate. Upon completion of his service to the United States, he moved back to the North End of Boston.[1]

The FBI had been after him since the early 1960s. With the help of the FBI's own criminal informants James "Whitey" Bulger and Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, they were able to gain a great deal of incriminating information regarding Angiulo's racketeering operations. The FBI was able to successfully plant listening devices in a bar he owned on Tremont Street. He was arrested September 19, 1983, at his North End hangout, then convicted three years later on racketeering charges.[1]

Francesco Angiulo was personally arrested by FBI agent John Connolly.

Gennaro Angiulo was granted parole and was released from federal prison on September 10, 2007. He died from kidney failure at Massachusetts General Hospital on August 29, 2009.[1]


  1. ^ a b c d Murphy, Shelley (August 30, 2009). "Mob boss Gennaro 'Jerry' Angiulo dies at 90". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 28 May 2010.

External links