|Founder||Ghanshyam Das Birla|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Kumar Mangalam Birla (Chairman)|
|Revenue||US$41 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||List of subsidiaries|
The Aditya Birla Group is an Indian multinational conglomerate named after Aditya Vikram Birla, headquartered in the Aditya Birla Centre in Worli, Mumbai, India. It operates in 40 countries with more than 120,000 employees worldwide. The group was founded by Seth Shiv Narayan Birla in 1857. The group interests in sectors such as viscose staple fibre, metals, cement (largest in India), viscose filament yarn, branded apparel, carbon black, chemicals, fertilisers, insulators, financial services, telecom (third largest in India), BPO and IT services.
The group had a revenue of approximately US$41 billion in year 2015. It is the third-largest Indian private sector conglomerate behind Tata Group with revenue of just over US$100 billion and RIL with revenue of US$74 billion.
The Group's non-ferrous metals are under Hindalco Industries. Its manufacturing locations are primarily in India and it owns mines in Australia. On 11 February 2007, the company entered into an agreement to acquire the Canadian company Novelis for US$6 billion, making the combined entity the world's largest rolled-aluminium producer. On 15 May 2007, the acquisition was completed with Novelis shareholders receiving $44.93 per outstanding share of common stock. The Group plans to close a part of its aluminium foil making mill in UK and shift that to its plant near Nagpur.
Hindalco makes alumina chemicals, primary aluminium, rolled products, alloy wheels, roofing sheets, wire rods, cast copper rods, copper cathodes and several other products.
The Group's cement business was earlier under Grasim Industries and UltraTech Cement. The two entities have now been merged into UltraTech Cement to form India's largest cement company. UltraTech Cement was acquired from L&T in 2004.
The Aditya Birla Group is the world's largest producer of Viscose staple fibre industry. It operates from India, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and China. It owns the Birla Cellulose brand. Apart from viscose staple fibre, the group also owns acrylic fibre businesses in Egypt and Thailand, viscose filament yarn businesses and spinning mills in India and South East Asia. The group has pulp and plantation interests in Canada and Laos. Its two companies i.e. Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd and Grasim Bhiwani Textiles Ltd which is a subsidiary of Grasim Industries are in textile business.
Aditya Birla Group is the majority shareholder of Idea Cellular. Idea Cellular was started as a joint venture with the group, AT&T and the Tata Group. After an IPO on the Indian stock markets, Idea Cellular now accounts for a third of the group's market capitalisation. The company is headquartered in Mumbai.
Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG)
Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG) is the umbrella brand for all the financial services business of The Aditya Birla Group. ABFSG ranks among the top 5 fund managers in India (excluding LIC) with an AUM of USD 23 billion. Having a strong presence across the life insurance, asset management, lending (excl Housing), housing finance, equity & commodity broking, wealth management and distribution, online money management portal – Aditya Birla Money MyUniverse, general insurance advisory and private equity and health insurance businesses. ABFSG is committed to serve the end-to-end financial services needs of its retail and corporate customers. In FY 2013-14, ABFSG reported consolidated revenue from these businesses at just under ₹ 7,000 crore and profits of about ₹ 750 crore. Anchored by over 14,000 employees and trusted by over 60 lakh customers, ABFSG has a nationwide reach through 1,500 points of presence and about 1.3 lakh agents / channel partners.
Aditya Birla Group of Companies
- Aditya Birla Chemicals (India) Limited
- Aditya Birla Chemicals (Thailand) Limited
- Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (ABFSG)
- Birla Sun Life Insurance
- Birla Sun Life Asset Management Company Ltd
- Aditya Birla Finance Limited
- Aditya Birla Money Limited
- Aditya Birla Online Fashion Private Limited
- Aditya Birla Insurance Brokers
- Aditya Birla Capital Advisors Private Limited
- Aditya Birla Minerals
- Aditya Birla Nuvo Limited
- Aditya Birla Retail
- Aditya Birla Science and Technology Company Limited
- Alexandria Carbon Black Company SAE
- Alexandria Fibre Company SAE
- Birla Jingwei Fibres Company Limited
- Birla Laos Pulp and Plantations Company Limited
- Dahej Harbour & Infrastructure Limited
- Hindalco Industries
- Domsjö Fabriker
- Essel Mining and Industries
- Grasim Industries Limited
- Idea Cellular Limited
- Indo-Phil Cotton Mills
- Indo-Phil Textile Mills
- Indo-Thai Synthetics
- Liaoning Birla Carbon Company Limited
- Louis Philippe
- Novelis Inc
- Pan Century Surfactants Inc
- Peter England
- PT Elegant Textile Industry
- PT Indo-Bharat Rayon
- PT Indo-Liberty Textiles
- PT Indo-Raya Kimia
- PT Sunrise Bumi Textiles
- Swiss Singapore Overseas Enterprises Pte Limited
- Thai Acrylic Fibre
- Thai Carbon Black
- Thai Rayon
- Van Heusen
- UltraTech Cement Limited
- Utkal Alumina International Limited
- Pantaloons Fashion & Retail
The group's philanthropic activities are looked after by Mrs Rajashree Birla. Group also runs 45 schools and 18 hospitals.
- Birla Public School, Pilani
- Birla Vidya Niketan, New Delhi
- Aditya Birla Public School, Nagda Jn
- Aditya Birla Senior Secondary School, Nagda Jn
- Sarala Birla Academy
- Aditya Birla Public School, Renusagar
- Aditya Birla Public School, Renukoot
- Aditya Birla World Academy, Mumbai
- Aditya Birla Intermediate College
- Aditya Birla Public School, Kharach
- Aditya Birla Higher Secondary School, Veraval
- Aditya Birla Public School, Veraval
- Aditya Birla Public School, Jagdishpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Sarla Birla Academy, Bengaluru
- Aditya Birla Public school, Tikiri-Rayagada
- Aditya Birla Public School, Khor, Madhya Pradesh
- Aditya Birla Public School, Chittaurgarh, Rajasthan
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science- Pilani, Goa, Dubai, Hyderabad
- Birla Institute of Management Technology BIMTECH-Greater Noida, Bhubaneshwar
PS: BIT Mesra & other colleges come under the C.K Birla group and not ABG
- Kumar Mangalam Birla
- Birla family
- Birla Foundation
- Aditya Birla Minacs
- Grasim Industries
- Yash Birla Group
- CK Birla Group
- Columbian Chemicals Plant explosion hoax in Centerville, St Mary Parish, Louisiana
- "Aditya Birla Group | Our group | Milestones". Adityabirla.com. Archived from the original on 19 November 2010. Retrieved 19 November 2010.
- "Aditya Birla Group | Our Group | Aditya Birla Group Profile". Adityabirla.com. 23 June 2010.
- "!DEA – An !dea can change your life". Ideacellular.com. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Contact." Aditya Birla Group. Retrieved on 6 November 2013. "Aditya Birla Group Headquarters - Aditya Birla Centre, 3rd Floor, S K Ahire Marg, Worli, Mumbai, India"
- "Media | Press releases | Hindalco Industries Ltd. and Novelis Inc. announce an agreement for Hindalco's acquisition of Novelis for nearly US$ 6 billion". Hindalco. 11 February 2007. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Aditya Birla Group – Aditya Birla Group India – Aditya Birla Group Profile – History of Aditya Birla Group". Iloveindia.com. 21 July 2007. Archived from the original on 25 August 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Best Employers in India 2007". Hewitt Associates Best Employers in India Survey. 13 April 2007. Archived from the original on 14 October 2007. Retrieved 20 September 2007.
- "Hindalco Industries good for long-term investment-Investor's Guide-Features-The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 5 July 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- S. Prasannarajan (26 March 2007). "India Today". India Today. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "AVB Group plans to move part of UK mill to India date=30 June 2012". The Times Of India. 30 June 2012.
- "Birla buys Novelis for $6 bn". The Indian Express (India). 12 February 2007. Retrieved 12 February 2007.
- "Hindalco deal may not impact aluminium prices". The Hindu Business Line. 13 February 2007. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Aditya Birla Nuvo Ltd(500303|ABIRLANUVO) Fundamental details about Management Discussions". Indiainfoline.com. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Birla rejigs fibre, pulp business-Jobs-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 3 May 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Aditya Birla Group's think tank gets younger-Corporate Trends-News By Company-News-The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 25 June 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Hindalco Industries Ltd. | CSR Rating 2009 – Corporate Social Responsibility – India | Details of CSR of the 1–500 companies for the year 08-09". www.karmayog.org. 9 February 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- Aditya Birla Official site
- Aditya Birla Retail
- Linen Club
- Aditya Birla Minerals
- Aditya Birla Financial Services Group
- Aditya Birla Finance Limited
- Aditya Birla Housing Finance Limited
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aditya Birla.|