44 (forty-four) is the natural number following 43 and preceding 45.
Forty-four is a tribonacci number, an octahedral number and the number of derangements of 5 items.
Since the greatest prime factor of 442 + 1 = 1937 is 149 and thus more than 44 twice, 44 is a Størmer number.
Given Euler's totient function, φ(44) = 20 and φ(69) = 44.
44 is a repdigit
In decimal notation (base 10), 44 is a palindromic number and a happy number.
In other fields
- The name of a mysterious savior of Poland prophesied by the Polish national poet Adam Mickiewicz in his masterpiece dramatic poem Dziady (Forefathers): In scene 5 of act 3, the priest Piotr announces a "reviver of the nation" who is to bring back the lost freedom of Poland, and describes him with these words:
- Born from a foreign mother, his blood of ancient heroes,
- And his name will be forty and four.
- A poker game in which each player is dealt four cards down, and four cards are dealt face down on the table in a row. The first three cards on the table are "community" cards and may be used in any player's hand. The fourth card and any card matching it in rank is wild, and can also be used in a hand (each player is guaranteed one wild card). For each of four rounds, one "community" card is flipped up and a round of betting occurs. After the last round, the winner is the person with the highest poker hand.
- +44 is the name of the band including Blink-182 vocalist/bassist Mark Hoppus and Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker.
- In the song "44 Fours" by Jay Z, he rhymes the words four, for and fore 44 times. This song is a follow up from the song "22 Two's".
- Vicks Formula 44 is a cough suppressant
- The number of the French department Loire-Atlantique
- A blues song, Forty-Four, also known as "44 Blues"
- Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger features Satan's supposed nephew, who's alternate name in parallel works is "44".
- The number of candles in a box of Hanukkah candles.
- An agent in the American Television series Get Smart goes under the title of 44, usually assigned to small, enclosed, unexpected spots, to meet Maxwell Smart, agent 86.
- Number 44 (Russian: Номер 44) is the Russian localized title for a 2015 American-British mystery thriller film Child 44.
- In an operation to capture Zulkifli Abdhir and Abdul Basit Usman, 44 of the Philippine National Police Special Action Force died during the Mamasapano clash, they were later dubbed as The Fallen 44 or SAF 44.
- Former Portuguese prime-minister José Sócrates is known as "Prisoner 44".
- +44 is the code for international direct-dial phone calls to United Kingdom.
- 44 Is the Number Used By 6-Time British Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton since the 2014 season (In which he won his 2nd championship).
- In the song "44 Bars" by Logic, his verse is exactly 44 bars long.
AD 44, 44 BC, 1944, 2044, etc.