This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.
1979 in South Africa
The following lists events that happened during 1979 in South Africa.
- Sergeant Benjamin Letlako, a Police Special Branch member, is shot dead in Katlehong.
- Explosives are discovered and defused on a railway line near Soweto.
- 22 – A Vela satellite detects a flash in the southern Atlantic Ocean, believed to be a South African-Israeli nuclear test.
- Guerrillas open fire and hurl grenades in the Orlando Police Station charge office, killing two policemen and wounding two.
- Grenades are thrown into the home of Special Branch policeman Lt Magezi Ngobeni and five children are wounded.
- A bomb explodes and damages the railway line near Alice.
- A bomb explodes at the Sasol Oil Refineries and cause massive structural damage.
- Unknown date
- 10 January – Louise Carver, singer-songwriter, pianist
- 14 February – Wesley Moodie, tennis player
- 23 February – Jaco van Zyl, golfer
- 9 April – Ryan Cox, professional road racing cyclist. (d. 2007)
- 23 June – Marilyn Agliotti, field hockey player
- 9 October – Hendrik Odendaal, swimmer
- 21 November – Jason Hartman, singer-songwriter
- 16 December – Trevor Immelman, golfer
- 28 December – Elvis Blue, singer, musician