This page uses content from Wikipedia and is licensed under CC BY-SA.

1937 South American Championship Final

1937 South American Championship Final
Event1937 South American Championship
DateFebruary 1, 1937
VenueEstadio Gasómetro, Buenos Aires
RefereeAníbal Tejada (Uruguay)

The 1937 South American Championship Final was the final match to determine the South American Cup champion. It was held on February 1, 1937, in San Lorenzo de Almagro's venue, Estadio Gasómetro of Buenos Aires. Because of the heat (the tournament was played in Summer), most of the matches were played at night (Estadio Gasómetro was the only stadium in Argentina with artificial lighting by then) while other games were played at daytime (being held in River Plate's venue, Estadio Alvear y Tagle.[1]

Argentina won the match against Brazil by a 2-0 score, winning its fifth continental title.[2]


Brazil had attended the competition without two of their most notable players, defender Domingos da Guia (champion with Boca Juniors two years before) and striker Leonidas da Silva, nicknamed the Black Diamond. As the tournament was played in a single round-robin system, Argentina and Brazil finished tied on points at the end of the tournament. Therefore, a playoff match had to be played to crown a champion, according to the rules.[1]

The match was held in San Lorenzo stadium, were both teams played hard, committing several number of fouls. After Brazilian player Domingos Spitalletti kicked Francisco Varallo violently in the 36th minute, a riot involving all the players (even some substitutes) started. After a hiatus of 40', the match restarted. Nevertheless, just two minutes a new riot happened after Cunha hit Cherro on his face.

For the second half Carlos Peucelle replaced Cherro and veteran Bernabé Ferreyra substituted Zozaya. A young Vicente de la Mata replaced Varallo, who had been injured. De la Mata had played in the loss to Uruguay, with a poor performance.

Argentina and Brazil tied 0–0 at the end of the regulation time, playing additional time (two halves of 20' each) to crown a champion. Independiente's forward, an earlier Vicente de la Mata (19 years), scored two goals within four minutes, allowing Argentina to achieve its fifth South American championship.[3] The match ended at almost 2 a.m. in Buenos Aires.

Match details

Argentina 2–0
De la Mata Goal 102'112'
Attendance: 80,000
Referee: Aníbal Tejada (Uruguay)
GK Fernando Bello
DF Oscar Tarrío
DF Luis M. Fazio
MF Antonio Sastre
MF Ernesto Lazzatti
MF Celestino Martínez
FW Enrique Guaita
FW Francisco Varallo Substituted off
FW Alberto Zozaya Substituted off
FW Roberto Cherro Substituted off
FW Enrique García
FW Vicente de la Mata Substituted in
FW Bernabé Ferreyra Substituted in
FW Carlos Peucelle Substituted in
Argentina Manuel Seoane
GK Jurandir
DF Carnera
DF Jaú
MF Britto
MF Brandão
MF Afonsinho
FW Roberto Substituted off
FW Luisinho Substituted off
FW Cardeal Substituted off
FW Tim
FW Patesko
FW Carreiro Substituted in
FW Bahia Substituted in
FW Carvalho Leite Substituted in
Brazil Adhemar Pimenta


Some journalist consider this match the beginning of the Argentina–Brazil football rivalry.[1] This tournament was also the closure of an era with the Argentine squad for some of the most notable players such as Enrique Guaita, Alberto Zozaya, Alejandro Scopelli, Bernabé Ferreyra, Carlos Peucelle and Francisco Varallo.


  1. ^ a b c Copa América: a 80 años de una final histórica on Xenen
  2. ^ Southamerican Championship 1937 by Martín Tabeira on the RSSSF
  3. ^ Argentina de América, capítulo 5 on AFA website
  4. ^ Oliver, Guy (1992). The Guinness Record of World Soccer. Guinness publishing. p. 555. ISBN 0-85112-954-4.