PaestumAncient greek city with three Doric temples Campania / Italy
Literature and links
Mario Napoli: Paestum, Istituto Geografico De Agostini, Novara, 1970.
Emanuele Greco et al: Poseidonia-Paestum, École française de Rome, 1980-99, 4 voll.: "La Curia", "L'Agora", "Forum Nord", "Forum ovest-sud-est". Order from Amazon.com.
- UNESCO World Heritage: Cilento and Vallo di Diano National Park with the Archeological sites of Paestum and Velia, and the Certosa di Padula.
- Vitruvio: Paestum
This article has been split into 8 separate sections. Use the menu below to jump to another section.
- Poseidonia - The Greek City
- The Lucanian Conquest
- Paestum - The Roman Colony
- Decline and Disappearance
- Rediscovery of the City
- Literature and links
- Archaeological Museum
- City Walls
- Doric Column - A votive column, part of a lost sanctuary, c. 550 BCE
- Gymnasium - Palestra with pool with labyrinth
- Hellenistic Pool
- Piazzale Anfiteatro
- Porta della Giustizia
- Private Houses
- Sacred Pool of Hera
- Temple of Athena - Archaic Doric Temple, c. 500 BCE
- Temple of Hera I - Archaic Doric temple, c. 550 BCE
- Temple of Hera II - Archaic Doric temple, c. 470-460 BCE
- Temple of the Forum
- Underground Shrine - An enigmatic sanctuary, possibly a heroon
- Via Sacra
Copyright © 2005 René Seindal, last changed 2005-06-04Site Search Quicklinks Venice Kayak - guided kayak tours in Venice, Italy