Room of the Fishing CupidsCubicle with cute mosaic and remains of wall painting Villa Romana del Casale / Piazza Armerina / Sicily / Italy
The Room of the Fishing Cupids is a guest room in the Villa Romana del Casale. It is located to the north of the peristyle, between the Room of the Dance, the Room of the Seasons and the Room of the Little Hunt.
This room is most likely a cubiculum, i.e., a bedroom, intended for the guests of the owner of the villa. The very elaborate mosaics makes it a high status environment. The Room of the Seasons is the antechamber of this room
The mosaic depicts cupids fishing from boats. There are four boats with three cupids each, employing an array of fishing techniques, such as the net, the trident, the fishing rod and the trap. The sea abounds with a variety of seafood and the cupids are getting a good catch. In the background, on the shore, there is a villa with a colonnade facing the sea and behind the villa different trees.
The mosaic is generally well preserved except for some lacunae in the centre.
The lower parts of the walls are still covered with stucco and frescoes. The frescoes are of geometric design in yellow and red, with rectangular panels with what appears to be human figures. Only the lower half of the figures remain.
Prints of the photographs are available — read more here.
The pictures above are taken in the following locations:
- Peristyle - The central open space in a Roman house (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Room of the Dance - Cubicle with mosaics of dancing women (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Room of the Little Hunt - Living room with scenes of hunting and offering to Diana (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Room of the Seasons - Room with geometric mosaics with allegories of the four seasons (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Atrium of the Fishing Cupids - The atrium of the larger private apartment (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
Copyright © 2003 René Seindal, last changed 2003-08-06Site Search Quicklinks Venice Kayak - guided kayak tours in Venice, Italy