Room of the DanceCubicle with mosaics of dancing women Villa Romana del Casale / Piazza Armerina / Sicily / Italy
The Room of the Dance is a guest room in the Villa Romana del Casale. It is located to the north of the peristyle, between the Service rooms with geometric mosaics and the Room of the Fishing Cupids. There is an antechamber between the room and the peristyle.
The room is, together with the antechamber, most likely a cubiculum, i.e., a bedroom, intended for the guests of the owner of the villa. It is certainly a high status room, due to the use of figurative mosaics. Such expensive mosaics would not be placed in a service room mostly used by slaves.
The mosaic in the room has large lacunae, but some figures are almost complete. In the upper part, away from the door, there are one or two dancing women to the left and to the right a man is grabbing a woman who is resisting. In the middle there are fragments of a female dancer. The dancing women are hurling their scarfs into the air.
Little remains of the lower part of the mosaic, but to the left a woman appears to evade the attempts of a man to grab her, and to the right there are very small fragments of at least two persons.
The mosaic is very damaged, but from what remains it could be a depiction of the Rape of the Sabine Women.
The lower parts of the wall is still covered with stucco painted with geometric designs.
The antechamber has all but lost the mosaics.
Prints of the photographs are available — read more here.
The pictures above are taken in the following locations:
- Peristyle - The central open space in a Roman house (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Rape of the Sabine Women - Myth about how the Romans abducted the women of the Sabines (Roman Religion and Mythology, Lexicon)
- Room of the Fishing Cupids - Cubicle with cute mosaic and remains of wall painting (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Room of the Seasons - Room with geometric mosaics with allegories of the four seasons (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Service rooms with geometric mosaics - Offices, work rooms and kitchen (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
- Cubicle with Erotic Mosaic - Bedroom with geometric mosaic and wall paintings (Villa Romana del Casale, Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy)
Copyright © 2003 René Seindal, last changed 2003-08-06Site Search Quicklinks Venice Kayak - guided kayak tours in Venice, Italy