PenatesGuardian spirits of the pantry Roman Religion and Mythology / Lexicon
The Penates or Di Penates were the protectors of the pantry, the penus, in each family. At each meal a part of it would be thrown into the hearth to the Penates.
The Penates Publici were to the Roman State what the penates were to each family.
- Forum Romanum - The Roman Forum was the political and religious centre in ancient Rome (Rome, Italy)
- Lares - Guardian spirits of the household, of crossroads, of sailors ... (Roman Religion and Mythology, Lexicon)
- Temple of Vesta - An ancient temple for Vesta, the goddess of the hearth, in the Roman Forum (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Vesta - Goddess of the hearth (Roman Religion and Mythology, Lexicon)
- Basilica of Maxentius - The last and largest basilica in the Roman Forum (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Temple of Romulus - Round temple probably dedicated to Romulus, son of emperor Maxentius (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
Copyright © 2003 René Seindal, last changed 2003-08-06Site Search Quicklinks Venice Kayak - guided kayak tours in Venice, Italy