RostraThe speakers platform on the Forum Forum Romanum / Rome / Italy
The Rostra was the speakers platform on the Forum Romanum in Imperial Rome. It was also called the Rostra vetera to distinguish it from the new speakers platform in front of the Temple of Divus Julius. The Rostra is located in the main square, between the Arch of Septimius Severus and the Temple of Saturn, in front of the Temple of Concord and the Temple of Vespasian and Titus.
The name of the platform comes from the decoration on the front. It consisted of the beak-like prows, called rostra, of the ships conquered in the battle of Antium in 338 BCE during the Latin War. The name and the decoration was moved with the platform from the Comitium. The holes used to mount the rostra are still visible.
The platform is built of tufa blocks, and has a length of 23.8m. From reliefs on the Arch of Constantine we know it was adorned with columns and statues. The semicircular marble decorations on the back of the platform was added by Augustus in 42 BCE.
The currently visible front is much restored.
- LacusCurtius: Platner: A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome
- LacusCurtius: Hülsen: Il Foro Romano - Storia e Monumenti
- LacusCurtius: Smith: A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities
Prints of the photographs are available — read more here.
The pictures above are taken in the following locations:
- Arch of Constantine - Triumphal arch celebrating the victory of Constantine I over Maxentius, 312 CE (Rome, Italy)
- Arch of Septimius Severus - Triumphal arch celebrating Septimius Severus victories over the Parthians (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Augustus - Roman Emperor (27 BCE-14 CE) (Romans, Historical Persons)
- Central square - The open area of the Forum Romanum (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Comitium - The ancient political centre of Rome (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Julius Caesar - Roman patrician, politician, writer, reformator, general, dictator and god (Romans, Historical Persons)
- Temple of Concord - A temple dedicate to concord between Patricians and Plebeians (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Temple of Vespasian and Titus - Temple of the deified emperors built by Domitian (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Arch of Tiberius - A lost triumphal arch from the time of Tiberus (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Column of Phocas - Honorary column to byzantine emperor Phocas (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Plutei of Trajan - Two reliefs showing Trajan doing acts of beneficence (Curia Julia, Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Temple of Saturn - The first temple in the Forum Romanum (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
- Umbilicus Urbis Romae - The symbolic center of the ancient city of Rome (Forum Romanum, Rome, Italy)
Copyright © 2003 René Seindal, last changed 2003-08-06Site Search Quicklinks Venice Kayak - guided kayak tours in Venice, Italy