Hal R. Varian
- The International Honor Society in Economics has published a special commemorative issue of its journal, The Americian Economist, that contains noteworthy articles from the past 50 years. My article, How to Build an Economic Model in Your Spare Time is included in this special issue.
- In April, 2015, I was named a Distinguished Fellow of the American Economics Association.
- On January 3, I delivered the 2010 Ely Lecture at the American Economics Association meetings.
- I have retired from Berkeley and am now serving as Chief Economist at Google.
- In 2006 I received a Humboldt Prize from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- My paper "Positions Auctions" won Paul Gerowski prize for the best article published in the International Journal of Industrial Organization in 2006.
- Here is the special issue of the Journal of Public Economics that celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Bergstrom, Blume, and Varian paper on the Private Provision of Public Goods".
- I recently received an honorary Ph.D. from the University of Karlsruhe. I also hold an honorary Ph.D. from the University of Oulu
- Accenture says I am number 9 on their list of the top 50 business intellectuals
- Fortune Magazine says that Information Rules is one of the 75 smartest books they know about strategy.
- Links to my New York Times columns
- Links to my nonacademic articles
- Link to my academic papers and books
My workBiography: of different sizes, including photos Courses: links to courses taught Talks: text and slides Writing:
- Articles (general): for a general audience
- Books: text, trade and professional
- Papers (research): primarily for an academic audience
- Botanical watercolors by Carol Varian Wonderful botanical watercolors.
- Quilts by Carol Varian Beautiful landscape quilts.
Electronic addressesEmail: hal "at" sims.berkeley.edu
Office: South Hall. Click here for map and directions.